Old March 20th 17, 08:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Nougat for S5 mini - part 2

The saga continues. Thanks to those who helped (Chronos and Theo) on
the previous thread. Once I discovered developer mode, the transfer
and installation processes were indeed straightforward.

There was initially a problem with wi-fi that a reboot resolved. I
think it may have been trying to log on to a neighbour's.

However, the problems then started. I was unable to sync my contacts
or my calendar (via gmail). I added the gmail details. I know this
was successful as I received an email from gmail.

A bit of Googling suggested that I needed the Google calendar not the
Android calendar. I tried to get this via Play Store, which said it
was installed already. It was not among the 22 apps. As a test I
tried to install the BBC News app. Again it said it was installed
already but again it was not in the 22 apps. I tried to enter my
gmail address to the contacts setting but it said it was a duplicate.
I tried to find sync options within general settings, without success.

Eventually I gave up as it was long past bed-time and restored Android
6. TWRP works brilliantly.

Again I am scratching my head:

1. Could there be a problem with the build (hennymcc)? Should I be
trying an alternative?
2. Is there a setting or configuration I could have missed?
3. Is Android 7 a step too far?
4. Should I buy an iPhone :-)

Thanks again.

Old March 20th 17, 05:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 10:00:52 +0000, Chronos
wrote:

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 09:44:32 +0000
Scott wrote:

1. Could there be a problem with the build (hennymcc)? Should I be
trying an alternative?
2. Is there a setting or configuration I could have missed?
3. Is Android 7 a step too far?
4. Should I buy an iPhone :-)

Have you updated Gapps to the 7.1 versions?

http://opengapps.org/

Gapps *must* match the operating system, otherwise you'll have strange
problems just like these. For your device, it's ARM, 7.1 and I'd
recommend starting with micro if you need the calendar sync adaptor.

Thanks again. This seems to be the missing link. In fact, once GApps
was installed Android seemed to do almost all the migration work for
me.

As I commented last time, it's like having a new phone without having
to pay for it :-)

Old March 20th 17, 07:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 19:35:26 +0000, Chronos
wrote:

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 18:02:05 +0000
Scott wrote:

As I commented last time, it's like having a new phone without having
to pay for it :-)

That is exactly what I said when challenged on custom ROMs on The
Register. Handsets such as the Moto G, Samsung S5 and so on are
perfectly capable. They should not be obsolete just because the
manufacturer stops updating them. Running a custom ROM is probably the
most ecologically sound thing you can do with a smart 'phone. They're
also more secure as a custom ROM tends to get vulnerabilities fixed
fairly quickly.

Someone tried to argue that I was not a "good consumer." Hard lines.
Growth and profit are not some deity-bestowed right for these people
and I'm buggered if I'm going to landfill something that works
perfectly for my needs just to have The Latest

Thanks. I told my friend about this and she is impressed. She thinks
there should be more publicity to encourage people to update and
retain their phones for longer.

I had a problem getting the battery percentage to display - but solved
it :-)

Roll on Oatcake (?)
Old March 20th 17, 08:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Scott wrote:

As I commented last time, it's like having a new phone without having
to pay for it :-)

That is exactly what I said when challenged on custom ROMs on The
Register. Handsets such as the Moto G, Samsung S5 and so on are
perfectly capable. They should not be obsolete just because the
manufacturer stops updating them. Running a custom ROM is probably the
most ecologically sound thing you can do with a smart 'phone. They're
also more secure as a custom ROM tends to get vulnerabilities fixed
fairly quickly.

Someone tried to argue that I was not a "good consumer." Hard lines.
Growth and profit are not some deity-bestowed right for these people
and I'm buggered if I'm going to landfill something that works
perfectly for my needs just to have The Latest

Samsung Galaxy Ace2 GT18160 Gingerbread. My daughters cast-off. Still
in its pink case.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old March 20th 17, 10:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 23:07:23 +0000, Chronos wrote:

On 20 Mar 2017 22:18:27 GMT Bob Eager wrote:

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 21:18:35 +0000, Chronos wrote:

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 20:30:23 +0000 Scott
wrote:

Roll on Oatcake (?)

That's the Staffordshire version. Next one will probably be Oreo,
noting that I called Nougat (although I said it should be pronounced
"nugget") correctly about 12 months before it was announced so I'm
probably going to be completely wrong this time.

I agree. It's 'Nugget'!

Noo-gah sounds far too twee to be bandying about in geeky circles.
Nugget is one of those words you can say anywhere. Good and woody... ;-)

And it's the correct *English* pronunciation.

Old March 20th 17, 10:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 23:04:41 +0000, Chronos wrote:

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 21:54:11 +0000 Graham.
wrote:

and I'm buggered if I'm going to landfill something that works
perfectly for my needs just to have The Latest™

Samsung Galaxy Ace2 GT18160 Gingerbread. My daughters cast-off. Still
in its pink case.

I think that even beats my old ARMv6 ZTE Blade (Orange San Francisco)
running KK that $CHILD_PROCESS uses to authenticate to Blizzard. Well
done.

$CO_PROCESS has just replaced her Galaxy Ace with a Nexus 5X!

Old March 21st 17, 07:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

Roll on Oatcake (?)

That's the Staffordshire version. Next one will probably be Oreo,
noting that I called Nougat (although I said it should be pronounced
"nugget") correctly about 12 months before it was announced so I'm
probably going to be completely wrong this time.

I agree. It's 'Nugget'!

Noo-gah sounds far too twee to be bandying about in geeky circles.
Nugget is one of those words you can say anywhere. Good and woody... ;-)

And it's the correct *English* pronunciation.

It's certainly one pronunciation...

nougat /nooˈgä or nugˈət/ noun
A hard, chewy confection made of a sweet paste filled with chopped almonds,
pistachio nuts, cherries, etc

[Chambers Dictionary (iOS) © Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd.]

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old March 21st 17, 07:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

Roll on Oatcake (?)

That's the Staffordshire version. Next one will probably be Oreo,
noting that I called Nougat (although I said it should be pronounced
"nugget") correctly about 12 months before it was announced so I'm
probably going to be completely wrong this time.

I agree. It's 'Nugget'!

Noo-gah sounds far too twee to be bandying about in geeky circles.
Nugget is one of those words you can say anywhere. Good and woody...
;-)

And it's the correct *English* pronunciation.

It's certainly one pronunciation...

nougat /nooˈgä or nugˈət/ noun A hard, chewy confection made of a
sweet paste filled with chopped almonds,
pistachio nuts, cherries, etc

[Chambers Dictionary (iOS) © Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd.]

I have long considered Chambers to be a mid-Atlantic reference source!
Old March 21st 17, 10:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

Roll on Oatcake (?)

That's the Staffordshire version. Next one will probably be Oreo,
noting that I called Nougat (although I said it should be
pronounced "nugget") correctly about 12 months before it was
announced so I'm probably going to be completely wrong this time.

I agree. It's 'Nugget'!

Noo-gah sounds far too twee to be bandying about in geeky circles.
Nugget is one of those words you can say anywhere. Good and woody...
;-)

And it's the correct *English* pronunciation.

It's certainly one pronunciation...

nougat /noo?gä or nug??t/ noun A hard, chewy confection made of a
sweet paste filled with chopped almonds,
pistachio nuts, cherries, etc

[Chambers Dictionary (iOS) © Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd.]

I have long considered Chambers to be a mid-Atlantic reference source!

The Cambridge dictionary has Noo-gah as the UK pronunciation and some
odd Nugget like version for US. The Macmillan dictionary and the Oxford
(UK) dictionary have Noo-gah as the pronunciation too.

OK! My mother always said Nugget, but then her father was Canadian.