Old October 8th 17, 08:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Three "Feel at Home" from abroad to abroad

We have two phones on Three both of which can use "Feel at Home".

The Three web site is explicit about "Feel at Home" in Europe where it
says that one can call from one phone to another while both are in
Europe and get the 'as at home' rates.

However it *doesn't* make this explicit for 'not in Europe', all it
says is calls back to the UK are at 'as at home' rates.

During the next few weeks I will (at times) be in France while my wife
is in Austalia. Does anyone know if we get the 'as at home' rates
when we call each other?

--
Chris Green
·

Old October 8th 17, 11:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Sunday, 8 October 2017 09:48:05 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
We have two phones on Three both of which can use "Feel at Home".

The Three web site is explicit about "Feel at Home" in Europe where it
says that one can call from one phone to another while both are in
Europe and get the 'as at home' rates.

However it *doesn't* make this explicit for 'not in Europe', all it
says is calls back to the UK are at 'as at home' rates.

During the next few weeks I will (at times) be in France while my wife
is in Austalia. Does anyone know if we get the 'as at home' rates
when we call each other?

--
Chris Green
·

You will be calling a UK number, so you will.

The call to / from Oz will be at whatever rate 3 charge for that.

You could always set up VOIP.
Old October 8th 17, 12:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Sunday, 8 October 2017 09:48:05 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
We have two phones on Three both of which can use "Feel at Home".

The Three web site is explicit about "Feel at Home" in Europe where it
says that one can call from one phone to another while both are in
Europe and get the 'as at home' rates.

However it *doesn't* make this explicit for 'not in Europe', all it
says is calls back to the UK are at 'as at home' rates.

During the next few weeks I will (at times) be in France while my wife
is in Austalia. Does anyone know if we get the 'as at home' rates
when we call each other?

--
Chris Green
·

You will be calling a UK number, so you will.

The call to / from Oz will be at whatever rate 3 charge for that.

Ay? I'm confused, the above two lines seem to say two different things.

"You will be calling a UK number, so you will." - seems to be saying
that as we're calling UK (mobile) numbers we will get the "Feel at
Home" rates.

.... but then "The call to / from Oz will be at whatever rate 3 charge
for that.", what do you mean here?

You could always set up VOIP.

Yes, though that depends on having a reasonably good internet
connection.

--
Chris Green
·
Old October 8th 17, 01:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 08/10/2017 09:35, Chris Green wrote:
We have two phones on Three both of which can use "Feel at Home".

The Three web site is explicit about "Feel at Home" in Europe where it
says that one can call from one phone to another while both are in
Europe and get the 'as at home' rates.

However it *doesn't* make this explicit for 'not in Europe', all it
says is calls back to the UK are at 'as at home' rates.

During the next few weeks I will (at times) be in France while my wife
is in Australia. Does anyone know if we get the 'as at home' rates
when we call each other?

Since you both have UK phones, when you ring each other you will be
deemed to be making calls to the UK - even if you physically receive
them somewhere else where you can roam for free. Since France and
Australia are both 'feel at home' countries, you should be OK calling
each other.

But, whereas calls within Europe are covered by the Europe-wide roaming
agreement, this doesn't apply in Australia. So, if your wife calls an
Australian landline (say) rather than calling you, it will cost her an
arm and a leg. If she wants to make a lot of calls *within* Australia,
it would pay her to get an Australian SIM. [I've done this; come back if
you want chapter and verse].
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old October 9th 17, 09:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Sunday, 8 October 2017 13:16:04 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
R. Mark Clayton wrote:
[...]

Slight ambiguity - you [singular] will be in France and will be calling a UK mobile number, so you [singular] will get "at home rates" when ringing out and presumably not be charged for incoming calls from UK numbers.

... but then "The call to / from Oz will be at whatever rate 3 charge
for that.", what do you mean here?

What charges your wife [in Australia] will get will depend on what rate 3 charges for calls between Oz and the UK when the mobile is in Oz.

So does "at home" include Oz or only the EU (where the EU has made them do it - well till 29/3/2019 anyway).

You could always set up VOIP.

Yes, though that depends on having a reasonably good internet
connection.

You get them here even on the bus!

--
Chris Green
·

Old October 9th 17, 10:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 09/10/2017 10:48, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

... but then "The call to / from Oz will be at whatever rate 3 charge
for that.", what do you mean here?

What charges your wife [in Australia] will get will depend on what rate 3 charges for calls between Oz and the UK when the mobile is in Oz.

So does "at home" include Oz or only the EU (where the EU has made them do it - well till 29/3/2019 anyway).

If you're going to bother to comment, you may as well do a quick Google
search which gives:
http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-...=Ex t(EM38751)

So, yes, Australia is covered assuming you have an advanced (not
essential) plan that includes Feel at Home Around the World (I think all
advanced plans include this).

Receiving calls/text is free and data usage and calls come out of your
usual allowance.

So calling a Three UK mobile (with an Advanced plan) in France from a
Three UK mobile (with an Advanced plan) in Australia costs the same as
doing so from Felixstowe to Aldershot.
Old October 9th 17, 08:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

... but then "The call to / from Oz will be at whatever rate 3 charge
for that.", what do you mean here?

What charges your wife [in Australia] will get will depend on what rate
3 charges for calls between Oz and the UK when the mobile is in Oz.

So does "at home" include Oz or only the EU (where the EU has made them
do it - well till 29/3/2019 anyway).

Yes, Australia is included in "Like at home".

--
Chris Green
·
Old October 9th 17, 11:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 08/10/17 13:13, Chris Green wrote:
R. Mark Clayton wrote:
You could always set up VOIP.

Yes, though that depends on having a reasonably good internet
connection.

[snip]

Or a decent wi-fi link. I use CSipSimple for my Sipgate accounts and it
works well on most public hotspots. Uses a bit of battery on my Samsung
S4 mini if you set up permanent receive capability though, but still usable.

Old October 10th 17, 06:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

news
R. Mark Clayton wrote:
You could always set up VOIP.

Yes, though that depends on having a reasonably good internet
connection.

[snip]

Or a decent wi-fi link. I use CSipSimple for my Sipgate accounts and
it works well on most public hotspots. Uses a bit of battery on my
Samsung S4 mini if you set up permanent receive capability though,
but still usable.

+1

I use Sipdroid as well but CSipSimple seems to connect when others
cannot.

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com