Old December 18th 15, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Three cannot receive text messages fom S.Africa

Just to confirm that - as reported ewarlier in here - Three still
cannot receive text messages from S.Africa, so my family members there
at the moment cannot exchange messages with me.

I did check with Three about this in August, and they admitted the
problem:

----------------------------------
Dear Customer

Our roaming partner in South Africa is MTN and we do have a roaming
agreement of using calls and data.

As of today we don't have an agreement for text however, I'll take this
as a feedback from you.
-----------------------------------

No mention of doing something about it!

Pathetic situation...

--
/\/\aurice

Old December 19th 15, 09:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 18/12/2015 18:59, Maurice wrote:
Just to confirm that - as reported ewarlier in here - Three still
cannot receive text messages from S.Africa, so my family members there
at the moment cannot exchange messages with me.

I did check with Three about this in August, and they admitted the
problem:

----------------------------------
Dear Customer

Our roaming partner in South Africa is MTN and we do have a roaming
agreement of using calls and data.

As of today we don't have an agreement for text however, I'll take this
as a feedback from you.
-----------------------------------

No mention of doing something about it!

Pathetic situation...

If both parties have a smartphone then use Whatsapp ? (it won't cost
30ish p per message either)

--
Mark
Old December 19th 15, 09:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 10:26:24 +0000
Mark Carver wrote:

If both parties have a smartphone then use Whatsapp ? (it won't cost
30ish p per message either)

Or perhaps a secure one:
http://www.techworld.com/security/be...-2015-3629914/

Martin Nicholas.

E-mail:

Old December 19th 15, 10:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 19/12/2015 10:26, Mark Carver wrote:
On 18/12/2015 18:59, Maurice wrote:
Just to confirm that - as reported ewarlier in here - Three still
cannot receive text messages from S.Africa, so my family members there
at the moment cannot exchange messages with me.

I did check with Three about this in August, and they admitted the
problem:

----------------------------------
Dear Customer

Our roaming partner in South Africa is MTN and we do have a roaming
agreement of using calls and data.

As of today we don't have an agreement for text however, I'll take this
as a feedback from you.
-----------------------------------

No mention of doing something about it!

Pathetic situation...

If both parties have a smartphone then use Whatsapp ? (it won't cost
30ish p per message either)

I hate the idea of anyone with my number in their contact lists joining
Whatsap. They seem quite happy to take people's contact details without
permission.
Old December 19th 15, 10:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 19/12/2015 11:23, Fredxxx wrote:

I hate the idea of anyone with my number in their contact lists joining
Whatsap. They seem quite happy to take people's contact details without
permission.

Well, play safe and never give anybody any of your contact details then.

Life really is too short for the rest of us though...

--
Mark

Old December 19th 15, 12:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 11:31:18 +0000, Mark Carver
wrote:

On 19/12/2015 11:23, Fredxxx wrote:

I hate the idea of anyone with my number in their contact lists joining
Whatsap. They seem quite happy to take people's contact details without
permission.

Well, play safe and never give anybody any of your contact details then.

Life really is too short for the rest of us though...

Parle pour toi!

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old December 19th 15, 02:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Mark Carver wrote:

If both parties have a smartphone then use Whatsapp ? (it won't cost
30ish p per message either)

Doesn't that require polling of a server to see if there's a message
to retrieve, thus whittling away at your data allowance?

Old December 19th 15, 03:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Mark Carver wrote:

If both parties have a smartphone then use Whatsapp ? (it won't cost
30ish p per message either)

Doesn't that require polling of a server to see if there's a message
to retrieve, thus whittling away at your data allowance?

It's tiny usage, not even a meg per day, and of course when you're on
wifi it's zero 'network' data.

--
Mark
Old December 20th 15, 03:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 10:26:24 +0000, Mark Carver wrote:

If both parties have a smartphone

'fraid not...

--
/\/\aurice
Old December 20th 15, 03:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 20/12/2015 16:45, Maurice wrote:
On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 10:26:24 +0000, Mark Carver wrote:

If both parties have a smartphone

'fraid not...

Oh well..

It is strange, my wife currently on Three can't SMS her brother
on 02. It was no better when she was on EE, the problem started
when he ported from Vodafone to O2. He's not aware of anyone else
who can't SMS him (I certainly can from my EE phone), and my wife has no
problem SMS'ing anyone else on any other network.

--
Mark