Old April 17th 17, 02:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Tesco Mobile pre-empts Gibraltexit?

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 14:06:23 on Mon, 17 Apr
2017, Tweed remarked:

In the last year or so I have received charge advice texts from Tesco
Mobile in USA, Thailand and Qatar. I haven't been to Europe, though...

Even though (for another 23 months and counting) the UK is in Europe?

The response was in the context of rate advice messages whilst roaming on
Tesco mobile. Clearly you don't get a rate advice message whilst in the
U.K.

In the context, don't you expect to get an "everything back to default"
rate advice message when returning from the USA/Thailand/Quatar?

No.

When roaming you are not expected to have an encyclopaedic knowledge of the
charges. When back in the UK there is an assumption that you do know your
package.

Old April 18th 17, 08:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In message , at 14:48:51 on Mon, 17 Apr
2017, Tweed remarked:
In the last year or so I have received charge advice texts from Tesco
Mobile in USA, Thailand and Qatar. I haven't been to Europe, though...

Even though (for another 23 months and counting) the UK is in Europe?

The response was in the context of rate advice messages whilst roaming on
Tesco mobile. Clearly you don't get a rate advice message whilst in the
U.K.

In the context, don't you expect to get an "everything back to default"
rate advice message when returning from the USA/Thailand/Quatar?

No.

When roaming you are not expected to have an encyclopaedic knowledge of the
charges. When back in the UK there is an assumption that you do know your
package.

That's not really the point. What you need to know is that you are
"back" where UK-rates apply. That could be far form obvious on certain
stretches of the soft-border between the two halves of Ireland, for
example.
--
Roland Perry
Old April 18th 17, 09:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Pretty much every phone comes with a handy indicator on the display stating
which operator you are using. I would imagine that people in border areas
are used to checking that. Rate advice messages are not intended to give a
second tier of warning, but to make you aware of the charges. In my
experience, you only get one such message in a day per operator. Otherwise,
in border areas you would be driven mad by a constant stream of texts as
you swapped between networks.

I was only postulating the use of a rate advice message to help you
determine how you had been over charged for your phone call. That you have
never received such, and that others on Tesco have, would lead me to ask
Tesco why you don't get them. This may, or may not, be connected with the
billing error that I strongly suspect you have been subject to.

By the way, which hotel were you in when you made the call? I'm struggling
to see how you can be overlooking both the port and the strait at the same
time.

Old April 18th 17, 10:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In message , at 09:55:34 on Tue, 18 Apr
2017, Tweed remarked:
Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

And seeing that they are indeed, [still] on Vodafone or 3.

I was only postulating the use of a rate advice message to help you
determine how you had been over charged for your phone call. That you have
never received such, and that others on Tesco have, would lead me to ask
Tesco why you don't get them. This may, or may not, be connected with the
billing error that I strongly suspect you have been subject to.

By the way, which hotel were you in when you made the call? I'm struggling
to see how you can be overlooking both the port and the strait at the same
time.

To the left, picture 14 he

<https://www.expedia.co.uk/Gibraltar-...l.h3805.Hotel-
Information
--
Roland Perry
Old April 18th 17, 11:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

[...]

IME there is no linkage in time with crossing the border and getting the
text

sometimes they arrive more or less instantly, on other occasions two days
later

tim

--
Roland Perry

Old April 18th 17, 02:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Ah. I stayed in the same hotel. It doesn't overlook the strait. It faces
west across the Bay of Gibraltar. What you see across the water from your
hotel room is Spain. I suppose it is just about possible to plot a line
from the balcony to Morocco. If you were away from the Windows by more than
a few feet I would think Morocco would be screened. However, I found my
phone was getting full signal strength from Gibtel. I think I got a welcome
to Spain rate advice once whilst walking higher up the rock. Down at the
most southern tip of Gibraltar, Europa Point, I could just about make out
Africa. My phone didn't attempt to roam to anything African however.

I would imagine that a strong Moroccan signal covering the Bay of Gibraltar
would not only annoy the Gibraltarians, but would cause trouble for large
numbers of Spanish subscribers as well. I've never really thought about
this much, but I presume there must be co-operation in border areas to
limit signal overspill. I did notice on the Dutch Belgium border that my
phone would switch within a few hundred metres of the physical border, on
pretty much every minor road crossing.

Lots of very interesting comms antennas all over the Rock if you look hard
enough....

Old April 18th 17, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 18/04/2017 11:52, Roland Perry wrote:

And seeing that they are indeed, [still] on Vodafone or 3.

Yea but, it normally says Vodafone NL, or Vodafone DE, or 3 IE
doesn't it ?

--
Mark
Old April 18th 17, 07:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In message , at 19:36:36 on Tue, 18
Apr 2017, Mark Carver remarked:
And seeing that they are indeed, [still] on Vodafone or 3.

Yea but, it normally says Vodafone NL, or Vodafone DE, or 3 IE
doesn't it ?

I don't know. But pretty sure I've never seen Vodafone UK (etc). So why
would it be different elsewhere.
--
Roland Perry
Old April 18th 17, 07:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 19:36:36 on Tue, 18
Apr 2017, Mark Carver remarked:
And seeing that they are indeed, [still] on Vodafone or 3.

Yea but, it normally says Vodafone NL, or Vodafone DE, or 3 IE
doesn't it ?

I don't know. But pretty sure I've never seen Vodafone UK (etc). So why
would it be different elsewhere.

My phone is currently displaying Vodafone UK

Old April 18th 17, 09:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

[...]

Yes, I saw some state-of-the-art comms when I went there on business
in 2012

https://www.flickr.com/gp/g3zvt/7p0Rvk

Have a look through the album if you wish

https://www.flickr.com/gp/g3zvt/6RW10H

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%