Old March 18th 17, 04:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Date of Easter

On Sat, 18 Mar 2017 14:30:08 -0000, Daniel James wrote:

In article , Optimist wrote:
Try unticking it, resyncing, and then ticking it again?

Thanks for the suggestion, I have done that but it makes no
difference.

Shame. Worth a try, though.

BTW I have AVG installed on my Xperia, could that be blocking updates?

I wouldn't have thought so ... and I'd expect that you'd have other
problems if it did. I have ESET's mobile security running on my Xperia,
and that certainly hasn't affected anything.

Thanks, Daniel, as I posted upthread, via my PC I copied the holidays to my own calendar as a
work-around.

Old April 2nd 17, 09:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In uk.telecom.mobile message , Sun, 12
Mar 2017 07:45:55, Bob Martin posted:

My access to this newsgroup has, I regret to say, been down for about
three weeks, hence the late reply.

I've used this program for the last 35 years and it's never been wrong.
I believe it was written by Mike Cowlishaw, who created Rexx.
I have no idea how it works and I don't intend to try.

It seems a Rexxification by <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Cowlishaw
of an elderly purely-arithmetic algorithm from pre-computer days. One can
do the job more nicely using some "IF" statements. If, on inspection, it
seems to differ from those I've already tested, I might try converting it
to JavaScript for my tester.

A shorter algorithm serves for 1900-2099.

I test mine for at last 5,700,000 years - the Easter calendar repeat
interval.

But remember - even Gauss got it wrong at first.

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Merlyn Web Site < - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.

---
http://www.avg.com

Old April 2nd 17, 09:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In uk.telecom.mobile message , Mon, 13 Mar
2017 17:48:21, Andrew Benham posted:
On Sun, 12 Mar 2017 11:33:29 +0000, MB wrote:

My access to this newsgroup has, I regret to say, been down for about
three weeks, hence the late reply.

Archbishop of canterbury Justin Welby says unified date could come in
five to 10 years – allowing followers worldwide to celebrate at same time

In the UK, Parliament passed the Easter Act in 1928 - this would set the date
of Easter to between 9 and 15 April each year. It just requires the various
churches to agree on a fixed Easter.

Yes - but that gives a range of 7 ordinary dates YYYY-MM-DD and of 8
ordinal dates YYYY-DDD.

Since 1928, use of ISO 8601 week-numbering has become common in
business; it would be possible, and better, to fix Easter Sunday as
YYYY-W15-7, which gives a range of dates similar, but not equal, to that
of the 1928 Act. I have written to two Archbishops, and got a very nice
reply back from one of them personally.