Old August 17th 13, 11:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Smartphone will only charge from computer USB port

On Fri, 16 Aug 2013 08:30:56 +0100
Lobster wrote:

SWMBO has a Samsung Galaxy S2 - subject says it all. The only way
to charge it is by plugging the damned thing into a computer; we have
a plethora of USB-type mains chargers around the house, but it won't
recognise any of them. Even the posh one which was supplied with our
iPad (that device being another fussy bugger, owing to the amount of
current it draws apparently.

Oddly enough, my work phone is an S2 - and it is fussy! It will charge
from either of my two Samsung mains chargers, or from my work laptop,
but not from my desktop computers, while my Galaxy Nexus charges fine
from all of them - in fact, it's charging the Nexus in the car that's
the biggest pain at the moment.

I am glad I am not the only person with a fussy S2.

--
Phil Reynolds
mail:

Old August 17th 13, 03:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Fri, 16 Aug 2013 17:30:23 +0100, just as I was about to take a
herb, Jono disturbed my reverie and
wrote:

My Samsung Galaxy Note will only charge (so far as my limited testing
goes) with the mains charger supplied by Samsung with the device, or
from a PC's USB port.

All my USB-charging devices will charge from any charge I have. No
make specificity.
--

Cheers,

DrT

Old August 18th 13, 08:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 16/08/2013 17:30, Jono wrote:

My Samsung Galaxy Note will only charge (so far as my limited testing
goes) with the mains charger supplied by Samsung with the device, or
from a PC's USB port.

That's odd. My Note will happily take electrickery from wherever it's
offered. ipod charger, ipad charger, samsung charger, usb hubs, New
Trent battery packs, my belkin usb charger and the ones that came the
missus' Huawei phone, all of the cigarette lighter to usb adapters that
are in our cars along with the usbs on the Parrot bluetooth bit and Pure
in-car DAB kits.

My Note is a slut!

--
Gyp
Old August 19th 13, 10:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Fri, 16 Aug 2013 17:30:23 +0100, Jono
wrote:

Lobster brought next idea :
On 16/08/2013 12:50, Mike S. wrote:
In article ,
Lobster wrote:
SWMBO has a Samsung Galaxy S2 - subject says it all. The only way to
charge it is by plugging the damned thing into a computer; we have a
plethora of USB-type mains chargers around the house, but it won't
recognise any of them. Even the posh one which was supplied with our
iPad (that device being another fussy bugger, owing to the amount of
current it draws apparently.

What about the charger that came with the device?

Not even sure it came with one whgen new TBH. Could be wrong of course

An iToy charging socket does not follow the USB "charge only" standard and
will not be recognized by a compliant device as a charging socket.

Is the Samsung faulty, or can anything be done?

Try the factory charger and factory USB cable.

No clue which of the numerous USB cables around the house was the Samsung
one; but given that all the others don't work (with this device only) is
there really likely to be anything special about the original one?

My Samsung Galaxy Note will only charge (so far as my limited testing
goes) with the mains charger supplied by Samsung with the device, or
from a PC's USB port.

Does it display an "X" in status area? If it's like my galaxy tab
then it does charge[1] from the PC albeit much more slowly.

[1] Except when the battery is flat when only the mains charger works.

To the OP: Sorry I can't help. All the Samsung phones I have tried
(not the S2 though) charge from pretty much anything that fits.

--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?