Old July 7th 17, 09:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Vodafone Secure Net

Vodafone propose to charge me 1 per month for Vodafone Secure Net. I
am wondering if this is this worth having. Details of what it
actually does are vague. A Google search shows a lot of discussion,
but mostly about Vodafone setting the service up without agreement.

As I am the sole user of the phone, I don't need to spend money to
stop sites I would not log on to anyway. The antivirus function is
attractive but is it better than just installing antivirus on the
phone?

Old July 11th 17, 09:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 07/07/2017 21:22, Scott wrote:
Vodafone propose to charge me £1 per month for Vodafone Secure Net. I
am wondering if this is this worth having. Details of what it
actually does are vague. A Google search shows a lot of discussion,
but mostly about Vodafone setting the service up without agreement.

As I am the sole user of the phone, I don't need to spend money to
stop sites I would not log on to anyway. The antivirus function is
attractive but is it better than just installing antivirus on the
phone?

I happened to learn today that you should be able to opt out of it.

--
Michael Chare

---

Old July 11th 17, 10:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 21:53:44 +0100, Michael Chare
wrote:

On 07/07/2017 21:22, Scott wrote:
Vodafone propose to charge me 1 per month for Vodafone Secure Net. I
am wondering if this is this worth having. Details of what it
actually does are vague. A Google search shows a lot of discussion,
but mostly about Vodafone setting the service up without agreement.

As I am the sole user of the phone, I don't need to spend money to
stop sites I would not log on to anyway. The antivirus function is
attractive but is it better than just installing antivirus on the
phone?

I happened to learn today that you should be able to opt out of it.

Thanks. I knew that already but my question was whether I *should*
opt out. As an afterthought, surely Vodafone need to keep their
servers clear of viruses anyway - whether I pay them or not - so what
added antivirus protection am I getting if I pay the 1?
Old July 12th 17, 07:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 11/07/2017 22:08, Scott wrote:
As an afterthought, surely Vodafone need to keep their
servers clear of viruses anyway - whether I pay them or not - so what
added antivirus protection am I getting if I pay the £1?

Because you are not just accessing their servers?
Old July 12th 17, 09:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
news
On 07/07/2017 21:22, Scott wrote:
Vodafone propose to charge me £1 per month for Vodafone Secure Net. I
am wondering if this is this worth having. Details of what it
actually does are vague. A Google search shows a lot of discussion,
but mostly about Vodafone setting the service up without agreement.

As I am the sole user of the phone, I don't need to spend money to
stop sites I would not log on to anyway. The antivirus function is
attractive but is it better than just installing antivirus on the
phone?

I happened to learn today that you should be able to opt out of it.

well of course you can opt out of something that you need to pay for

you just refuse to pay for it

tim

Old July 12th 17, 11:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

On 07/07/2017 21:22, Scott wrote:
Vodafone propose to charge me £1 per month for Vodafone Secure Net. I
am wondering if this is this worth having. Details of what it
actually does are vague. A Google search shows a lot of discussion,
but mostly about Vodafone setting the service up without agreement.

As I am the sole user of the phone, I don't need to spend money to
stop sites I would not log on to anyway. The antivirus function is
attractive but is it better than just installing antivirus on the
phone?

Can you establish which AV they are proposing to install?

I happened to learn today that you should be able to opt out of it.

Thanks. I knew that already but my question was whether I *should*
opt out. As an afterthought, surely Vodafone need to keep their
servers clear of viruses anyway - whether I pay them or not - so what
added antivirus protection am I getting if I pay the £1?

Surely this question must be answered in their FAQs if they want people
to take advantage of the new service they are offering.

I suspect nasty malware attacks against Android and Apple smart phones
are inevitable in the not too distant future so the question is really
just how good is the new protection that Vodophone are offering?

Be aware that typo squatting means that you are never more than a few
clicks of a keyboard away from really dodgy hostile clone sites.

Martin Brown
Old July 12th 17, 08:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 07:48:08 +0100, Someone Somewhere
wrote:

On 11/07/2017 22:08, Scott wrote:
As an afterthought, surely Vodafone need to keep their
servers clear of viruses anyway - whether I pay them or not - so what
added antivirus protection am I getting if I pay the 1?

Because you are not just accessing their servers?

Maybe my knowledge is lacking here, but how does a phone using the
Vodafone 4g network connect to the internet if not via a Vodafone
server?
Old July 13th 17, 07:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

On 11/07/2017 22:08, Scott wrote:
As an afterthought, surely Vodafone need to keep their
servers clear of viruses anyway - whether I pay them or not - so what
added antivirus protection am I getting if I pay the £1?

Because you are not just accessing their servers?

Maybe my knowledge is lacking here, but how does a phone using the
Vodafone 4g network connect to the internet if not via a Vodafone
server?

It may connect via Vodafone equipment, but it is arguable whether that
equipment can or should (and can't in the case on HTTPS) inspect
everything that transits over it.

If a driver commits a crime on the road is the Highways Agency somehow
liable for it?
Old July 13th 17, 04:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

On 11/07/2017 22:08, Scott wrote:
As an afterthought, surely Vodafone need to keep their
servers clear of viruses anyway - whether I pay them or not - so what
added antivirus protection am I getting if I pay the 1?

Because you are not just accessing their servers?

Maybe my knowledge is lacking here, but how does a phone using the
Vodafone 4g network connect to the internet if not via a Vodafone
server?

It may connect via Vodafone equipment, but it is arguable whether that
equipment can or should (and can't in the case on HTTPS) inspect
everything that transits over it.

If a driver commits a crime on the road is the Highways Agency somehow
liable for it?

That's irrelevant. I'm not asking about legal liability.

I am asking whether Vodafone has a business need to keep its
'equipment' clear of viruses and if so whether such virus protection
exists whether the customer opts in or out of Vodafone Secure Net.
Old July 13th 17, 04:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

[...]

Obviously they will do their level best to keep their own gear free from
viruses and trojans. They may also drop customer identified as having
botnet infected kit off the internet to prevent worms from spreading.

The data coming from a hostile website transits their network *as data
packets* it is only when reassembled on the right operating system with
the wrong sort of zero day exploit available that bad things happen.

Unix is better than windows in that respect but it is not entirely
immune. You could browse a badly chosen website that infects you with
malware without their machines being any the wiser.

Martin Brown