UK Mobile Phones (uk.telecom.mobile) Mobile telephone equipment and networks.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #12   Report Post  
Old July 20th 13, 05:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: May 2004
Posts: 1,431
Default When is a phone company not a phone company?

When it is 3.

Welcome to their incomparable standards of customer service.

You are going to have to try again. - why not get another SIM for your
Vodafone number - something that AFAIK only Voda do.

You are only 10 down on the 3 SIM, although it will probably stop working
if you don't top it up next month (something else they didn't tell you).

"Daniel James" wrote in message
...
Interesting one ...

I have a Samsung N8000 Galaxy Note 10.1, 3g version. That's an android
device with a ten-inch screen -- so most people would call it a tablet
-- but it's also a phone and can make voice calls. I've had it for a
few months (using it on WiFi, which has been available in most places
I've wanted to use it) but have finally got around to getting a SIM
card for it.

One reason I chose this device was that I wanted it to be a spare
phone, and I also wanted it to be on a different network from my usual
phone, just in case one network had decent coverage when the other
didn't.

My phone is on a Vodafone business contract ... and I ended up talking
to Three for the Note.

The gentleman in the Three shop assured me that a Three "mobile
broadband" SIM would only allow connection to 3g data services and
couldn't be used for voice at all. I started asking about their
cheapest voice contract, and whether it was possible to save money by
buying a data add-on ... he stopped me and said that he wasn't sure
that a voice SIM would work in the 10" Note device, because Three might
block it as being a computer rather than a phone. He didn't say it
wouldn't, he said it might not. He was by far the most
knowledgeable-seeming person I'd spoken to in any of the shops I'd
visited but even he couldn't give me a straight yes/no answer.

He suggested that I might try one of their PAYG SIMs because then I'd
only be out of pocket for a top-up if it got blocked, not tied to a
useless contract. That seemed like good advice.

He suggested a Three "321" PAYG deal, which gives data at 1p/MB
(10/GB, which is the same as their basic mobile broadband PAYG deal)
and on which credit does not expire. That sounded too good to be true
.. and as it happens it was. I bought the SIM and a 10 top-up,
applied the top-up by dialling 444 as you would with any other voice
phone, and everything seemed to be going well ... but when I tried to
connect to the web I got redirected to a page that said:

Your SIM will only work in your phone.
Taking your SIM card out of your phone and putting it into a
different device - like a dongle or a tablet - isn't what our
phone plans or Add-ons were designed for. You need to put your
SIM back into your phone in order to continue using it.!

I haven't moved the SIM from one device to another, of course, but
Three aren't quite clever enough to tell SIM was being used from that
the same voice-capable device from which I registered the SIM and
applied the top-up.

I had been prepared for the possibility that this wouldn't work, but
it's damned annoying. It seems that neither a phone SIM nor a data SIM
will allow me to use both voice and data from this Note, even though
the phone SIM would apparently do so without problem if I had the 5"
version of the Note rather than the 10" version -- the screen size is
the only difference as far as I can tell!

So what's one supposed to do? Just give up on any idea of using both
voice and data on anything with a screen over about 6"?

I've EMailed Three's "customer service" department to tell them that
they have misclassified my Note if they think it isn't a phone, and to
ask them what I can do to get both voice and data service from them on
this device. I shall see what they say ...

.. BUT they say that I may "normally" expect a reply within five
working days. Five DAYS for an EMail? They're extracting the urine.

Can anyone suggest a network on which using the Note 10.1 for both
voice and data would NOT be a problem?

Cheers,
Daniel.





  #15   Report Post  
Old July 21st 13, 02:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Jan 2010
Posts: 228
Default When is a phone not a phone?

In article , Gyp wrote:
When you say it's a phone that can make voice calls, do you mean that
it's a phone that can make voice calls or do you mean that it's an
andriod device that you can use for over-the-top voice applications
using wifi and/or 3G data?


I mean that it's a phone that makes voice calls. The software that
handles this seems to be almost exactly the same as the software in my
Galaxy S2 handset. This is not some fancy VOIP thing, it's a regular 3g
mobile phone that just happens to have a 10" screen.

AFAIK, the Note 10.1 can't make or receive voice calls over 2G/3G nor
send/receive SMS


Then you have been misinformed. With the SIM card I have it makes and
receives voice calls and sends/receives SMS just fine ... it's mobile
data that's not working (because it's being blocked by Three's servers).

Cheers,
Daniel.








  #16   Report Post  
Old July 21st 13, 02:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Jan 2010
Posts: 228
Default When is a phone company not a phone company?

In article , R. Mark Clayton
wrote:
When it is 3.

Welcome to their incomparable standards of customer service.


Vodafone aren't good ... Three seem much worse ...

The trouble with EE (or either of its component parts before their
joining) is that the people you get to talk to when you ask about their
services (in person in their shops, or online) are all totally without
clue about anything and will make up an obviously wrong answer rather than
admit their cluelessness. At least with Three I found a guy in a shop who
understood what I was asking about and was prepared to admit his ignorance
when I asked anything that went beyond his experience (full marks to him,
if not to his employer).

You are going to have to try again. - why not get another SIM for your
Vodafone number - something that AFAIK only Voda do.


I have asked Voda whether that was possible, in the past, and been told
that it was not. The point is, though, that one reason I want a
*different* provider for the Note is to have a chance of getting reception
when Voda can't provide it. Three seem to fill in a lot of Voda's gaps
(more than EE do, anyway).

You are only 10 down on the 3 SIM ...


True, and I am indebted to the nice man in the Three shop for suggesting
that I try PAYG rather than going for their cheapest voice contract, which
was what I had been thinking of doing, and so limiting my risk.

... although it will probably stop working if you don't top it up next
month (something else they didn't tell you).


No, I'm told it will keep on working for 90 days and that all I need to do
is to make a chargeable voice call within that period to keep it working.
The top-up does NOT expire (though the "bundles" one can buy with it last
only 30 days). If it only worked as advertised in the Note it would be a
very good tariff.

Thanks for your comments.

Cheers,
Daniel.




  #17   Report Post  
Old July 21st 13, 04:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: May 2013
Posts: 121
Default When is a phone not a phone?

Theo Markettos wrote:
wrote:
How does that help, one of our two tablets has a 'generic' IMEI number
that I put in myself. In fact it has *two* IMEI numbers because it has
two SIMs, how can that help them decide what sort of thing they're
looking at?


Really, I've not seen GSM equipment that has a user set IMEI.

On Android there's an engineering menu (very easy to get to, you don't
need to root it or anything) that allows setting of the IMEI number.

It's done with an AT command (as in how one used to talk to modems).


There's an IMEI to hardware lookup - see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_Allocation_Code
which I suspect is what they use. Possibly rejecting everything that
doesn't show up as a phone.

OK, so one of my two IMEI numbers reports:-

Model: Touch Diamond

Brand: HTC

and it says "Device type: Phone" which it isn't.


I actually tried the IMEI number from another phone of mine in the
Android tablet and it worked perfectly OK. So Android phone (or tablet)
IMEI numbers don't tell you a lot really.

--
Chris Green
·
  #18   Report Post  
Old July 21st 13, 04:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: May 2013
Posts: 121
Default When is a phone not a phone?

Graham. wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 19:48:47 +0100, wrote:

Theo Markettos wrote:
wrote:
I fail to see how the network can tell the difference between a Tablet
and a Smartphone.

IMEI, or so they think.

How does that help, one of our two tablets has a 'generic' IMEI number
that I put in myself. In fact it has *two* IMEI numbers because it has
two SIMs, how can that help them decide what sort of thing they're
looking at?



So can we assume that either section 1(3)a, or 1(3)b applies?

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...0020031_en.pdf

Yes, 3b in this case, I had to tell the 'manufacturer' how to program
the IME number after he (well, she actually) told me what the IME
numbers should be.

--
Chris Green
·
  #19   Report Post  
Old July 22nd 13, 11:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Sep 2010
Posts: 19
Default When is a phone not a phone?

Daniel James wrote:

AFAIK, the Note 10.1 can't make or receive voice calls over 2G/3G nor
send/receive SMS


Then you have been misinformed. With the SIM card I have it makes and
receives voice calls and sends/receives SMS just fine ... it's mobile
data that's not working (because it's being blocked by Three's servers).


You are of course right. I thought the Asus 7" Fonepad was the biggest
phablet.

I sit corrected.

--
--
  #20   Report Post  
Old July 22nd 13, 04:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Jan 2010
Posts: 228
Default When is a phone not a phone?

In article , Daniel James wrote:
The nice man in the Three shop told me that the device transmits some
hardware ID information (he may mean the IMEI) to the network and that
they might be using that to distinguish between different types/models
...


I've just tried Firefox for Android, which allows one to spoof the
Browser ID (aka useragent) string ... I changed the string to a generic
Android "Mobile" string, but the Three site still redirects any HTTP
request I make to its own site.

It seems happy to let me browse around its own site (and charge me
bandwidth for doing so) though.

Pah!

Cheers,
Daniel.




Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Not quite Everything not quite Everywhere Roy Brown UK Mobile Phones 38 March 13th 13 05:15 AM
New Not-Locked N61 phone does not work with 3 SIM dirc UK Mobile Phones 3 June 30th 08 03:30 PM
T-mobile disconnected me for not using my mobile. What is best network for if not using mobile for a while? [email protected] UK Mobile Phones 12 December 11th 06 01:25 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 Mobile Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about UK mobile phones"

 

Copyright © 2017