Old March 8th 17, 11:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Date of Easter

On 08/03/2017 18:39, Scott wrote:
On Wed, 8 Mar 2017 18:19:12 +0000, David Wade
wrote:

On 08/03/2017 15:32, Tim+ wrote:
Optimist wrote:
I use my mobile phone's calendar to plan meetings etc. I am rather
disappointed that it doesn't yet
show the date of Easter this year, only a few weeks away. It is set to
display UK holidays, and
last year's Easter is there.

Are all phones the same or is it just the Sony Xperia?

Hmmm. Can't find it on my iPhone either...

Tim

Easter Sunday isn't a national holiday. Easter Monday shows in my
Experia Z now I have enabled UK holidays.

Technically correct no doubt but does this mean Christmas Day is not
shown (as Christmas Day) on calendars if it occurs on a Saturday or a
Sunday?

No idea, but the replacement holiday should be shown..

Dave

Old March 9th 17, 07:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Wed, 8 Mar 2017 10:56:25 -0800 (PST), "R. Mark Clayton" wrote:

On Wednesday, 8 March 2017 08:30:13 UTC, Optimist wrote:
I use my mobile phone's calendar to plan meetings etc. I am rather disappointed that it doesn't yet
show the date of Easter this year, only a few weeks away. It is set to display UK holidays, and
last year's Easter is there.

Are all phones the same or is it just the Sony Xperia?

Where did you buy it? Dubai duty free shop in UAE maybe?

No, direct from Virgin Media in England in May last year.

In fact there are no public holidays at all for 2017, the last ones being December 25th (Christmas
day), 27th (Boxing Day) and 28th (Christmas Day again according to Xperia).

I've tried showing holidays for other countries e.g. USA and again they show 2016 OK but nothing at
all for 2017.
Old March 9th 17, 05:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

On Wednesday, 8 March 2017 08:30:13 UTC, Optimist wrote:
I use my mobile phone's calendar to plan meetings etc. I am rather disappointed that it doesn't yet
show the date of Easter this year, only a few weeks away. It is set to display UK holidays, and
last year's Easter is there.

Are all phones the same or is it just the Sony Xperia?

Where did you buy it? Dubai duty free shop in UAE maybe?

It probably has the same issue with Ramadan, it being a movable fast,
to coin a phrase.

Easter is movable, but entirely predictable on a formula refined under Pope Gregory XIII, who also brought in the Gregorian calendar still in use today.

Ramadan is fairly predictable, but many still rely on actual observation.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Old March 9th 17, 06:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Wed, 08 Mar 2017 20:32:54 +0000, just as I was about to take a
herb, Graham. disturbed my reverie and wrote:

It probably has the same issue with Ramadan, it being a movable fast,
to coin a phrase.

I can think of another group whose festivals move all over the place
with respect to the Gregorian calendar;-).
--
Cheers,

DrT

"If you want to find out what is wrong
with democracy, spend five minutes with
the average voter." - Winston Churchill
Old March 9th 17, 06:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Thu, 9 Mar 2017 09:16:48 -0800 (PST), just as I was about to take a
herb, "R. Mark Clayton" disturbed my reverie
and wrote:

Ramadan is fairly predictable, but many still rely on actual observation.

Isn't the Islamic calendar is a lunar one and as such, festivals are
fixed in that calendar, but move in the Gregorian one?

Old March 10th 17, 08:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

On 08/03/2017 15:32, Tim+ wrote:
Optimist wrote:
I use my mobile phone's calendar to plan meetings etc. I am rather
disappointed that it doesn't yet
show the date of Easter this year, only a few weeks away. It is set to
display UK holidays, and
last year's Easter is there.

Are all phones the same or is it just the Sony Xperia?

Hmmm. Can't find it on my iPhone either...

Tim

Easter Sunday isn't a national holiday. Easter Monday shows in my
Experia Z now I have enabled UK holidays.

Technically correct no doubt but does this mean Christmas Day is not
shown (as Christmas Day) on calendars if it occurs on a Saturday or a
Sunday?

No idea, but the replacement holiday should be shown..

What was the point of posting the words 'Easter Sunday isn't a
national holiday' if you had no idea of the relevance of that
statement?
Old March 10th 17, 10:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

and wrote:

Ramadan is fairly predictable, but many still rely on actual observation.

Isn't the Islamic calendar is a lunar one and as such, festivals are
fixed in that calendar, but move in the Gregorian one?

The Islamic calendar is lunar (as is the date of Easter / Passover), however for many Muslims the crescent of the new moon has to be actually seen (a difficult observation) before Ramadan starts or ends.

Easter OTOH is [in principle*] the first Sunday after the first full moon after the vernal equinox and is calculated.

--
Cheers,

DrT

* there was a 'fiddle factor' to avoid Easter and Passover falling on the same day (risking public disorder in more religious times) however this failed eventually in 1913, 1987 and more recently.
Old March 10th 17, 01:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Fri, 10 Mar 2017 02:48:18 -0800 (PST), just as I was about to take
and wrote:

there was a 'fiddle factor' to avoid Easter and Passover falling on the same day (risking public disorder in more religious times) however this failed eventually in 1913, 1987 and more recently

I can just imagine the Chief Rabbi and the leaders of the churches
facing off to see who blinks first.

Old March 11th 17, 08:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Thu, 09 Mar 2017 07:07:30 +0000, Optimist wrote:

On Wed, 8 Mar 2017 10:56:25 -0800 (PST), "R. Mark Clayton" wrote:

On Wednesday, 8 March 2017 08:30:13 UTC, Optimist wrote:
I use my mobile phone's calendar to plan meetings etc. I am rather disappointed that it doesn't yet
show the date of Easter this year, only a few weeks away. It is set to display UK holidays, and
last year's Easter is there.

Are all phones the same or is it just the Sony Xperia?

Where did you buy it? Dubai duty free shop in UAE maybe?

No, direct from Virgin Media in England in May last year.

In fact there are no public holidays at all for 2017, the last ones being December 25th (Christmas
day), 27th (Boxing Day) and 28th (Christmas Day again according to Xperia).

I've tried showing holidays for other countries e.g. USA and again they show 2016 OK but nothing at
all for 2017.

I've also checked earlier years - holidays are shown for 2015 as well as 2016 but nothing prior. So
it looks as though the phone is shipped with 2 years of holiday data with no ability to update! It's
an M4 Aqua BTW.

Old March 11th 17, 11:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In uk.telecom.mobile message <[email protected]
egroups.com, Fri, 10 Mar 2017 02:48:18, R. Mark Clayton
posted:

Easter OTOH is [in principle*] the first Sunday after the first full
moon after the vernal equinox and is calculated.

No; it is defined by the Tables in the Calendar Act of 1751 as the first
Sunday AFTER whichever Ecclesiastical Full Moon is ON OR AFTER March
21st.

The Ecclesiastical Full Moon is a calculated approximation to the real
full moon (and, in the very long term, must deviate increasingly from
the real Full Moon).

March 21st represents the Vernal Equinox at, I suppose, Jerusalem; but
the true Equinox date also varies a little with the years.

The Catholic implementation is different but invariably gives the same
result.

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Merlyn Web Site < - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.