Old February 17th 17, 03:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default SIM porting to new phone?

On 16/02/2017 15:26, Roy Brown wrote:
I have an ageing Moto G from EE on a contract deal than can't be beaten
today, even for calls/text/data alone.

But the phone is running out of oomph.

If I buy a new MOTO G4 SIM-free (not from EE, who don't do it), or even
maybe wait for the Moto G5 likewise, if it's not too far away, can I
port my existing EE SIM into the new Moto and carry on with my existing
EE contract without problems?

Might have to get the SIM cut down, but that is no problem.

I know phone are locked to carriers, as the Moto G probably still is,
but I don't know if SIMs are locked to phones in any way?

If the Sim won't fit, in the new phone, I would ask EE to send you a new
one. There is a facility on their website to activate a new Sim. It
will maybe take a few hours to take effect.

--
Michael Chare

Old February 20th 17, 02:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 16/02/2017 15:26, Roy Brown wrote:
I have an ageing Moto G from EE on a contract deal than can't be beaten
today, even for calls/text/data alone.

But the phone is running out of oomph.

If I buy a new MOTO G4 SIM-free (not from EE, who don't do it), or even
maybe wait for the Moto G5 likewise, if it's not too far away, can I
port my existing EE SIM into the new Moto and carry on with my existing
EE contract without problems?

Might have to get the SIM cut down, but that is no problem.

I know phone are locked to carriers, as the Moto G probably still is,
but I don't know if SIMs are locked to phones in any way?

I've never heard of a SIM being locked to a phone but the phone company
will be able to see the model of phone you are using the SIM in (from
the IMEI) so in theory they could block you, though I think it's pretty
unlikely.

--

Brian Gregory (in the UK).
Old February 20th 17, 04:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Monday, 20 February 2017 15:11:05 UTC, Brian Gregory wrote:
On 16/02/2017 15:26, Roy Brown wrote:
I have an ageing Moto G from EE on a contract deal than can't be beaten
today, even for calls/text/data alone.

But the phone is running out of oomph.

If I buy a new MOTO G4 SIM-free (not from EE, who don't do it), or even
maybe wait for the Moto G5 likewise, if it's not too far away, can I
port my existing EE SIM into the new Moto and carry on with my existing
EE contract without problems?

Might have to get the SIM cut down, but that is no problem.

I know phone are locked to carriers, as the Moto G probably still is,
but I don't know if SIMs are locked to phones in any way?

I've never heard of a SIM being locked to a phone but the phone company
will be able to see the model of phone you are using the SIM in (from
the IMEI) so in theory they could block you, though I think it's pretty
unlikely.

Not quite - if '3' spot you roaming with one of their SIMs in a 2G only phone then they will suspend service.

--

Brian Gregory (in the UK).

Old February 20th 17, 06:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
[...]

Do 3 sims still roam on to 2G? Don't think my phone ever showed gprs/2G
whilst I was on 3 (and that's not because I was always somewhere with 3
reception!).

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old February 20th 17, 06:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Tim+" wrote in message
news
R. Mark Clayton wrote:
[...]

Last time I was in the 3 shop they said they longer roam.

There are suggestions around the Interweb that in fact they do roam if
they totally loose the 3G signal but only onto original Orange sites
with speech, no data.

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old February 20th 17, 06:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Woody wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message
news
R. Mark Clayton wrote:
[...]

Orange? Historically is was O2 who provided the 2G service wasn't it? Maybe
things have changed. Anyhow, I think the 3 shop was right when they said
that they don't roam. Certainly matches my experience.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old February 20th 17, 10:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Monday, 20 February 2017 19:50:17 UTC, Tim+ wrote:
Woody wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message
news
R. Mark Clayton wrote:
[...]

AFAIK they still roam on to EE when totally out of their 3G coverage for calls. 3 ditched O2 some years ago.

Whether you get GPRS / Edge data I do not know.
Old February 23rd 17, 07:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 16/02/2017 15:26, Roy Brown wrote:
I have an ageing Moto G from EE on a contract deal than can't be beaten
today, even for calls/text/data alone.

But the phone is running out of oomph.

If I buy a new MOTO G4 SIM-free (not from EE, who don't do it), or even
maybe wait for the Moto G5 likewise, if it's not too far away, can I
port my existing EE SIM into the new Moto and carry on with my existing
EE contract without problems?

Might have to get the SIM cut down, but that is no problem.

I know phone are locked to carriers, as the Moto G probably still is,
but I don't know if SIMs are locked to phones in any way?

Click on this,

https://myaccount.ee.co.uk/order-sim/

--
Mark
Old February 25th 17, 11:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Woody wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message
news R. Mark Clayton wrote:
[...]

Have you observed this happening recently?
I haven't seen it for many years.
Even then it only happened in a few places where Three regarded it as
sufficiently important to provide coverage but had not been able to
implement their own 3G yet.

--

Brian Gregory (in the UK).

Porting out - Porting in - Sim Isis[_2_] UK Mobile Phones 1 October 10th 07 03:33 PM
Old sim in new phone - damage to new phone? [email protected] UK Mobile Phones 5 October 9th 05 06:01 PM
Porting....and porting back Dave Hammond UK Mobile Phones 6 August 28th 05 09:45 AM