Old April 16th 17, 05:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Tesco Mobile pre-empts Gibraltexit?

In message , at 07:45:36 on Sun, 16 Apr
2017, Tweed remarked:

you said you had not seen a rate advice message for many years. So
either your phone or mobile operator is broken,

Lots of different phones, and operators.

or you have not roamed within the EU for many years.

Gibraltar?

As you presumably roamed to Gibtel at some point, the latter cannot be
true. A rate advice message would be a really useful clue as to if you
had roamed to an expensive network.

Have checked SMS history and no rate-advice messages.

You also said you had read the uplift for Gibraltar as 40p/minute for voice
when it is 4p.

My bad, that's the cost of calling *to* a Gibraltar landline.

You also said that Tesco had told you that Gibraltar was not
treated as EU, when it is.

What they said was that "no-surcharge roaming in the EU" wasn't yet
activated.

Roaming to Morocco would seem to bust the whole concept of mobile phones. I
was under the assumption that the system was designed to select high signal
strength, and thus by implication nearby, sites. Picking up and roaming to
distant sites when in range of many local sites (both Gibtel and multiple
Spanish networks) would seem to break the whole frequency reuse model of
the cellular system.

The hotel looked over the Straights. Perhaps in-building coverage from
the rock behind it wasn't great?
--
Roland Perry

Old April 16th 17, 05:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 15/04/2017 10:32, Roland Perry wrote:

However the CCS is the same price as ROW, 1.49 a minute. Unfortunately,
Morocco is also 1.49 a minute, so we are still in a bit of a dead end
until "Zone 4" is identified.

A friend of mine was charged 'RotW' rates by O2 on a visit to Finland.

When he enquired, he was told Finland wasn't in the EU ! He soon
escalated that one and received a refund !

--
Mark
Old April 16th 17, 06:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Mark Carver wrote:
On 15/04/2017 10:32, Roland Perry wrote:

However the CCS is the same price as ROW, £1.49 a minute. Unfortunately,
Morocco is also £1.49 a minute, so we are still in a bit of a dead end
until "Zone 4" is identified.

A friend of mine was charged 'RotW' rates by O2 on a visit to Finland.

When he enquired, he was told Finland wasn't in the EU ! He soon
escalated that one and received a refund !

A network that seemingly doesn't send charge advice messages is probably
not to be trusted to get any of the rest of its international billing right
either.

Has anyone else on Tesco received charge advice texts when roaming?

Old April 17th 17, 05:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Sun, 16 Apr 2017 07:45:36 +0000 (UTC), Tweed
wrote:

By the way, as I've not been outside of the EU in ages, do. people know if
the networks supply rate advice messages if you roam to a non EU country?
According to the referenced EU website, it is only a requirement when
roaming within the EU. However, I assume that once a network has gone to
the trouble of supporting such messages they would do it for all roaming.

I live in SE Asia and travel extensively in the region. I seem to get
those advisory texts everywhere I go here when roaming on EE.
Old April 17th 17, 11:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 16/04/2017 18:09, Tweed wrote:

A network that seemingly doesn't send charge advice messages is probably
not to be trusted to get any of the rest of its international billing right
either.

Has anyone else on Tesco received charge advice texts when roaming?

In the last year or so I have received charge advice texts from Tesco
Mobile in USA, Thailand and Qatar. I haven't been to Europe, though...

John

Old April 17th 17, 11:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 17/04/2017 11:24, John Stepney wrote:
On 16/04/2017 18:09, Tweed wrote:

A network that seemingly doesn't send charge advice messages is probably
not to be trusted to get any of the rest of its international billing
right
either.

Has anyone else on Tesco received charge advice texts when roaming?

In the last year or so I have received charge advice texts from Tesco
Mobile in USA, Thailand and Qatar. I haven't been to Europe, though...

I don't think I've had any in Europe on EE for a couple of years. I do
get notices inviting me to buy data 'add ons' but the prices are
incorrect (for the deal I'm on) They are higher than I'm actually charged.

--
Mark
Old April 17th 17, 02:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In message , at 11:24:39 on Mon, 17
Apr 2017, John Stepney remarked:

In the last year or so I have received charge advice texts from Tesco
Mobile in USA, Thailand and Qatar. I haven't been to Europe, though...

Even though (for another 23 months and counting) the UK is in Europe?
--
Roland Perry
Old April 17th 17, 03:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 17/04/2017 14:47, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:24:39 on Mon, 17
Apr 2017, John Stepney remarked:

In the last year or so I have received charge advice texts from Tesco
Mobile in USA, Thailand and Qatar. I haven't been to Europe, though...

Even though (for another 23 months and counting) the UK is in Europe?

I thought we were leaving the EU, not Europe:-)

Peter

---
http://www.avg.com

Old April 17th 17, 03:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:24:39 on Mon, 17
Apr 2017, John Stepney remarked:

In the last year or so I have received charge advice texts from Tesco
Mobile in USA, Thailand and Qatar. I haven't been to Europe, though...

Even though (for another 23 months and counting) the UK is in Europe?

The response was in the context of rate advice messages whilst roaming on
Tesco mobile. Clearly you don't get a rate advice message whilst in the
U.K.

Now you wouldn't be trying to be deliberately awkward would you......?

Old April 17th 17, 03:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In message , at 14:06:23 on Mon, 17 Apr
2017, Tweed remarked:

In the last year or so I have received charge advice texts from Tesco
Mobile in USA, Thailand and Qatar. I haven't been to Europe, though...

Even though (for another 23 months and counting) the UK is in Europe?

The response was in the context of rate advice messages whilst roaming on
Tesco mobile. Clearly you don't get a rate advice message whilst in the
U.K.

In the context, don't you expect to get an "everything back to default"
rate advice message when returning from the USA/Thailand/Quatar?
--
Roland Perry