Old August 8th 13, 02:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Giffgaff reliability? (Was: When is a phone not a phone?)

Daniel James wrote:
In article , Old Codger
wrote:
... GiffGaff might be a possibility.

I've been reading more about giffgaff ... and seeing a surprising
amount of dissatisfaction among what may be a fairly small number of
users -- debits being taken but top-ups not applied, lack of service,
etc..

Now these could just be people who don't understand how giffgaff works
and aren't doing it right (it's hardly dead simple) ... but then I see
articles like:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/12/giffgaff_poll/

and I wonder ...
What's the service really like? Have you had any difficulties?
Cheers,
Daniel.

Only technical difficulty I've had with GiffGaffs website was that it used
to be somewhat browser sensitive, sometimes when using IE9 parts of
their site had problems and sometimes Chrome would have problems.
Firefox seemed the most compatible.
So be prepared to try different browsers when a web function like
online top ups fail to complete

Mind you compared to Oranges and O2s websites they are bliss

Steve Terry
--
Get a free GiffGaff PAYG Sim and 5 bonus after activation at:
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/gfourwwk

Old August 8th 13, 11:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default When is a phone not a phone?

On 08/08/2013 08:36, Bob Henson wrote:
Steve Terry wrote:

Daniel James wrote:
Mind you compared to Oranges and O2s websites they are bliss

There's a clear winner in that competition though - Vodafone's site is the
slowest that I've ever been on.

No chance.

Orange is, I think, the worst performing website I've ever used - it
went right down the pan since France Telecom took over. It had an outage
of several months for business users (at least some business logons,
including mine), with no acknowledgement of an issue for weeks, then a
grudging admission that they were looking at it. Even now, the site is
dreadfully slow - I need to download detailed charges on company
handsets every month and my general routine is to click on the next
sheet, minimise the browser and get on with something else in the meantime.

Add to that a phone system where several routes through the 'Press 1 to
be kept waiting' menu actually drops the call (every time, if I keep
trying the same one). The only reliable way in I've found is to click
the "I'm thinking of leaving Orange" option.

regards, Ian

Old August 8th 13, 02:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In article , Steve Terry wrote:
Only technical difficulty I've had with GiffGaffs website was ...

I wasn't asking about the website, I was asking about the (virtual)
network itself. Both in terms of reliability of service (compared with
the O2 network that it all runs on) and in terms of billing, top-ups,
etc. all working as they should.

There are quite a lot of adverse comments about giffgaff to be seen ...
but is that because it's easier to see comments about giffgaff or
because more of them are adverse?

There's a lot to like ...

Cheers,
Daniel.

Old August 13th 13, 09:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Thu, 8 Aug 2013 03:27:33 +0100, "Steve Terry"
wrote:

Daniel James wrote:
In article , Old Codger
wrote:
[...]

I've not managed to use any card with any browser to top up with GG.
However I usually have the same issues with sites that use VwV/3DS.

Mind you compared to Oranges and O2s websites they are bliss

+1

GG support is utterly useless too. However I am still using GG ;-)
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Old August 13th 13, 08:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In article , Old Codger wrote:
Should you decide to try I think I gat some benefit if you use the
following link to order your sim:
giffgaff.com_orders_affiliate_old_codger.htm

OK, I'm going to give giffgaff a try, and I've ordered a SIM using your
affiliate link.

I'll try it as a straight PAYG deal until I see how much data and
calls/texts I actually use, but I suspect I'll be best off with the 5
gigabag and using PAYG if I need to use voice or text.

We shall see. Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers,
Daniel.