Old February 28th 17, 08:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Does anyone here use "Three In Touch"?

We have poor to no mobile signal at home so we are trying "Three In
Touch" on our Moto E and Moto G phones.

I *wish* one wasn't expected to guess how it works. We're still
floundering around wondering whether it works as one would hope or
maybe some other way that we can't guess.

Does anyone else here use "Three In Touch", if so some questions:-

1 - Does the phone switch to using WiFi instead of a mobile signal
automatically?

2 - Will received SMS messages arrive in "Three In Touch" or the
normal messaging app or both?

3 - Similarly for phone calls, does one have to explicitly use the
app to make outgoing calls via WiFi, or what?

--
Chris Green
·

Old February 28th 17, 08:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Chris Green" wrote in message
We have poor to no mobile signal at home so we are trying "Three In
Touch" on our Moto E and Moto G phones.

I *wish* one wasn't expected to guess how it works. We're still
floundering around wondering whether it works as one would hope or
maybe some other way that we can't guess.

Does anyone else here use "Three In Touch", if so some questions:-

1 - Does the phone switch to using WiFi instead of a mobile signal
automatically?

2 - Will received SMS messages arrive in "Three In Touch" or the
normal messaging app or both?

3 - Similarly for phone calls, does one have to explicitly use the
app to make outgoing calls via WiFi, or what?

Methinks - like all pleb suppliers

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com- that it expects everyone to have
everything - wifi, data, bluetooth - running all the time.

Old February 28th 17, 09:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Chris Green wrote:
We have poor to no mobile signal at home so we are trying "Three In
Touch" on our Moto E and Moto G phones.

I *wish* one wasn't expected to guess how it works. We're still
floundering around wondering whether it works as one would hope or
maybe some other way that we can't guess.

Does anyone else here use "Three In Touch", if so some questions:-

1 - Does the phone switch to using WiFi instead of a mobile signal
automatically?

Yes, assuming you've set it up to do that. It's an option.

2 - Will received SMS messages arrive in "Three In Touch" or the
normal messaging app or both?

Only in the TiT app, not the normal messaging app.

3 - Similarly for phone calls, does one have to explicitly use the
app to make outgoing calls via WiFi, or what?

If memory serves me right, yes. Also when receiving calls is a different
process to answer your phone, different ring tone and generally just not
very intuitive.

I used to be on 3 and found using WIFI for calls/texts a pain because of
this lack of seamless integration.

FWIW, EE wifi calling/texting is seamless and does not require you to use
of any separate apps (at least on an iphone).

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old February 28th 17, 09:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Tim+ wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
[...]

Thanks Tim. Other providers aren't really an option at the moment,
Three's pay as you go works so well for me that I really don't want to
change. It's only at home that we find Three coverage an issue, if we
could only persuade people not to text us (or to text our land line,
it can receive texts) then there wouldn't be a problem.

--
Chris Green
·
Old February 28th 17, 11:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Tim+ wrote:

Well it certainly works, it's just rather clunky in comparison to EE's wifi
service.

3 have switched to using WiFi Calling on iPhones and some Android devices.

Old February 28th 17, 11:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:
Tim+ wrote:

Well it certainly works, it's just rather clunky in comparison to EE's wifi
service.

3 have switched to using WiFi Calling on iPhones and some Android devices.

If that's the case I withdraw my objections! I switched service about 6
months ago when a separate app was still required.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old March 1st 17, 08:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 28/02/17 10:29, Tim+ wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
[...]

A minor point, but SMS through TiT are stored in both TiT and the normal
messaging system, but not the reverse. TiT works reasonably well for
SMS, as you don't need seamless operation, though I'm not sure that
calls are reliable enough.

In addition to phones providing built-in WiFi capability, a number of
phones are capable of VoLTE using the low frequency 4G - the least
expensive is the ZTE Blade V7.

--
PeeGee

to be removed from a computer easily."
Old March 1st 17, 08:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

PeeGee wrote:

In addition to phones providing built-in WiFi capability, a number of
phones are capable of VoLTE using the low frequency 4G - the least
expensive is the ZTE Blade V7.

Apart from the phones that Three offer as having "built-in WiFi" can
one tell what other phones can do it? I.e. is it just having a recent
version of Android or do Three modify them somehow?

--
Chris Green
·
Old March 1st 17, 10:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 28/02/2017 10:29, Tim+ wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
[...]

That's my recollection too. Although to be fair the system did work
enough over wired internet in an area with no Three mobile signal. It
was a couple of years ago so it may have improved by now.

The lack of integration of Wifi connectivity was a bit of a niggle but
if it is a choice between no signal at all and an app that makes it work
over Wifi even if it is a bit clunky has to be useful.

Martin Brown
Old March 1st 17, 04:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 01/03/17 09:52, Chris Green wrote:
PeeGee wrote:

In addition to phones providing built-in WiFi capability, a number of
phones are capable of VoLTE using the low frequency 4G - the least
expensive is the ZTE Blade V7.

Apart from the phones that Three offer as having "built-in WiFi" can
one tell what other phones can do it? I.e. is it just having a recent
version of Android or do Three modify them somehow?

It's a Three modification for Android phones, I believe.