Old February 23rd 17, 10:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default 2G coverage and longevity

[snip]
3G is on 2100MHz and 4G is on 800Mhz on all four primary networks
(pinched off UHF TV), however it is also on

1800MHz EE and 3
2600Mhz EE and Voda

Voda & O2 have 3G on 900MHz.

AIUI 2600Mhz is the main frequency in other countries.

EE only have 4G on 1800MHz because they wanted to steel a march on VF
and O2 who would have to wait for 800MHz and were successful in
persuading OfCom to let them go ahead a year earlier than the
competition.

VF and O2 have approval for 3G on 900MHz but I suspect you will find
little of it in the wild. It is more likely that 900MHz/4G is being
used on lower power systems as indoor or restricted area 'fillers'
such as big football grounds, rail terminai and airports. EE and VF
will have 2600 for the same reason that VF and O2 have 1800 - as micro
and nano cells.

For instance did you know that a large proportion of mobile phone
shops - especially in shopping malls that don't have IBS - have a
picocell in the shop? Its no good trying to sell a 700 mobile if
there is no signal to demonstrate it!

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old February 23rd 17, 10:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Woody wrote:

did you know that a large proportion of mobile phone shops [...]
have a picocell in the shop?

I'd be amazed if they didn't.

Old February 24th 17, 08:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom

On 23/02/2017 13:47, NY wrote:

But is they are planning phase out 3G at some point, will they improve
4G coverage first? Where I live, I get intermittent/patchy 2G and
sometimes 3G, but I've never seen any 4G coverage - after all, I only
live in a village close to a trunk A road a couple of miles from a
market town - it's not as if I live in a large city, so the likes of 4G
and 5G are not for us.

Let me guess, 02 ?

Do contract mobile phone tariffs (eg Vodafone) work on whatever is the
fastest network (2G, 3G, 4G or 5G) that is available in an area, or do
you have to pay extra to get 4G rather than 2G or 3G?

There used to be a premium to pay, but not any more I think. Though EE
refer to 'double speed' 4G that's only available on higher contract
packages. Whether the reality is you get better speed on those packages
is open to question.

--
Mark
Old February 24th 17, 09:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Woody wrote:

did you know that a large proportion of mobile phone shops [...]
have a picocell in the shop?

I'd be amazed if they didn't.

Its no good trying to sell a 700 mobile if
there is no signal to demonstrate it!

Next time you visit a major retail mall look at the ceiling above the
shop fronts for aerials that something look like half a football or a
conical one looking like a female boob. These are In-Building Systems,
some are passive (like Milton Keynes, Xscapes and Meadowhall, others
are active - like the Metro Centre.)

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old February 24th 17, 11:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Thursday, 23 February 2017 22:31:53 UTC, Woody wrote:
[...]

Well plus of course if it is the net's own shop it provides a handy base station site.

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old February 24th 17, 12:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom

On 23/02/2017 15:29, Woody wrote:
"NY" wrote in message
"Woody" wrote in message

Remember also that not only does not everyone have or want a
smartphone or the complexities of using such, but per your initial
query that 2G is used for many other purposes than just speech and
text.

I wouldn't worry about it.

But is they are planning phase out 3G at some point, will they
improve 4G coverage first? Where I live, I get intermittent/patchy
2G and sometimes 3G, but I've never seen any 4G coverage - after
all, I only live in a village close to a trunk A road a couple of
miles from a market town - it's not as if I live in a large city, so
the likes of 4G and 5G are not for us.

Do contract mobile phone tariffs (eg Vodafone) work on whatever is
the fastest network (2G, 3G, 4G or 5G) that is available in an area,
or do you have to pay extra to get 4G rather than 2G or 3G?

4G on EE is expanding rapidly as they are providing the infrastructure
for the replacement for the emergency services Airwave system over the
next few years. They have IMSMC 348 additional sites to install mainly
in Wales and the north of England.

Sad if you are not on EE (which I'm not.) :-((

EE coverage is about the best in rural North Yorkshire but a lot of it
is only 2.5G aka EDGE. No signs of 4G or fibre BB here any time soon. So
I'm inclined to think 2G will be around for a long time yet.

There is some Three 3G signal where I live but it requires a yagi
antenna to actually obtain a useful connection (faster than fixed line).

Martin Brown
Old February 24th 17, 01:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 23/02/2017 22:51, Andy Burns wrote:
Woody wrote:

did you know that a large proportion of mobile phone shops [...]
have a picocell in the shop?

I'd be amazed if they didn't.

Its no good trying to sell a £700 mobile if
there is no signal to demonstrate it!

But I bet they don't tell the customer that their nice shiny new phone
might stop working when they leave the shop!
Old March 3rd 17, 11:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In article , Woody
scribeth thus

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Woody wrote:

did you know that a large proportion of mobile phone shops [...]
have a picocell in the shop?

I'd be amazed if they didn't.

Its no good trying to sell a 700 mobile if
there is no signal to demonstrate it!

Next time you visit a major retail mall look at the ceiling above the
shop fronts for aerials that something look like half a football or a
conical one looking like a female boob. These are In-Building Systems,
some are passive (like Milton Keynes, Xscapes and Meadowhall, others
are active - like the Metro Centre.)

And some have on channel DAB repeaters also..
--
Tony Sayer

Old March 4th 17, 12:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Fri, 03 Mar 2017 23:59:59 +0000, tony sayer wrote:

In article , Woody
scribeth thus

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Woody wrote:

did you know that a large proportion of mobile phone shops [...]
have a picocell in the shop?

I'd be amazed if they didn't.

Its no good trying to sell a £700 mobile if there is no signal to
demonstrate it!

Next time you visit a major retail mall look at the ceiling above the
shop fronts for aerials that something look like half a football or a
conical one looking like a female boob. These are In-Building Systems,
some are passive (like Milton Keynes, Xscapes and Meadowhall, others are
active - like the Metro Centre.)

And some have on channel DAB repeaters also..

Used to be very useful round here. Main shopping street near the sea
front; masts a mile or so back. If I wanted to make a call, I'd stand
outside Carphone Warehouse or whatever.
Old March 4th 17, 06:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

tony sayer wrote:

Woody wrote:

Next time you visit a major retail mall look at the ceiling above the
shop fronts for aerials that something look like half a football or a
conical one looking like a female boob. These are In-Building Systems

And some have on channel DAB repeaters also..

So, portable DAB radios are a thing now?