Old August 9th 17, 11:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Looking for a 3G 'feature phone' - what's good?

I'm after a reasonably simple phone for use on the Three network.
I.e. I want a phone with a physical number keypad and 3G capability.

One of the major features I'm after is a long stand-by time.
Nice to have would be WiFi and a memory card slot but they're not
vital.

There's not much out there that I can find, Doro 5516 and Alcatel 2045
seem to be the front runners, any opinions on these (or others) would
be very welcome.

--
Chris Green
·

Old August 9th 17, 12:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 09/08/2017 12:59, Chris Green wrote:
I'm after a reasonably simple phone for use on the Three network.
I.e. I want a phone with a physical number keypad and 3G capability.

One of the major features I'm after is a long stand-by time.

How long is "long" in this context?

And perhaps more importantly what is the signal level of Three like
where you live or the phone spends most time?

BTW Be wary of claims for 3Gness of keyboard based phones - check the
Amazon reviews and you will find plenty of allegedly "3G" phones that
will not work with a purely 3G network like Three.

Nice to have would be WiFi and a memory card slot but they're not
vital.

There's not much out there that I can find, Doro 5516 and Alcatel 2045
seem to be the front runners, any opinions on these (or others) would
be very welcome.

Do you have a particular reason for not wanting a smart phone?

I found the Moto G to have acceptable battery life on standby but
nowhere near a dumb Nokia (it would be longer if I didn't run a
pedometer app).

Martin Brown
Old August 9th 17, 01:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Martin Brown wrote:
On 09/08/2017 12:59, Chris Green wrote:
I'm after a reasonably simple phone for use on the Three network.
I.e. I want a phone with a physical number keypad and 3G capability.

One of the major features I'm after is a long stand-by time.

How long is "long" in this context?

Well. a few days, I'm not expecting a week.

And perhaps more importantly what is the signal level of Three like
where you live or the phone spends most time?

Poor, but I'll probably turn it off when I'm at home.

BTW Be wary of claims for 3Gness of keyboard based phones - check the
Amazon reviews and you will find plenty of allegedly "3G" phones that
will not work with a purely 3G network like Three.

Nice to have would be WiFi and a memory card slot but they're not
vital.

There's not much out there that I can find, Doro 5516 and Alcatel 2045
seem to be the front runners, any opinions on these (or others) would
be very welcome.

Do you have a particular reason for not wanting a smart phone?

Yes, I find them a real pain for actually making (and receiving) phone
calls.

I found the Moto G to have acceptable battery life on standby but
nowhere near a dumb Nokia (it would be longer if I didn't run a
pedometer app).

I have a Moto G, it's my current phone. It's nice in many ways but, as
I said, it's a total pain when trying to answer a phone call.
Recently, I think because I had wet hands, it was totally impossible
to answer a call.

Needing to 'swipe' is often a total impossibility, I need a phone
where pressing a button answers a call.

--
Chris Green
·
Old August 9th 17, 02:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 09/08/2017 14:37, Chris Green wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:
On 09/08/2017 12:59, Chris Green wrote:
I'm after a reasonably simple phone for use on the Three network.
I.e. I want a phone with a physical number keypad and 3G capability.

One of the major features I'm after is a long stand-by time.

How long is "long" in this context?

Well. a few days, I'm not expecting a week.

I think you should aim for about a week.

And perhaps more importantly what is the signal level of Three like
where you live or the phone spends most time?

Poor, but I'll probably turn it off when I'm at home.

That's a problem. They waste a lot of power doing ET phone home.

BTW Be wary of claims for 3Gness of keyboard based phones - check the
Amazon reviews and you will find plenty of allegedly "3G" phones that
will not work with a purely 3G network like Three.

Nice to have would be WiFi and a memory card slot but they're not
vital.

There's not much out there that I can find, Doro 5516 and Alcatel 2045
seem to be the front runners, any opinions on these (or others) would
be very welcome.

Do you have a particular reason for not wanting a smart phone?

Yes, I find them a real pain for actually making (and receiving) phone
calls.

Odd. I find it handy that most frequent/recent contacts are on the home
page and returning calls is easy. To each their own I suppose.

I found the Moto G to have acceptable battery life on standby but
nowhere near a dumb Nokia (it would be longer if I didn't run a
pedometer app).

I have a Moto G, it's my current phone. It's nice in many ways but, as
I said, it's a total pain when trying to answer a phone call.
Recently, I think because I had wet hands, it was totally impossible
to answer a call.

Needing to 'swipe' is often a total impossibility, I need a phone
where pressing a button answers a call.

It is OK if you have both hands free.

I have thrown mine in the air a couple of times trying to answer it in a
hurry and it has the scars to prove it - although gorilla glass survives
most falls quite well unlike iPads where the screen inevitably shatters.

Martin Brown
Old August 9th 17, 02:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Martin Brown wrote:
I have a Moto G, it's my current phone. It's nice in many ways but, as
I said, it's a total pain when trying to answer a phone call.
Recently, I think because I had wet hands, it was totally impossible
to answer a call.

Needing to 'swipe' is often a total impossibility, I need a phone
where pressing a button answers a call.

It is OK if you have both hands free.

I have thrown mine in the air a couple of times trying to answer it in a
hurry and it has the scars to prove it - although gorilla glass survives
most falls quite well unlike iPads where the screen inevitably shatters.

Exactly! You have stated the problem, it's a phone and the one thing
you can't do with it easily is answer a phone call!

--
Chris Green
·

Old August 9th 17, 02:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 14:37:21 +0100
Chris Green wrote:

I have a Moto G, it's my current phone. It's nice in many ways but, as
I said, it's a total pain when trying to answer a phone call.
Recently, I think because I had wet hands, it was totally impossible
to answer a call.

BTDT

Needing to 'swipe' is often a total impossibility, I need a phone
where pressing a button answers a call.

There's an app called Smart Answer Call that allows various methods
instead of swiping, including shake-to-answer - I've not tried it yet,
but it sounds like a great idea.

Old August 9th 17, 03:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 09/08/2017 12:59, Chris Green wrote:
I'm after a reasonably simple phone for use on the Three network.
I.e. I want a phone with a physical number keypad and 3G capability.

One of the major features I'm after is a long stand-by time.
Nice to have would be WiFi and a memory card slot but they're not
vital.

There's not much out there that I can find, Doro 5516 and Alcatel 2045
seem to be the front runners, any opinions on these (or others) would
be very welcome.

I've still got a '3' (Amoi) S2 "Skypephone" which does most of what you
want - but not WiFi. It no longer works with Skype, of course, but it's
fine for making and receiving calls. It definitely works on the '3' network.

*And* the battery lasts for a very long time - particularly when it's
turned off!

You may still be able to pick 'em up on Ebay, etc.

I keep mine for emergency use in case my Moto G "smart" phone plays
silly B's!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old August 9th 17, 03:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Rob Morley wrote:
On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 14:37:21 +0100
Chris Green wrote:

I have a Moto G, it's my current phone. It's nice in many ways but, as
I said, it's a total pain when trying to answer a phone call.
Recently, I think because I had wet hands, it was totally impossible
to answer a call.

BTDT

Needing to 'swipe' is often a total impossibility, I need a phone
where pressing a button answers a call.

There's an app called Smart Answer Call that allows various methods
instead of swiping, including shake-to-answer - I've not tried it yet,
but it sounds like a great idea.

There are quite a few apps like that but they all seem to go rather
OTT and make it so you don't have to touch the phone at all to answer
or at the most you just shake it. There seems nothing to provide a
button press (virtual or actual) to answer the call.

--
Chris Green
·
Old August 9th 17, 05:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Chris Green" wrote in message
I'm after a reasonably simple phone for use on the Three network.
I.e. I want a phone with a physical number keypad and 3G capability.

One of the major features I'm after is a long stand-by time.
Nice to have would be WiFi and a memory card slot but they're not
vital.

There's not much out there that I can find, Doro 5516 and Alcatel
2045
seem to be the front runners, any opinions on these (or others)
would
be very welcome.

--

The Doro basic clam phone model 6520 does 3G. In terms of a phone they
take some beating - fairly rugged, long battery life,superb audio (and

My wife and her 91 y.o.father have had the 612 (non-3G) for a couple
of years and they have been consistently reliable, easy to use, and
have an amazing battery life. I cannot recommend them enough.

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old August 10th 17, 08:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In article , Chris Green wrote:
Do you have a particular reason for not wanting a smart phone?

Yes, I find them a real pain for actually making (and receiving) phone
calls.

I found the Moto G to have acceptable battery life on standby but
nowhere near a dumb Nokia (it would be longer if I didn't run a
pedometer app).

I have a Moto G, it's my current phone. It's nice in many ways but, as
I said, it's a total pain when trying to answer a phone call.
Recently, I think because I had wet hands, it was totally impossible
to answer a call.

Needing to 'swipe' is often a total impossibility, I need a phone
where pressing a button answers a call.

On my Samsung S4, there is a configuration option where the home button
can be used to answer a call and the power button will hang up.

Battery life is only a day and a half though, less when in an area
with poor signal and mobile data enabled.

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield