Old August 6th 13, 03:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Problem Tethering Galaxy S4

In article , David.WE.Roberts wrote:
I think there is a reasonable limit to the amount of data you can
download directly to a mobile phone, however smart (unless the phone
has a USB interface which supports an external disc drive).

However, tether it to a PC with several TB of storage and a bit torrent
account and the sky is the limit.

You can probably chew through a (un)reasonable amount of data by
streaming video to a phone, especially on the newer phones that display
Full HD. It wouldn't surprise me if typical business users with a laptop
get through less.

I don't think current price plans accurately reflect the cost to the
network of the services they provide, though. I suspect "all you can eat"
plans will in future be subject to an acceptable use limit rather than an
outright ban on tethering.

Or it may be that some phone tariffs are more favourable than 'mobile
broadband' dongle tariffs.

It does seem that mobile broadband plans are targeted at business users,
who seem to be expected to have deeper pockets than private individuals;
and that many "phone" plans prohibit tethering (presumably because it's
seen as a "business" activity).

I think the idea of a "dongle tariff" is a bit dated. I have no dongle
but I have two devices (a netbook and a tablet) with built-in 3g
capability, and most people I know who use mobile data either tether
their phones or use a MiFi router.

Cheers,
Daniel.