Old August 10th 17, 09:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Looking for a 3G 'feature phone' - what's good?

Tony Mountifield wrote:
In article , Chris Green wrote:
Do you have a particular reason for not wanting a smart phone?

Yes, I find them a real pain for actually making (and receiving) phone
calls.

I found the Moto G to have acceptable battery life on standby but
nowhere near a dumb Nokia (it would be longer if I didn't run a
pedometer app).

I have a Moto G, it's my current phone. It's nice in many ways but, as
I said, it's a total pain when trying to answer a phone call.
Recently, I think because I had wet hands, it was totally impossible
to answer a call.

Needing to 'swipe' is often a total impossibility, I need a phone
where pressing a button answers a call.

On my Samsung S4, there is a configuration option where the home button
can be used to answer a call and the power button will hang up.

I think it's a Samsung customisation, I've seen references to this
elsewhere but it's always on Samsung (in Settings somewhere).

--
Chris Green
·

Old August 11th 17, 08:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 10/08/2017 10:46, Chris Green wrote:
Tony Mountifield wrote:
[...]

My Sony Xperia Z5 Compact has smart call handling. You can set it so it
answers calls when you hold it to your ear, shake to reject, turn over
to silence.. Must admit I never tried it...

Dave
Old August 11th 17, 09:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Tony Mountifield wrote:
[...]

That's quite easy to get apps for too, however I'd really prefer
something intermediate, like a way to answer a call by some sort of
physical contact with the phone.

--
Chris Green
·
Old August 12th 17, 06:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In article , Chris Green
scribeth thus
Rob Morley wrote:
On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 14:37:21 +0100
Chris Green wrote:

I have a Moto G, it's my current phone. It's nice in many ways but, as
I said, it's a total pain when trying to answer a phone call.
Recently, I think because I had wet hands, it was totally impossible
to answer a call.

BTDT

Needing to 'swipe' is often a total impossibility, I need a phone
where pressing a button answers a call.

There's an app called Smart Answer Call that allows various methods
instead of swiping, including shake-to-answer - I've not tried it yet,
but it sounds like a great idea.

There are quite a few apps like that but they all seem to go rather
OTT and make it so you don't have to touch the phone at all to answer
or at the most you just shake it. There seems nothing to provide a
button press (virtual or actual) to answer the call.

Got a Moto 3G here had it for a couple of years now, works fine no
problem answering call's taking pix and videos. Tough much better and
more robust than anything that crapple produce.

I see you can get them sub 100 quid these days. Can't recommend the 3
network tho, much better coverage on EE and Vodafone.
--
Tony Sayer

Old August 14th 17, 01:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 09/08/2017 16:19, Roger Mills wrote:
On 09/08/2017 12:59, Chris Green wrote:
I'm after a reasonably simple phone for use on the Three network.
I.e. I want a phone with a physical number keypad and 3G capability.

One of the major features I'm after is a long stand-by time.
Nice to have would be WiFi and a memory card slot but they're not
vital.

There's not much out there that I can find, Doro 5516 and Alcatel 2045
seem to be the front runners, any opinions on these (or others) would
be very welcome.

I've still got a '3' (Amoi) S2 "Skypephone" which does most of what you
want - but not WiFi. It no longer works with Skype, of course, but it's
fine for making and receiving calls. It definitely works on the '3'
network.

*And* the battery lasts for a very long time - particularly when it's
turned off!

You may still be able to pick 'em up on Ebay, etc.

I keep mine for emergency use in case my Moto G "smart" phone plays
silly B's!

It would help to know what you actually want to do with it apart from
answer calls with a physical button (which you could probably achieve
using some kind of USB attachment - maybe a rocket launch button with a
nice plastic cover to prevent misuse?).

You mention wifi and a memory card, but what would you do with them? Do
you need a webbrowser and apps etc?

Old August 16th 17, 05:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

How about the
"Doro 6050", search online.

No experience of it myself and looks expensive.

Martin Nicholas.

E-mail: