Old April 14th 17, 02:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Tesco Mobile pre-empts Gibraltexit?

Whoops.

Got charged 9 for a six minute call in Gibraltar, which one might have
expected to be in EU region (and hence bundled).

But perhaps it was roaming across the Straights to north Africa.

Anyone with more Google-fu than me - would that account for the "Region
4" designation on the bill?
--
Roland Perry

Old April 14th 17, 03:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
Whoops.

Got charged 9 for a six minute call in Gibraltar, which one might
have expected to be in EU region (and hence bundled).

But perhaps it was roaming across the Straights to north Africa.

Anyone with more Google-fu than me - would that account for the
"Region 4" designation on the bill?
--

It is all on the Tesco page.

Gib to Gib or Gib to UK should be 4p/min. However Moroco to Gib or UK
is 1.49 per minute, so your thoughts of it skipping across the
Straits is probably right.

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old April 14th 17, 06:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Woody wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
Whoops.

Got charged 」9 for a six minute call in Gibraltar, which one might
have expected to be in EU region (and hence bundled).

But perhaps it was roaming across the Straights to north Africa.

Anyone with more Google-fu than me - would that account for the
"Region 4" designation on the bill?
--

It is all on the Tesco page.

Gib to Gib or Gib to UK should be 4p/min. However Moroco to Gib or UK
is 」1.49 per minute, so your thoughts of it skipping across the
Straits is probably right.

Remarkably unlucky if you did connect to Morocco. I was recently in
Gibraltar, and it seemed to be a constant battle between the local provider
and Spanish networks. It's 9 miles to Morocco, and I'd be amazed if the
Moroccan networks went to the effort of leaking their signal that far. My
phone never saw a sniff of them even at Europa Point. Gibtel had very good
coverage all over the rock. It would take odd propagation conditions for
your phone to prefer Morocco, or perhaps some weird SIM preferences on your
Tesco SIM. I found Gibraltar one of the more interesting places I've been
to.

Old April 14th 17, 06:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In message , at 16:52:12 on Fri, 14 Apr
2017, Woody remarked:

Anyone with more Google-fu than me - would that account for the
"Region 4" designation on the bill?

It is all on the Tesco page.

I couldn't find one that told me what Region 4 was.

Need to confirm that first.

Another option is a scammer with a picocell claiming to be in where ever
Region 4 is.
--
Roland Perry
Old April 14th 17, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 16:52:12 on Fri, 14 Apr
2017, Woody remarked:

Anyone with more Google-fu than me - would that account for the
"Region 4" designation on the bill?

It is all on the Tesco page.

I couldn't find one that told me what Region 4 was.

Need to confirm that first.

Another option is a scammer with a picocell claiming to be in where ever
Region 4 is.

You weren't next to a docked cruise ship by any chance?
Alternatively a billing error, Tesco's computers being unaware of Gibraltar
and defaulting to the default case.

Old April 15th 17, 07:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In message , at 18:39:04 on Fri, 14 Apr
2017, Tweed remarked:
Anyone with more Google-fu than me - would that account for the
"Region 4" designation on the bill?

It is all on the Tesco page.

I couldn't find one that told me what Region 4 was.

Need to confirm that first.

Another option is a scammer with a picocell claiming to be in where ever
Region 4 is.

You weren't next to a docked cruise ship by any chance?

The hotel was overlooking the harbour.

Alternatively a billing error,

That was my first thought, but you'd think they would have received
enough complaints by now.

Tesco's computers being unaware of Gibraltar and defaulting to the
default case.

I'm still waiting for anyone who knows what "Region 4" means
--
Roland Perry
Old April 15th 17, 08:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 14/04/17 15:07, Roland Perry wrote:
Whoops.

Got charged £9 for a six minute call in Gibraltar, which one might have
expected to be in EU region (and hence bundled).

But perhaps it was roaming across the Straights to north Africa.

Anyone with more Google-fu than me - would that account for the "Region
4" designation on the bill?

According to the "three" price guide, Band 4 is "Ships, Ferries, Cruise
Liners, Airlines"

--
PeeGee

to be removed from a computer easily."
Old April 15th 17, 09:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In message , at
09:02:24 on Sat, 15 Apr 2017, PeeGee remarked:
Whoops.

Got charged 9 for a six minute call in Gibraltar, which one might have
expected to be in EU region (and hence bundled).

But perhaps it was roaming across the Straights to north Africa.

Anyone with more Google-fu than me - would that account for the "Region
4" designation on the bill?

According to the "three" price guide, Band 4 is "Ships, Ferries, Cruise
Liners, Airlines"

EE has different naming - Zone(sic) 4 is "USA and Canada"
- Zone 7 maritime
- Zone 8 planes

O2's drop-down menu system (no tariff document as such) has
"Ships/Ferries/Airplane" [is there no end to the variations in
nomenclature, and what about seaplanes??] but no zone/band number
associated with it.

Tesco's drop-down menu system (again no tariff document as such), again
has no bands/zones mentioned, but has entries for Caribbean Cruise
Ship[1] and merely "Rest of the World" as the only (other)
non-geographic entity.

However the CCS is the same price as ROW, 1.49 a minute. Unfortunately,
Morocco is also 1.49 a minute, so we are still in a bit of a dead end
until "Zone 4" is identified.

[1] Clearly the answer to my earlier question is "No, there is no
limit".
--
Roland Perry
Old April 15th 17, 03:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Do you get a text when you have roamed to a network you have not used
before? I always do, and it gives pricing details. I've some vague memory
that this is a requirement. Got anything in your text history?

Old April 15th 17, 03:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Tweed wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

A web chat with Tesco reveals that they don't have a list of region 4
countries. But you can ask them if a country is in region 4 and they can
respond yes or no. However, both Morocco and cruise ships are both region
4, so we are no further forwards. However, I'd still go for the billing
error theory.

My own experience of Gibraltar, and I spent two and a half days walking
over most of it, was that Gibtel had the rock pretty much saturated with
signal. 4G mainly, but curiously only 2G on the top of the rock. Twice I
got captured by a Spanish network, but that's hardly surprising given that
you can see Spain most of the time. The harbour area doesn't even face
Morocco and you are pretty likely to be screened by local buildings. In
terms of
decreasing probability I'd go for billing error, cruise ship, Morocco.