Old March 4th 17, 08:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default 2G coverage and longevity

On Sat, 04 Mar 2017 06:42:37 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

tony sayer wrote:

Woody wrote:

Next time you visit a major retail mall look at the ceiling above the
shop fronts for aerials that something look like half a football or a
conical one looking like a female boob. These are In-Building Systems

And some have on channel DAB repeaters also..

So, portable DAB radios are a thing now?

You just need a backpack for the batteries! :-)

Old March 5th 17, 10:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In article , Andy Burns
scribeth thus
tony sayer wrote:

Woody wrote:

Next time you visit a major retail mall look at the ceiling above the
shop fronts for aerials that something look like half a football or a
conical one looking like a female boob. These are In-Building Systems

And some have on channel DAB repeaters also..

So, portable DAB radios are a thing now?

Yes I've got a new design SONY one, must say its not that bad with the
batteries...

--
Tony Sayer

Old March 6th 17, 01:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom

On 22/02/2017 23:52, Woody wrote:
I would have thought that it would be more likely that 3G would expire
as we move into 5G than 2G. The object of the exercise of 3G was to
allow faster data, but that is with us now with 4G and will be moreso
with 5G, plus the wide area frequencies for 3G (around 2110MHz) don't
get as far as 800MHz and 700MHz that will likely be used for 4/5G.

True 5G needs many more masts and will use higher frequencies where
there is more bandwidth available. You can't get much more out of those
lower frequencies than 4G achieves.

Remember also that not only does not everyone have or want a
smartphone or the complexities of using such, but per your initial
query that 2G is used for many other purposes than just speech and
text.

I wouldn't worry about it.

--

Brian Gregory (in the UK).