UK Mobile Phones (uk.telecom.mobile) Mobile telephone equipment and networks.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old April 19th 17, 07:00 PM
Junior Member
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Apr 2017
Posts: 1
Default Dual sim phone, more complicated than I thought, anyone help?

Hi everyone, First post by me here, sorry if I seem a bit dim but I need someone to help, if you can.
I have a personal phone contract with Tesco, had it for years, love it.
I have a PAYG Sim from Three, which is used so that I can work from home/ have flexible office hours. It is a number which can be given to my company's customers, so they can call me. I don't use any data on it, and very rarely call/text out, as I have plenty of capacity to do that on my personal contract if necessary - or I call them when I am back in the office. I chose Three because any money we put on the sim doesn't expire after a month, AND because they have WiFi calling (Three in Touch), useful cos mobile reception in my house can be a bit dodgy.

So for the last few months I've been carrying 2 phones about with me, a pain in the bum. I've treated myself to a shiny new Moto g5 which takes 2 sims. my intention was that my tesco sim would be my Primary sim - all outgoing calls/texts and data would use that sim, and the Three sim would be secondary, simply there to receive calls.

BUT .... the Three sim won't work as the secondary sim. After a lot of faffing about and chats with three support over twitter, I find that this is because whichever sim is set as the secondary sim only uses 2g - and Three no longer supports 2g - so I can't make this work as I'd like to.

So .. techy experts out there - do you know if any of the networks still support 2g, and have wifi calling (is that even technically possible)? If they also have PAYG which doesn't expire that would be icing on the cake - but I think I'm pushing the boundaries too far with that .
Thanks for reading this far
Angie

  #2   Report Post  
Old April 19th 17, 10:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Aug 2010
Posts: 230
Default Dual sim phone, more complicated than I thought, anyone help?

On 19/04/2017 20:00, Friendly-Bookkeeper wrote:
Hi everyone, First post by me here, sorry if I seem a bit dim but I
need someone to help, if you can.
I have a personal phone contract with Tesco, had it for years, love it.
I have a PAYG Sim from Three, which is used so that I can work from
home/ have flexible office hours. It is a number which can be given to
my company's customers, so they can call me. I don't use any data on it,
and very rarely call/text out, as I have plenty of capacity to do that
on my personal contract if necessary - or I call them when I am back in
the office. I chose Three because any money we put on the sim doesn't
expire after a month, AND because they have WiFi calling (Three in
Touch), useful cos mobile reception in my house can be a bit dodgy.

So for the last few months I've been carrying 2 phones about with me, a
pain in the bum. I've treated myself to a shiny new Moto g5 which takes
2 sims. my intention was that my tesco sim would be my Primary sim - all
outgoing calls/texts and data would use that sim, and the Three sim
would be secondary, simply there to receive calls.

BUT .... the Three sim won't work as the secondary sim. After a lot of
faffing about and chats with three support over twitter, I find that
this is because whichever sim is set as the secondary sim only uses 2g -
and Three no longer supports 2g - so I can't make this work as I'd like
to.

So .. techy experts out there - do you know if any of the networks still
support 2g, and have wifi calling (is that even technically possible)?
If they also have PAYG which doesn't expire that would be icing on the
cake - but I think I'm pushing the boundaries too far with that .
Thanks for reading this far
Angie


I had a very similar problem with my dual SIM Moto G2 phone. Whichever
SIM is set for using mobile data, uses 3G - and the other SIM can only
use 2G. As you rightly say, if this other SIM is a '3' SIM, that won't
work because '3' will *only* work on 3G (except when roaming abroad -
but that won't help you!)

I gave up trying to use '3' in my Moto G and put the '3'SIM back into
dumb phone which I keep for emergency use. I'm now using a Delight SIM
in the second slot. Like '3', this is a PAYG SIM whose credit doesn't
expire, but it uses the EE network and *will* work on 3G. Its charging
is the same as '3' - 3-2-1. It's worth having a look at. I'm afraid I
don't know whether it supports wifi calling - that's something I've
never needed to do.
--
Cheers,
Roger
____________
Please reply to Newsgroup. Whilst email address is valid, it is seldom
checked.
  #3   Report Post  
Old April 19th 17, 10:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Nov 2012
Posts: 587
Default Dual sim phone, more complicated than I thought, anyone help?


"Friendly-Bookkeeper" wrote in
message ...

Hi everyone, First post by me here, sorry if I seem a bit dim but
I
need someone to help, if you can.
I have a personal phone contract with Tesco, had it for years, love
it.
I have a PAYG Sim from Three, which is used so that I can work from
home/ have flexible office hours. It is a number which can be given
to
my company's customers, so they can call me. I don't use any data on
it,
and very rarely call/text out, as I have plenty of capacity to do
that
on my personal contract if necessary - or I call them when I am back
in
the office. I chose Three because any money we put on the sim
doesn't
expire after a month, AND because they have WiFi calling (Three in
Touch), useful cos mobile reception in my house can be a bit dodgy.

So for the last few months I've been carrying 2 phones about with
me, a
pain in the bum. I've treated myself to a shiny new Moto g5 which
takes
2 sims. my intention was that my tesco sim would be my Primary sim -
all
outgoing calls/texts and data would use that sim, and the Three sim
would be secondary, simply there to receive calls.

BUT .... the Three sim won't work as the secondary sim. After a lot
of
faffing about and chats with three support over twitter, I find that
this is because whichever sim is set as the secondary sim only uses
2g -
and Three no longer supports 2g - so I can't make this work as I'd
like
to.

So .. techy experts out there - do you know if any of the networks
still
support 2g, and have wifi calling (is that even technically
possible)?
If they also have PAYG which doesn't expire that would be icing on
the
cake - but I think I'm pushing the boundaries too far with that .
Thanks for reading this far
Angie



All of the networks support 2G except Three per se. Three is a
specific 3G network so your phone has to register on 3G first, but if
you then trundle out of 3G coverage it will (should) roll back to
their 2G service provider for speech - ISTR originally O2 and later
EE.

There seems to be discussion as to whether this 2G fallback still
works. Any Three shop will tell you it doesn't, but plenty of people
on here will tell you it does.

The issue of the second SIM slot only supporting 2G is not unknown,
indeed it has been discussed on here several times. The fact that the
supplier fails to tell you that said slot will only support 2G is down
to poor training. I suspect the reason that there is a second slot is
purely so that you still have a chance to make a speech call on a
second system when you go out of range of your primary service
provider. Unless you specifically asked before purchase if the second
slot supported data and you had not just assumed it then you have no
claim under SoGA against the supplier on the basis that it does not
meet your stated need.

If you have poor coverage at home most of the SPs now provide a
nano-cell unit that gives a cellular signal inside your house and
connects to the SPs system using your broadband. As far as their
system is concerned your phone is still on it so incoming calls will
also be routed through your personal cell.

Money credited to your SIM does not expire in 30 days on any of the
major provider's systems, only 30-day bundles do that. Having said
that, if you go into an SP's shop they will not tell you that SIM
credit other than by bundles is still available. However (1) there has
to be one event that affects your account - credit or debit - inside
90 days since the last event (cheapest solution is to send a text) and
(2) the call rates are usually rather higher. However, if as you say
this phone is used primarily for incoming calls then it will not be a
problem.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com


  #4   Report Post  
Old April 19th 17, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Nov 2012
Posts: 587
Default Dual sim phone, more complicated than I thought, anyone help?


"Roger Mills" wrote in message
...
On 19/04/2017 20:00, Friendly-Bookkeeper wrote:
Hi everyone, First post by me here, sorry if I seem a bit dim but
I
need someone to help, if you can.
I have a personal phone contract with Tesco, had it for years, love
it.
I have a PAYG Sim from Three, which is used so that I can work from
home/ have flexible office hours. It is a number which can be given
to
my company's customers, so they can call me. I don't use any data
on it,
and very rarely call/text out, as I have plenty of capacity to do
that
on my personal contract if necessary - or I call them when I am
back in
the office. I chose Three because any money we put on the sim
doesn't
expire after a month, AND because they have WiFi calling (Three in
Touch), useful cos mobile reception in my house can be a bit dodgy.

So for the last few months I've been carrying 2 phones about with
me, a
pain in the bum. I've treated myself to a shiny new Moto g5 which
takes
2 sims. my intention was that my tesco sim would be my Primary
sim - all
outgoing calls/texts and data would use that sim, and the Three sim
would be secondary, simply there to receive calls.

BUT .... the Three sim won't work as the secondary sim. After a lot
of
faffing about and chats with three support over twitter, I find
that
this is because whichever sim is set as the secondary sim only uses
2g -
and Three no longer supports 2g - so I can't make this work as I'd
like
to.

So .. techy experts out there - do you know if any of the networks
still
support 2g, and have wifi calling (is that even technically
possible)?
If they also have PAYG which doesn't expire that would be icing on
the
cake - but I think I'm pushing the boundaries too far with that .
Thanks for reading this far
Angie


I had a very similar problem with my dual SIM Moto G2 phone.
Whichever SIM is set for using mobile data, uses 3G - and the other
SIM can only use 2G. As you rightly say, if this other SIM is a '3'
SIM, that won't work because '3' will *only* work on 3G (except when
roaming abroad - but that won't help you!)

I gave up trying to use '3' in my Moto G and put the '3'SIM back
into dumb phone which I keep for emergency use. I'm now using a
Delight SIM in the second slot. Like '3', this is a PAYG SIM whose
credit doesn't expire, but it uses the EE network and *will* work on
3G. Its charging is the same as '3' - 3-2-1. It's worth having a
look at. I'm afraid I don't know whether it supports wifi calling -
that's something I've never needed to do.
--



Er, not quite right there.

With Delight any unused credit is lost 90 days after your last top-up.
Have a look at Pete Forman's excellent site and in particular the
section at the bottom headed Inactivity.

https://payg-petef.rhcloud.com/


--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com


  #5   Report Post  
Old April 20th 17, 08:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Jun 2015
Posts: 162
Default Dual sim phone, more complicated than I thought, anyone help?

On Wednesday, 19 April 2017 23:12:40 UTC+1, Roger Mills wrote:
On 19/04/2017 20:00, Friendly-Bookkeeper wrote:
Hi everyone, First post by me here, sorry if I seem a bit dim but I
need someone to help, if you can.
I have a personal phone contract with Tesco, had it for years, love it.
I have a PAYG Sim from Three, which is used so that I can work from
home/ have flexible office hours. It is a number which can be given to
my company's customers, so they can call me. I don't use any data on it,
and very rarely call/text out, as I have plenty of capacity to do that
on my personal contract if necessary - or I call them when I am back in
the office. I chose Three because any money we put on the sim doesn't
expire after a month, AND because they have WiFi calling (Three in
Touch), useful cos mobile reception in my house can be a bit dodgy.

So for the last few months I've been carrying 2 phones about with me, a
pain in the bum. I've treated myself to a shiny new Moto g5 which takes
2 sims. my intention was that my tesco sim would be my Primary sim - all
outgoing calls/texts and data would use that sim, and the Three sim
would be secondary, simply there to receive calls.

BUT .... the Three sim won't work as the secondary sim. After a lot of
faffing about and chats with three support over twitter, I find that
this is because whichever sim is set as the secondary sim only uses 2g -
and Three no longer supports 2g - so I can't make this work as I'd like
to.

So .. techy experts out there - do you know if any of the networks still
support 2g, and have wifi calling (is that even technically possible)?
If they also have PAYG which doesn't expire that would be icing on the
cake - but I think I'm pushing the boundaries too far with that .
Thanks for reading this far
Angie


I had a very similar problem with my dual SIM Moto G2 phone. Whichever
SIM is set for using mobile data, uses 3G - and the other SIM can only
use 2G. As you rightly say, if this other SIM is a '3' SIM, that won't
work because '3' will *only* work on 3G (except when roaming abroad -
but that won't help you!)

I gave up trying to use '3' in my Moto G and put the '3'SIM back into
dumb phone which I keep for emergency use. I'm now using a Delight SIM
in the second slot. Like '3', this is a PAYG SIM whose credit doesn't
expire, but it uses the EE network and *will* work on 3G. Its charging
is the same as '3' - 3-2-1. It's worth having a look at. I'm afraid I
don't know whether it supports wifi calling - that's something I've
never needed to do.
--
Cheers,
Roger
____________
Please reply to Newsgroup. Whilst email address is valid, it is seldom
checked.


This has already been discussed on this group. It appears that the second SIM position is 2G only and '3' don't like it if you roam off their 3G only network onto others without good reason.

You can call in and out over wi-fi and 3/4G using VOIP and have a landline number.


  #6   Report Post  
Old April 20th 17, 10:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: May 2008
Posts: 11
Default Dual sim phone, more complicated than I thought, anyone help?

I have a (newly purchased) Moto G4 plus. It was bought because my old
Moto G2 was only a 3g+2g phone and I wanted a 5.5" screen. In the Moto
G4+ I have an EE SIM in the 1st slot and a 3 SIM in the second slot.
Both work OK except data is can only be enabled on one of them at a
time.

Did motorola remove this ability in the G5 I wonder. And if so I wonder
why.

In message ,
Friendly-Bookkeeper writes

Hi everyone, First post by me here, sorry if I seem a bit dim but I
need someone to help, if you can.
I have a personal phone contract with Tesco, had it for years, love it.
I have a PAYG Sim from Three, which is used so that I can work from
home/ have flexible office hours. It is a number which can be given to
my company's customers, so they can call me. I don't use any data on it,
and very rarely call/text out, as I have plenty of capacity to do that
on my personal contract if necessary - or I call them when I am back in
the office. I chose Three because any money we put on the sim doesn't
expire after a month, AND because they have WiFi calling (Three in
Touch), useful cos mobile reception in my house can be a bit dodgy.

So for the last few months I've been carrying 2 phones about with me, a
pain in the bum. I've treated myself to a shiny new Moto g5 which takes
2 sims. my intention was that my tesco sim would be my Primary sim - all
outgoing calls/texts and data would use that sim, and the Three sim
would be secondary, simply there to receive calls.

BUT .... the Three sim won't work as the secondary sim. After a lot of
faffing about and chats with three support over twitter, I find that
this is because whichever sim is set as the secondary sim only uses 2g -
and Three no longer supports 2g - so I can't make this work as I'd like
to.

So .. techy experts out there - do you know if any of the networks still
support 2g, and have wifi calling (is that even technically possible)?
If they also have PAYG which doesn't expire that would be icing on the
cake - but I think I'm pushing the boundaries too far with that .
Thanks for reading this far
Angie




--
Ian King

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

  #7   Report Post  
Old April 20th 17, 11:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: May 2004
Posts: 1,256
Default Dual sim phone, more complicated than I thought, anyone help?

In message , at 23:16:50 on Wed, 19 Apr
2017, Woody remarked:

All of the networks support 2G except Three per se.


And for jolly good reasons. I was out in Littleport (8k population, on
A10, has station on the Kings Cross line) and outside a shop just off
the High Street I was getting 2G only on EE; inside, nothing.

Just down the road In Ely, I gave up on Virgin because the legacy
T-mobile infrastructure gave mainly 2G only. Recently I've noticed a
glimmer of 3G on the first floor of the house, from a cellsite about six
miles to the south!
--
Roland Perry
  #8   Report Post  
Old April 20th 17, 08:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Aug 2010
Posts: 230
Default Dual sim phone, more complicated than I thought, anyone help?

On 19/04/2017 23:26, Woody wrote:
"Roger wrote in message
...
On 19/04/2017 20:00, Friendly-Bookkeeper wrote:
Hi everyone, First post by me here, sorry if I seem a bit dim but
I
need someone to help, if you can.
I have a personal phone contract with Tesco, had it for years, love
it.
I have a PAYG Sim from Three, which is used so that I can work from
home/ have flexible office hours. It is a number which can be given
to
my company's customers, so they can call me. I don't use any data
on it,
and very rarely call/text out, as I have plenty of capacity to do
that
on my personal contract if necessary - or I call them when I am
back in
the office. I chose Three because any money we put on the sim
doesn't
expire after a month, AND because they have WiFi calling (Three in
Touch), useful cos mobile reception in my house can be a bit dodgy.

So for the last few months I've been carrying 2 phones about with
me, a
pain in the bum. I've treated myself to a shiny new Moto g5 which
takes
2 sims. my intention was that my tesco sim would be my Primary
sim - all
outgoing calls/texts and data would use that sim, and the Three sim
would be secondary, simply there to receive calls.

BUT .... the Three sim won't work as the secondary sim. After a lot
of
faffing about and chats with three support over twitter, I find
that
this is because whichever sim is set as the secondary sim only uses
2g -
and Three no longer supports 2g - so I can't make this work as I'd
like
to.

So .. techy experts out there - do you know if any of the networks
still
support 2g, and have wifi calling (is that even technically
possible)?
If they also have PAYG which doesn't expire that would be icing on
the
cake - but I think I'm pushing the boundaries too far with that .
Thanks for reading this far
Angie


I had a very similar problem with my dual SIM Moto G2 phone.
Whichever SIM is set for using mobile data, uses 3G - and the other
SIM can only use 2G. As you rightly say, if this other SIM is a '3'
SIM, that won't work because '3' will *only* work on 3G (except when
roaming abroad - but that won't help you!)

I gave up trying to use '3' in my Moto G and put the '3'SIM back
into dumb phone which I keep for emergency use. I'm now using a
Delight SIM in the second slot. Like '3', this is a PAYG SIM whose
credit doesn't expire, but it uses the EE network and *will* work on
3G. Its charging is the same as '3' - 3-2-1. It's worth having a
look at. I'm afraid I don't know whether it supports wifi calling -
that's something I've never needed to do.



Er, not quite right there.

With Delight any unused credit is lost 90 days after your last top-up.
Have a look at Pete Forman's excellent site and in particular the
section at the bottom headed Inactivity.

https://payg-petef.rhcloud.com/



Well, I've only ever topped up once with 5 - and that was yonks ago.
I've just done a balance enquiry, and I've still got 3.99 left. How do
you explain that?
--
Cheers,
Roger
____________
Please reply to Newsgroup. Whilst email address is valid, it is seldom
checked.
  #9   Report Post  
Old April 20th 17, 08:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Aug 2010
Posts: 230
Default Dual sim phone, more complicated than I thought, anyone help?

On 19/04/2017 23:16, Woody wrote:
wrote in
message ...

Hi everyone, First post by me here, sorry if I seem a bit dim but
I
need someone to help, if you can.
I have a personal phone contract with Tesco, had it for years, love
it.
I have a PAYG Sim from Three, which is used so that I can work from
home/ have flexible office hours. It is a number which can be given
to
my company's customers, so they can call me. I don't use any data on
it,
and very rarely call/text out, as I have plenty of capacity to do
that
on my personal contract if necessary - or I call them when I am back
in
the office. I chose Three because any money we put on the sim
doesn't
expire after a month, AND because they have WiFi calling (Three in
Touch), useful cos mobile reception in my house can be a bit dodgy.

So for the last few months I've been carrying 2 phones about with
me, a
pain in the bum. I've treated myself to a shiny new Moto g5 which
takes
2 sims. my intention was that my tesco sim would be my Primary sim -
all
outgoing calls/texts and data would use that sim, and the Three sim
would be secondary, simply there to receive calls.

BUT .... the Three sim won't work as the secondary sim. After a lot
of
faffing about and chats with three support over twitter, I find that
this is because whichever sim is set as the secondary sim only uses
2g -
and Three no longer supports 2g - so I can't make this work as I'd
like
to.

So .. techy experts out there - do you know if any of the networks
still
support 2g, and have wifi calling (is that even technically
possible)?
If they also have PAYG which doesn't expire that would be icing on
the
cake - but I think I'm pushing the boundaries too far with that .
Thanks for reading this far
Angie



All of the networks support 2G except Three per se. Three is a
specific 3G network so your phone has to register on 3G first, but if
you then trundle out of 3G coverage it will (should) roll back to
their 2G service provider for speech - ISTR originally O2 and later
EE.

There seems to be discussion as to whether this 2G fallback still
works. Any Three shop will tell you it doesn't, but plenty of people
on here will tell you it does.


Will they? I don't recall anyone saying that '3' will fallback to 2G in
the UK. [It *will* roam onto 2G networks overseas].

The issue of the second SIM slot only supporting 2G is not unknown,
indeed it has been discussed on here several times. The fact that the
supplier fails to tell you that said slot will only support 2G is down
to poor training.


It's got nothing to do with the physical slot (on my phone, at any
rate). It's all down to which *SIM* is designated for data - and this
can be in either slot, it doesn't matter. So slot 1 can be 3G and slot 2
2G, or vice versa. But they can't *both* be 3G at the same time.
--
Cheers,
Roger
____________
Please reply to Newsgroup. Whilst email address is valid, it is seldom
checked.
  #10   Report Post  
Old April 21st 17, 06:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Oct 2011
Posts: 274
Default Dual sim phone, more complicated than I thought, anyone help?

On 20/04/2017 21:18, Roger Mills wrote:

Will they? I don't recall anyone saying that '3' will fallback to 2G in
the UK. [It *will* roam onto 2G networks overseas].

Try recalling harder - it was a condition of the 5th license that they
could have national roaming on 2G. There are stories that this has been
scaled back since they launched such that it only works in areas where
they really don't have a 3G signal but it 100% definitely was there.

The issue of the second SIM slot only supporting 2G is not unknown,
indeed it has been discussed on here several times. The fact that the
supplier fails to tell you that said slot will only support 2G is down
to poor training.


It's got nothing to do with the physical slot (on my phone, at any
rate). It's all down to which *SIM* is designated for data - and this
can be in either slot, it doesn't matter. So slot 1 can be 3G and slot 2
2G, or vice versa. But they can't *both* be 3G at the same time.


That's your phone - different phones behave in different ways (my
OnePlus 2 actually seems to do 4G in both slots without issue).


Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nokia 1101 more intelligent than I thought Scott[_3_] UK Mobile Phones 0 April 1st 11 11:15 AM
Is there a more expensive phone than this one? A million dollar phone (120 K in diamonds) [email protected] UK Mobile Phones 2 June 26th 06 03:49 AM
Grrrrrr! I thought I _knew_ which phone I wanted... Geoff Winkless UK Mobile Phones 2 August 22nd 05 02:05 PM
Cancelling BT mobile contact early - costs more than I thought murmansk69 UK Mobile Phones 3 May 16th 05 07:06 PM
Complicated question & advice Fitness Fiend UK Mobile Phones 7 September 2nd 03 06:08 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 Mobile Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about UK mobile phones"

 

Copyright © 2017