Old July 17th 13, 10:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default When is a phone not a phone?

Interesting one ...

I have a Samsung N8000 Galaxy Note 10.1, 3g version. That's an android
device with a ten-inch screen -- so most people would call it a tablet
-- but it's also a phone and can make voice calls. I've had it for a
few months (using it on WiFi, which has been available in most places
I've wanted to use it) but have finally got around to getting a SIM
card for it.

One reason I chose this device was that I wanted it to be a spare
phone, and I also wanted it to be on a different network from my usual
phone, just in case one network had decent coverage when the other
didn't.

My phone is on a Vodafone business contract ... and I ended up talking
to Three for the Note.

The gentleman in the Three shop assured me that a Three "mobile
broadband" SIM would only allow connection to 3g data services and
couldn't be used for voice at all. I started asking about their
cheapest voice contract, and whether it was possible to save money by
buying a data add-on ... he stopped me and said that he wasn't sure
that a voice SIM would work in the 10" Note device, because Three might
block it as being a computer rather than a phone. He didn't say it
wouldn't, he said it might not. He was by far the most
knowledgeable-seeming person I'd spoken to in any of the shops I'd
visited but even he couldn't give me a straight yes/no answer.

He suggested that I might try one of their PAYG SIMs because then I'd
only be out of pocket for a top-up if it got blocked, not tied to a
useless contract. That seemed like good advice.

He suggested a Three "321" PAYG deal, which gives data at 1p/MB
(10/GB, which is the same as their basic mobile broadband PAYG deal)
and on which credit does not expire. That sounded too good to be true
... and as it happens it was. I bought the SIM and a 10 top-up,
applied the top-up by dialling 444 as you would with any other voice
phone, and everything seemed to be going well ... but when I tried to
connect to the web I got redirected to a page that said:

Your SIM will only work in your phone.
Taking your SIM card out of your phone and putting it into a
different device - like a dongle or a tablet - isn't what our
phone plans or Add-ons were designed for. You need to put your
SIM back into your phone in order to continue using it.!

I haven't moved the SIM from one device to another, of course, but
Three aren't quite clever enough to tell SIM was being used from that
the same voice-capable device from which I registered the SIM and
applied the top-up.

I had been prepared for the possibility that this wouldn't work, but
it's damned annoying. It seems that neither a phone SIM nor a data SIM
will allow me to use both voice and data from this Note, even though
the phone SIM would apparently do so without problem if I had the 5"
version of the Note rather than the 10" version -- the screen size is
the only difference as far as I can tell!

So what's one supposed to do? Just give up on any idea of using both
voice and data on anything with a screen over about 6"?

I've EMailed Three's "customer service" department to tell them that
they have misclassified my Note if they think it isn't a phone, and to
ask them what I can do to get both voice and data service from them on
this device. I shall see what they say ...

... BUT they say that I may "normally" expect a reply within five
working days. Five DAYS for an EMail? They're extracting the urine.

Can anyone suggest a network on which using the Note 10.1 for both
voice and data would NOT be a problem?

Cheers,
Daniel.

Old July 18th 13, 06:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 17/07/2013 23:46, Daniel James wrote:
Interesting one ...

I have a Samsung N8000 Galaxy Note 10.1, 3g version. That's an android
device with a ten-inch screen -- so most people would call it a tablet
-- but it's also a phone and can make voice calls.

When you say it's a phone that can make voice calls, do you mean that
it's a phone that can make voice calls or do you mean that it's an
andriod device that you can use for over-the-top voice applications
using wifi and/or 3G data?

AFAIK, the Note 10.1 can't make or receive voice calls over 2G/3G nor
send/receive SMS

--
Gyp
Old July 18th 13, 08:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In message , at 23:46:35 on Wed, 17 Jul
2013, Daniel James remarked:
I've EMailed Three's "customer service" department to tell them that
they have misclassified my Note if they think it isn't a phone, and to
ask them what I can do to get both voice and data service from them on
this device. I shall see what they say ...

.. BUT they say that I may "normally" expect a reply within five
working days. Five DAYS for an EMail? They're extracting the urine.

Luxury; some train company customer services say they'll reply in 10
days, and even then sometimes nothing is heard.

My current record is from the Local Authority when I emailed a question
about council tax payments on 7th Feb, answered 20th March.
--
Roland Perry
Old July 18th 13, 10:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 09:44:53 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 23:46:35 on Wed, 17 Jul
2013, Daniel James remarked:
I've EMailed Three's "customer service" department to tell them that
they have misclassified my Note if they think it isn't a phone, and to
ask them what I can do to get both voice and data service from them on
this device. I shall see what they say ...

.. BUT they say that I may "normally" expect a reply within five
working days. Five DAYS for an EMail? They're extracting the urine.

Luxury; some train company customer services say they'll reply in 10
days, and even then sometimes nothing is heard.

My current record is from the Local Authority when I emailed a question
about council tax payments on 7th Feb, answered 20th March.

I wrote a letter to my MP 3 years ago. I'm still waiting for a reply.
And I know he received the letter because I phoned his office.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Old July 18th 13, 10:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 23:46:35 on Wed, 17 Jul
2013, Daniel James remarked:
I've EMailed Three's "customer service" department to tell them that
they have misclassified my Note if they think it isn't a phone, and to
ask them what I can do to get both voice and data service from them on
this device. I shall see what they say ...

.. BUT they say that I may "normally" expect a reply within five
working days. Five DAYS for an EMail? They're extracting the urine.

Luxury; some train company customer services say they'll reply in 10
days, and even then sometimes nothing is heard.

My current record is from the Local Authority when I emailed a question
about council tax payments on 7th Feb, answered 20th March.

You should try getting Orange to unlock a phone. They strive to deliver
said service in four working weeks! They even managed to miss this target
when we asked them to unlock a handset.

Tim

Old July 18th 13, 11:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 11:25:11 +0100, Tim+
wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

And the PAC code expires before the end of the contract.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Old July 18th 13, 12:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Daniel James wrote:
I haven't moved the SIM from one device to another, of course, but
Three aren't quite clever enough to tell SIM was being used from that
the same voice-capable device from which I registered the SIM and
applied the top-up.

I fail to see how the network can tell the difference between a Tablet
and a Smartphone. We have two 7" tablets, both phone capable and they
have always "just worked" with standard 'phone' SIMs in them for both
data and phone calls.

One of our tablets is on Virgin and the other on Ovivo (Vodaphone).

--
Chris Green
·
Old July 18th 13, 07:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:
How does that help, one of our two tablets has a 'generic' IMEI number
that I put in myself. In fact it has *two* IMEI numbers because it has
two SIMs, how can that help them decide what sort of thing they're
looking at?

Really, I've not seen GSM equipment that has a user set IMEI.

There's an IMEI to hardware lookup - see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_Allocation_Code
which I suspect is what they use. Possibly rejecting everything that
doesn't show up as a phone.

For example
http://www.imei.info/?imei=359772000970336
http://www.imei.info/?imei=867648016755686