Old March 16th 17, 07:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Galaxy S5 mini / Nougat

I got some very helpful advice on this newsgroup about updating my
Samsung Galaxy S5 mini to Android Marshmallow. Included in that
advice was advice not to rush into the next update, Nougat, at that
stage.

Since then, Cyanogenmod has disappeared to be replaced by Lineage OS
and I think this has interrupted development.

I see there is now available an Android 7.1.1 Nougat LineageOS 14.1
unofficial ROM. Is it too soon to install this?

Old March 17th 17, 06:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 21:28:33 +0000, Chronos
wrote:

On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 20:42:17 +0000
Scott wrote:

Since then, Cyanogenmod has disappeared to be replaced by Lineage OS
and I think this has interrupted development.

Not really. Cyanogen Inc. just yanked the rug from under the community
project, so they had to get the infrastructure (hosting, build,
rebrand) back up. What did stall development was a rebase to Code
Aurora, which made the February security fixes a bit late.

I see there is now available an Android 7.1.1 Nougat LineageOS 14.1
unofficial ROM. Is it too soon to install this?

Nope. 7.1.1 code is fairly stable now. Lineage now sign their releases
with their own private keys, but the unofficial build should still be
on test keys, so you may even get away without a full wipe, just Dalvik
and cache.

Thanks. I'm sorry to be so ignorant but what are these private keys?
Is there an 'official' build that can be obtained on payment or by
donating to the project as I would not rule this out?
Old March 18th 17, 06:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 12:31:43 +0000, Chronos
wrote:

On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 07:53:14 +0000
Scott wrote:

Thanks. I'm sorry to be so ignorant but what are these private keys?
Is there an 'official' build that can be obtained on payment or by
donating to the project as I would not rule this out?

Some ROMs are signed using a PKI system, which ensures you are getting
an official update. LineageOS adopted this method of verification after
being stabbed in the back by Cyanogen Inc, probably because many, many
unofficial and potentially messed about with builds appeared which
could possibly be compromised. It's all about verification, not control.

So, for example, my own build is signed with test keys, which give an
end user no verification of provenance whatsoever. The official
LineageOS build for my device would be signed by LineageOS' private
keys and the system would be able to verify subsequent updates are also
built by the same key owner.

The reason I don't use the official build is that I remove a few
default packages and absolutely refuse to have things like the Gello
browser on the system as a privileged app.

LineageOS is freely available. No payment required for official builds.

Thanks. I hesitate to ask another question but I cannot find the tar
file anywhere. I have downloaded the LIneage 14.1 compressed file and
unzipped it. There is no sign of any tar file there. I also started
Odin 3 and it does not find any tar file either.
Old March 19th 17, 12:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Chronos wrote:
Tar? The file you downloaded should be a zip. TWRP takes that file
as-is, no decompression necessary. Just copy the file to /sdcard, boot
into TWRP and flash it. Or you can sideload it using adb.

As I said originally, once you have a working recovery, flashing the
"firmware" is simple.

In case it's non-obvious:

Vendor specifc:
Flash the recovery - typically CWM or TWRP.
On Samsung devices it's done with Odin, on Tegra devices nvflash, many
others it's fastboot, etc.
Repartitioning the device can happen here (with care, it's risky)

Non-vendor specific:
Once that's done, boot into recovery on power up using some combination of buttons
held down (varies a bit by phone)
Select the .zip you copied to SD card/internal storage/USB stick
Reflash the OS partition
Optionally wipe the cache and/or data partitions.

The vendor specific section can be a bit confusing because every vendor does
it differently, and the tools are designed for use in service centres rather
than user friendly. Once done, replacing your OS using recovery is fairly
straightforward.

Theo
Old March 19th 17, 12:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 19 Mar 2017 13:16:14 +0000 (GMT), Theo
wrote:

Chronos wrote:
Tar? The file you downloaded should be a zip. TWRP takes that file
as-is, no decompression necessary. Just copy the file to /sdcard, boot
into TWRP and flash it. Or you can sideload it using adb.

As I said originally, once you have a working recovery, flashing the
"firmware" is simple.

In case it's non-obvious:

Vendor specifc:
Flash the recovery - typically CWM or TWRP.
On Samsung devices it's done with Odin, on Tegra devices nvflash, many
others it's fastboot, etc.
Repartitioning the device can happen here (with care, it's risky)

Thanks. This seems to be the difficult bit but bizarrely was
previously completed successfully so TWRP is installed (assuming I
don't need to update TWRP to the latest version, which does not seem
to support my phone).

Non-vendor specific:
Once that's done, boot into recovery on power up using some combination of buttons
held down (varies a bit by phone)
Select the .zip you copied to SD card/internal storage/USB stick
Reflash the OS partition
Optionally wipe the cache and/or data partitions.

Here is where my problem lies, in getting the .zip file on to the
phone's SD card. I have racked my brains for two days!!!

1. Is it Odin 3? This will not recognise the compressed file - only
the unzipped folder - and is looking for a .tar file.

2. Windows 10? Is there a way of making the SD card visible and
dragging the new operating system across?

3. Android Debug Bridge? Does this accomplish paragraph 2?

The vendor specific section can be a bit confusing because every vendor does
it differently, and the tools are designed for use in service centres rather
than user friendly. Once done, replacing your OS using recovery is fairly
straightforward.

I take it I don't need to delete the previous .zip file from the SD
card? Presumably it remains as a back-up.

Old March 19th 17, 01:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Chronos wrote:
On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 13:59:44 +0000
Scott wrote:
2. Windows 10? Is there a way of making the SD card visible and
dragging the new operating system across?

Yes, although the zip is a container for the update and recovery sorts
out what goes where. Plug the device in, unlock it, swipe down the
quick settings and tap "USB charging only." Then select MTP mode. At
this point, Windows 10 should see the device as a drive.

One other option, that I've not tried but I believe works, is to copy the
..zip onto a FAT-formatted USB stick and plug it into the phone via an OTG
cable. That avoids any hassles for phones that don't have removable SD
cards (where I've always done it by just removing the card and putting it in
a PC).

You might have to hunt around the recovery menus a bit to find the location
it mounted the USB stick.

Theo
Old March 19th 17, 02:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 14:32:18 +0000, Chronos
wrote:

On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 14:31:24 +0000
Chronos wrote:

Galaxy S4 mini

Dammit, typo. S5 mini.

Yes. You have an excellent memory.
Old March 19th 17, 04:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Scott wrote:

1. Is it Odin 3? This will not recognise the compressed file - only
the unzipped folder - and is looking for a .tar file.

No, most definitely not.

2. Windows 10? Is there a way of making the SD card visible and
dragging the new operating system across?

Yes, although the zip is a container for the update and recovery sorts
out what goes where. Plug the device in, unlock it, swipe down the
quick settings and tap "USB charging only." Then select MTP mode. At
this point, Windows 10 should see the device as a drive.

3. Android Debug Bridge? Does this accomplish paragraph 2?

adb is much, MUCH easier to work with on Linux, but it does mean having
some command line knowledge. In my case, I reboot to TWRP, tap
Advanced, then Sideload from adb, cd to the directory containing the
zip and just "adb sideload <zipfile"

That bypasses all the faff. However, getting adb to work properly on a
Windows box I believe is quite a task.

Once you have the system up and running, you can delete those zip
files, even the current one, from the /sdcard directory. They're only
ever used by recovery to update the operating system.

Thanks again for all your help. The missing link was that I omitted
to press the build number seven times to enter developer mode. Shame
on me!

Now installed but with a problem authenticating wi-fi. I shall take
this as a challenge for the moment.