Old March 21st 17, 01:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Nougat for S5 mini - part 2

On 21 Mar 2017 11:27:07 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 08:51:46 +0000, Bill Taylor wrote:

On 21 Mar 2017 08:17:08 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 08:09:46 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 23:07:23 +0000, Chronos wrote:

On 20 Mar 2017 22:18:27 GMT Bob Eager wrote:

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 21:18:35 +0000, Chronos wrote:

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 20:30:23 +0000 Scott
wrote:

Roll on Oatcake (?)

That's the Staffordshire version. Next one will probably be Oreo,
noting that I called Nougat (although I said it should be
pronounced "nugget") correctly about 12 months before it was
announced so I'm probably going to be completely wrong this time.

I agree. It's 'Nugget'!

Noo-gah sounds far too twee to be bandying about in geeky circles.
Nugget is one of those words you can say anywhere. Good and woody...
;-)

And it's the correct *English* pronunciation.

It's certainly one pronunciation...

nougat /noo?gä or nug??t/ noun A hard, chewy confection made of a
sweet paste filled with chopped almonds,
pistachio nuts, cherries, etc

[Chambers Dictionary (iOS) © Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd.]

I have long considered Chambers to be a mid-Atlantic reference source!

The Cambridge dictionary has Noo-gah as the UK pronunciation and some
odd Nugget like version for US. The Macmillan dictionary and the Oxford
(UK) dictionary have Noo-gah as the pronunciation too.

OK! My mother always said Nugget, but then her father was Canadian.

In the mid 60s I wasthe only one in my peer group that pronounced
Nestlé correctly, as my dad worked for a branch of the company.

On the TV ads it was always NESSLES Milky Bar.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Old March 21st 17, 05:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Chronos wrote:
I think that even beats my old ARMv6 ZTE Blade (Orange San Francisco)
running KK that $CHILD_PROCESS uses to authenticate to Blizzard. Well
done.

Thanks to a custom ROM, my original San Francisco went from Eclair to
Lollipop. Which runs - very, very badly. Luckily (for it) I managed to fry
the SIM card contacts so the 3G radio doesn't work.

More seriously, the downside to custom ROMs is that support relies on an
ephemeral band of volunteers. If you pick up a ROM from XDA, likely there's
only one person behind it. You don't know how trustworthy they are and
they frequently get bored/break their phone/upgrade and stop supporting
their ROM.

Platforms like Lineage are therefore much better, but still rely on
individual device maintainers to test and fix bugs. Because device
maintainers tend to spend more money and more interest in phones than the
average person, they sometimes can't be bothered to look after old devices
when they have just bought themselves a new shiny. The result is quite a
few devices supported by CM would plough on with nobody at the wheel.
Lineage has culled some of them, but it remains to be seen how sustainable
it is to support so many devices.

The bottom line is: if using a custom ROM, always have a lifeboat prepared
and be ready to abandon ship if the updates stop. Google's production of
separate feature v security updates may help here, but it remains to be seen.

Personally, I'm getting fed up that if I want a secure up-to-date ROM for my
device sometimes the only option is to build it myself.

Theo
Old March 21st 17, 05:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 21 Mar 2017 11:27:07 GMT
Bob Eager wrote:

OK! My mother always said Nugget, but then her father was Canadian.

My father's family said nugget, they were Sarf Lunden through and
through.
Old March 23rd 17, 05:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Scott wrote:

I told my friend about this and she is impressed. She thinks
there should be more publicity to encourage people to update and
retain their phones for longer.

That's OK, but most people wouldn't have a clue how to flash a phone,
and even less of a clue how to unbrick it if something goes wrong.

I've not run custom firmware on any of my android devices for a few
years, I kept a Nexus1 running until the Nexus4 came along, that was
probably pushing it a bit too far, in the days of that phone, the
hardware *did* get left behind what a modern O/S needs very quickly.

To make a similar comparison, a Nexus4 now can probably run a custom
Nougat ROM quite well, the reason I upgraded from the Nexus4 phone was
the availability of 4G, not running out of steam.