Old February 22nd 17, 09:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom

Default 2G coverage and longevity

What's 2G coverage like now, and also is there any EOL plan for it?
Reason for asking is a friend is looking to buy a remote peronsal
alarm/monitoring device which uses a 2G SIM.
It's not obvious to me the device uses anything other than SMS
and voice calls though.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Old February 22nd 17, 10:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
news
What's 2G coverage like now, and also is there any EOL plan for it?
Reason for asking is a friend is looking to buy a remote peronsal
alarm/monitoring device which uses a 2G SIM.
It's not obvious to me the device uses anything other than SMS
and voice calls though.

I would have thought that it would be more likely that 3G would expire
as we move into 5G than 2G. The object of the exercise of 3G was to
allow faster data, but that is with us now with 4G and will be moreso
with 5G, plus the wide area frequencies for 3G (around 2110MHz) don't
get as far as 800MHz and 700MHz that will likely be used for 4/5G.

Remember also that not only does not everyone have or want a
smartphone or the complexities of using such, but per your initial
query that 2G is used for many other purposes than just speech and
text.

I wouldn't worry about it.

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old February 23rd 17, 09:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom

Woody wrote:

2G is used for many other purposes than just speech and text.

AFAIK my smart meter uses 2G on O2, I know there are lots of vehicle
tracking and industrial monitoring applications using RS232/485 to
GSM/GPRS modems.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Maybe the users of such modems in America didn't worry about it, but I
gather AT&T have now retired their 2G network and Verizon are planning
the same.
Old February 23rd 17, 10:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Thursday, 23 February 2017 10:32:18 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
Woody wrote:

2G is used for many other purposes than just speech and text.

AFAIK my smart meter uses 2G on O2, I know there are lots of vehicle
tracking and industrial monitoring applications using RS232/485 to
GSM/GPRS modems.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Maybe the users of such modems in America didn't worry about it, but I
gather AT&T have now retired their 2G network and Verizon are planning
the same.

Yes but there were competing technologies in the USA - many networks used CDMA instead.
Old February 23rd 17, 12:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom
NY NY is offline

"Woody" wrote in message
news

[...]

But is they are planning phase out 3G at some point, will they improve 4G
coverage first? Where I live, I get intermittent/patchy 2G and sometimes 3G,
but I've never seen any 4G coverage - after all, I only live in a village
close to a trunk A road a couple of miles from a market town - it's not as
if I live in a large city, so the likes of 4G and 5G are not for us.

Do contract mobile phone tariffs (eg Vodafone) work on whatever is the
fastest network (2G, 3G, 4G or 5G) that is available in an area, or do you
have to pay extra to get 4G rather than 2G or 3G?

Old February 23rd 17, 02:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom

"NY" wrote in message
"Woody" wrote in message
news

[...]

4G on EE is expanding rapidly as they are providing the infrastructure
for the replacement for the emergency services Airwave system over the
next few years. They have IMSMC 348 additional sites to install mainly
in Wales and the north of England.

Sad if you are not on EE (which I'm not.) :-((

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old February 23rd 17, 03:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Thursday, 23 February 2017 13:47:09 UTC, NY wrote:
"Woody" wrote in message
news

[...]

AIUI it will use the same masts and aerials, with just the base equipment changing, so I imagine it will be a rolled out swap over.

Old February 23rd 17, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message
On Thursday, 23 February 2017 13:47:09 UTC, NY wrote:
"Woody" wrote in message
news

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
news What's 2G coverage like now, and also is there any EOL plan for
[...]

Well, not quite Mark, given that 3G is 2110MHz and (most of) 4G is
800MHz I think they will need different aerials - but they won't have
so much cable loss!

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old February 23rd 17, 05:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Thursday, 23 February 2017 18:29:14 UTC, Woody wrote:
"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message
On Thursday, 23 February 2017 13:47:09 UTC, NY wrote:
"Woody" wrote in message
news
[...]

3G is on 2100MHz and 4G is on 800Mhz on all four primary networks (pinched off UHF TV), however it is also on

1800MHz EE and 3
2600Mhz EE and Voda

Voda & O2 have 3G on 900MHz.

AIUI 2600Mhz is the main frequency in other countries.
Old February 23rd 17, 06:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom

On Thu, 23 Feb 2017 13:47:06 -0000, "NY" wrote:

"Woody" wrote in message
news

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
news
What's 2G coverage like now, and also is there any EOL plan for it?
Reason for asking is a friend is looking to buy a remote peronsal
alarm/monitoring device which uses a 2G SIM.
It's not obvious to me the device uses anything other than SMS
and voice calls though.

I would have thought that it would be more likely that 3G would expire as
we move into 5G than 2G. The object of the exercise of 3G was to allow
faster data, but that is with us now with 4G and will be moreso with 5G,
plus the wide area frequencies for 3G (around 2110MHz) don't get as far as
800MHz and 700MHz that will likely be used for 4/5G.

The different mobile companies have different allocations of
frequencies, and then split them up to use different frequencies for 2
/ 3/ 4G.
http://www.4g.co.uk/4g-frequencies-uk-need-know/

There are a bunch of complexities around which frequencies to use, and
as usual technology is making it more complex - in general higher
frequencies give lower footprint and less penetration into buildings,
but support higher data rates

Remember also that not only does not everyone have or want a smartphone or
the complexities of using such, but per your initial query that 2G is used
for many other purposes than just speech and text.

I wouldn't worry about it.

But is they are planning phase out 3G at some point, will they improve 4G
coverage first? Where I live, I get intermittent/patchy 2G and sometimes 3G,
but I've never seen any 4G coverage - after all, I only live in a village
close to a trunk A road a couple of miles from a market town - it's not as
if I live in a large city, so the likes of 4G and 5G are not for us.

The exercise is all about customers and scale so opening new gaps in
the coverage isnt going to be high on the agenda.....

The later base stations are being deployed using "software defined
radio" and support lots of different frequencies and formats to let
this stuff be altered without wholesale manual changes to the network.

It is worth remembering that there is no or limited network based
voice support on 4G in the UK networks (and many phones cannot support
it either) so 4G is data focused right now.

So a UK 4G phone has to switch to 2G / 3G right now to make or recieve
a call.

So 3G isnt likely to be removed until 4G can carry voice

However the mobile networks have got had a decision from Ofcom to let
them "refarm" frequencies to tune the network to use old 2G / 3G
spectrum on 4G
http://telecoms.com/161582/ofcom-app...rum-refarming/

Do contract mobile phone tariffs (eg Vodafone) work on whatever is the
fastest network (2G, 3G, 4G or 5G) that is available in an area, or do you
have to pay extra to get 4G rather than 2G or 3G?

When I got a new laptop with 4G built in I had to have the SIM swapped
from the old 3G dongle to a "4G" one - so there is the ability to
constrain use.

Again 4G is significantly more spectrum efficient than 3G so more data
traffic can use it and although there were attempts to sell 4G as a
premium service that seems to have gone away.

2G is even less efficient at data transport, but is "better" for voice
- but got used for a lot of initial non voice applications that will
be around for a while.

What you may also see is other standards arriving and using the same
network base stations and infrastructure - narrowband IoT for example
http://www.vodafone.com/business/iot/nb-IoT

If this and Sigfox et al work out the way the mobile networks would
like then many of the 2G "telemetry" uses will probably migrate over
time.
Stephen Hope
Replace xyz with ntl to reply