Old February 12th 17, 09:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
SB SB is offline

Default Three Dongle and Windows 10 Woes

Just got a new Dell Inspiron laptop. That is by definition to be used for travelling. However I have already run foul of the dreaded Windows 10 (Home) automatic updates. Last week whilst doing some emails I suddenly got a web page stating that I had run out of data allowance. Bl**dy Windows had attempted to download a massive update file and soaked up my remaining Three dongle data allowance for the month - without my authorisation.

Investigating I discovered that it is only possible to stop these updates on wifi connections by configuring them as 'metered.' But this is not possible when connecting via tethering (e.g. with a S2 Skypephone) or with a Three dongle.

And Microsoft have viciously thwarted other methods of stopping these updates which used to be by modifying settings in the Registry.

The ONLY way I can see of avoiding these draconian and expensive updates is to dump Windows 10, go back to Windows 7, or install Linux. However I purchased said laptop from John Lewis and they have stated that any such mods. would invalidate their guarantee.

Has anyone managed to circumvent these updates whilst using a Three dongle or S2 phone?

Many thanks - SB.

Old February 12th 17, 09:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Your problem is you're using a ****ty limited internet connection. Limiting data in the 21st century is not acceptable.

--
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says, "dam".
Old February 13th 17, 01:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

[...]

So rather than helping you thought you'd extend your idiocy beyond the
DIY group did you?

The problem plain and simple is Win10. There is no excuse for a paid
for operating system enforcing an update schedule on the poor *******
that's unlucky enough to be using it, but that is exactly what Mickysoft
have done with the steaming pile of spyware that is Win10.

Short of running some complicated rules in a non-microsoft firewall, I
really don't know what to suggest to the OP, but as far as installing
another OS, it will NOT invalidate the warranty, but you may encounter
problems installing it due to TPM and secure boot.

Old February 13th 17, 02:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Richard Colton wrote:

Your problem is you're using a ****ty limited internet connection.
Limiting data in the 21st century is not acceptable.

So rather than helping you thought you'd extend your idiocy beyond the
DIY group did you?

And the answer is to ignore the f*ckwit here just like you'd ignore a troll
anywhere, not to feed him.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old February 13th 17, 04:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 15:08:28 -0000, Tim+ wrote:

Richard Colton wrote:

Your problem is you're using a ****ty limited internet connection.
Limiting data in the 21st century is not acceptable.

So rather than helping you thought you'd extend your idiocy beyond the
DIY group did you?

And the answer is to ignore the f*ckwit here just like you'd ignore a troll
anywhere, not to feed him.

If you hate my posts that much, STOP READING THEM! Get your own killfile!

--
A man goes home early and catches another man in bed with his wife.
He drags the naked man out of the house and into his garden shed.

Old February 13th 17, 04:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 14:31:17 -0000, Richard Colton wrote:

[...]

Not idiocy but modern technology. Everything updates nowadays, everything is also very large. You need a decent internet connection in the 21st century. Does your car need refuelling every 10 miles?

The problem plain and simple is Win10. There is no excuse for a paid
for operating system enforcing an update schedule on the poor *******
that's unlucky enough to be using it, but that is exactly what Mickysoft
have done with the steaming pile of spyware that is Win10.

So you'd prefer to be out of date with a bug ridden OS?

Short of running some complicated rules in a non-microsoft firewall, I
really don't know what to suggest to the OP, but as far as installing
another OS, it will NOT invalidate the warranty, but you may encounter
problems installing it due to TPM and secure boot.

What about:
http://www.windowscentral.com/how-di...y-optimization
(scroll down to "metered networks")
It should avoid it by itself, but you can tell it a certain connection is metered.

Old February 13th 17, 04:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 16:55:51 -0000, Graham. wrote:

[...]

Like a fool, I succumbed to the free W10 update nag on this Optilex
990, while it was still being offered.

Big mistake, the machine became unstable, and for example would freeze
if I copied and pasted text from Agent into Chrome, and would require
a forced power off. Plus there were lots of things I just didn't like
about 10.

Odd. Every version of Windows including 10 has been successively more stable for my own computers and those at my places of work (several hundred of them).

And the only thing I hate about 8/10 is the Metro interface, but that's easy to get rid of.

Anyway last week I thought enough is enough, and bit the bullet and
installed a clean copy of Windows 7 Pro 32bit.

I had an unused product key at the ready, but to my surprise I wasn't
even asked for it, I reinstalled it from an OEM install disk, not a
disk image.

I was able to reinstate all my stuff surprisingly quickly, and I'm a
very happy bunny.

--
The man who fell into an upholstery machine is fully recovered.

Old February 14th 17, 12:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

[...]

No, I'd prefer to use the right tool for the right job. If the only
options available were W10 or nothing, I'd go with nothing - I have no
use for a multi-gigabyte keylogger. However, there are choices
available - the machine I'm using at the moment is on Win7, or I could
retire to a different machine in the house and use Mint or whatever
other flavour of Linux I prefer for the job at hand.

Short of running some complicated rules in a non-microsoft firewall, I
really don't know what to suggest to the OP, but as far as installing
another OS, it will NOT invalidate the warranty, but you may encounter
problems installing it due to TPM and secure boot.

What about:
http://www.windowscentral.com/how-di...y-optimization

(scroll down to "metered networks")
It should avoid it by itself, but you can tell it a certain connection
is metered.

That won't stop it, it will still download "priority" updates.

--
Unlock Your Phone's Potential
www.UselessInfo.org.uk
Old February 15th 17, 07:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 13:45:02 -0000, Richard Colton wrote:

[...]

7 is just an out of date 10.

Short of running some complicated rules in a non-microsoft firewall, I
really don't know what to suggest to the OP, but as far as installing
another OS, it will NOT invalidate the warranty, but you may encounter
problems installing it due to TPM and secure boot.

What about:
http://www.windowscentral.com/how-di...y-optimization

(scroll down to "metered networks")
It should avoid it by itself, but you can tell it a certain connection
is metered.

That won't stop it, it will still download "priority" updates.

Which can't be that big, just how pathetic is your connection? Why not simply get a better one and join us in the 21st century?

--
Paddy calls Easyjet to book a flight.
The operator asks "How many people are flying with you?"