Old July 31st 13, 07:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Advice please

I have 2 very ancient mobiles whose batteries are clearly past it.
Instead of trying to get them to hold a charge, I have decided to take
the plunge and buy a new phone. But which?

All I need is one I can use in the car if I find myself upside down in a
ditch. No games, no reading "Decline and Fall", no handheld cinema. Just
a phone. Which is the most reliable and simple to use?

All suggestions welcome.

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

Old July 31st 13, 08:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Hugh Newbury" wrote in message
I have 2 very ancient mobiles whose batteries are clearly past
it. Instead of trying to get them to hold a charge, I have
decided to take the plunge and buy a new phone. But which?

All I need is one I can use in the car if I find myself upside
down in a ditch. No games, no reading "Decline and Fall", no
handheld cinema. Just a phone. Which is the most reliable and
simple to use?

All suggestions welcome.

Hugh

Any of the small simple phones - the Nokia 100 series are quite
good and have pretty good battery life.

Although they are not the cheapest Virgin seem to have a record
for not cutting off phones that have had a chargeable event or
credit applied within the required time (some 3 months, most 6
months.) People often note on this ng that they have found a
phone/SIM that has not been used for over two years and it still
works!

Also bear in mind that in such a situation you suggest any phone
without a SIM installed will let you make an emergency call.

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old July 31st 13, 10:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

I just got one of these for exactly the same purpose on Amazon for 16 inc postage and it seems great. Also has a torch and FM radio built in and very long battery life.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BRAND-NOKIA-...ords=nokia+103
Old July 31st 13, 11:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 31/07/13 11:21, Murmansk wrote:
I just got one of these for exactly the same purpose on Amazon for 16 inc postage and it seems great. Also has a torch and FM radio built in and very long battery life.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BRAND-NOKIA-...ords=nokia+103

Thanks both, that sounds like a good choice.

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

Old July 31st 13, 12:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 31/07/13 12:06, Hugh Newbury wrote:
On 31/07/13 11:21, Murmansk wrote:
I just got one of these for exactly the same purpose on Amazon for 16 inc
postage and it seems great. Also has a torch and FM radio built in and
very long battery life.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BRAND-NOKIA-...ords=nokia+103

Thanks both, that sounds like a good choice.

Plus, if you want a sim card, with cheapish calls on PAYG, Three are now
doing their 3-2-1 sim, where calls are 3p per minute, text are 2p per
minute, and data 1p per Mb, (but you probably won't be interested in that)
;-) These Three mobile calls are now much cheaper than landline calls if you
have not got a package, and since going back to Three on these new rates, I
find I use the mobile a lot more now.

The sims are free on the following link, and can be also bought with credit
on them, one call or text must be made every 90 days to keep the account
open, but at 3p per call, 10 of credit should keep the number active for a
few years.
http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Pay_As_You_Go

Old July 31st 13, 12:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In message , Hugh Newbury
writing at 08:28:17 in his/her local time
opines:-
I have 2 very ancient mobiles whose batteries are clearly past it.
Instead of trying to get them to hold a charge, I have decided to take
the plunge and buy a new phone. But which?

When my Motorola flip phone's battery started dying daily, I looked for
a new phone, but didn't see anything I preferred to it.

A replacement battery, genuine Motorola, was 6 on Amazon and the phone
is now as good as new.

It's an option you might want to consider.
--
Roy Brown 'Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be
Kelmscott Ltd useful, or believe to be beautiful' William Morris
Old July 31st 13, 01:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 31/07/2013 13:03, Harry Stottle wrote:
[...]

Interesting. But isn't that a 3G SIM? If so, it won't work in the Nokia
phone cited above.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old July 31st 13, 04:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 31/07/13 14:51, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

Yes, sorry, you're right, it is a 3G sim, so it won't work in the cheap
Nokia. There is a Nokia C2-01 on the Three website for 44.99, but that has
got a few of the features that are not required by Hugh, link below.

http://store.three.co.uk/view/produc...catdevice/2228
Old July 31st 13, 06:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

I happen to be selling the spare phone I had just for putting my 3 SIM in if my main phone failed and here it is:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2909541410...84.m1586.l2649
Old August 1st 13, 07:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 31/07/13 13:38, Roy Brown wrote:

A replacement battery, genuine Motorola, was 6 on Amazon and the phone
is now as good as new.

It's an option you might want to consider.

Excellent! I've just sent off to Amazon for one for my Samsung. Thanks Roy.

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

Advice Please (Long) UK Mobile Phones 0 August 3rd 03 09:43 AM
Advice Please (Long) UK Mobile Phones 0 August 3rd 03 09:41 AM
orange tarriff advice please Michael Robertson UK Mobile Phones 2 July 26th 03 10:38 PM
Orange Tariff / Handset advice appreciated please Craig Henry UK Mobile Phones 0 July 10th 03 08:01 PM
Phone advice [Was: Confirmation about ported number call charges and network advice] Paul Baker UK Mobile Phones 0 July 7th 03 10:41 PM