Old December 2nd 17, 06:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default French mifi problem

I've got family over from France and they've brought a mifi with them as
the accommodation they're staying at doesn't have internet. Problem is it
isn't working.

It's a Hauwei E5573B branded "Orange Airbox".

The main issue is that I can't change anything on the mifi on 192.168.1.1
as it isn't responding to the admin/admin username/password combination.
The interface shows the network as EE (which is good), but also as
disconnected (bad). If I try and toggle the connection it pops me back to
the username/password login window which I duly fill in yet nothing
changes.

Anyone have any experience of this mifi kit and how it is possible to alter
settings? I've tried a factory reset, with no change in behaviour.

TIA

Old December 2nd 17, 07:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Chris" wrote in message
news

[...]

Google is your friend.

For a start it is an offence in France to lock cellular items to one
system, so it should be unlocked already - just try a UK SIM in it.
The start-up display will not change but if it is unlocked it will log
on to whatever system the SIM belongs to. It may of course be that
your friends forgot to tell Orange F that they wanted to use it
outside France and as such their system will not let it connect.

Otherwise, with a bent-out paper clip and with the unit turned on,
press and hold the reset button for about 10 seconds, then turn the
unit off and back on again and it should have reset to default.

Plug your laptop into the unit and go run/cmd and type 'ipconfig /all'
and it will show the mifi address as 'Default gateway' - it may not be
what you expect. Now enter this address into your browser and the
internal web server should come up - U/N and P/W are both 'admin' in
lower case.

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old December 2nd 17, 08:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Woody wrote:

"Chris" wrote in message
news

[...]

I don't think it's locked. As I said, it appears to be recognising the EE
network, but isn't connecting. All lights on the unit are green.

One thought I have is, that they haven't enabled EU data roaming on their
account. It's not working either on their phone.

Otherwise, with a bent-out paper clip and with the unit turned on,
press and hold the reset button for about 10 seconds, then turn the
unit off and back on again and it should have reset to default.

Done that. No joy.

Plug your laptop into the unit and go run/cmd and type 'ipconfig /all'
and it will show the mifi address as 'Default gateway' - it may not be
what you expect. Now enter this address into your browser and the
internal web server should come up - U/N and P/W are both 'admin' in
lower case.

Yes. That's what I'm seeing. if try to reach any web page e.g. bbc.co.uk it
redirects to 192.168.1.1 - I'm not convinced the "admin" password is
working as any input in the box takes me to the interface with no errors.

Old December 5th 17, 10:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 02/12/2017 20:04, Chris wrote:
Woody wrote:

"Chris" wrote in message
news

[...]

£1/£10 PAYG EE SIM from your nearest supermarket/Poundshop.

Plug your laptop into the unit and go run/cmd and type 'ipconfig /all'
and it will show the mifi address as 'Default gateway' - it may not be
what you expect. Now enter this address into your browser and the
internal web server should come up - U/N and P/W are both 'admin' in
lower case.

Yes. That's what I'm seeing. if try to reach any web page e.g. bbc.co.uk it
redirects to 192.168.1.1 - I'm not convinced the "admin" password is
working as any input in the box takes me to the interface with no errors.

Sounds like it is behaving as if there is no credit on the account.

USB connection to the PC might allow you a bit more leeway with
passwords if they have been forgotten. I use an unlocked Hauwei for my
sacrificial SIMs for internet on the move (beyond contract allowance).

Martin Brown
Old December 7th 17, 08:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Martin Brown wrote:
On 02/12/2017 20:04, Chris wrote:
Woody wrote:

"Chris" wrote in message
news
[...]

Already done that with my mifi to get them online.

Plug your laptop into the unit and go run/cmd and type 'ipconfig /all'
and it will show the mifi address as 'Default gateway' - it may not be
what you expect. Now enter this address into your browser and the
internal web server should come up - U/N and P/W are both 'admin' in
lower case.

Yes. That's what I'm seeing. if try to reach any web page e.g. bbc.co.uk it
redirects to 192.168.1.1 - I'm not convinced the "admin" password is
working as any input in the box takes me to the interface with no errors.

Sounds like it is behaving as if there is no credit on the account.

Indeed. Except they're on contact with 30GB of data, practically none of it
used.

Old December 8th 17, 07:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 07/12/2017 08:07, chris wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:
On 02/12/2017 20:04, Chris wrote:
Woody wrote:

"Chris" wrote in message
news
[...]

I suspect then that they have disabled roaming on their account (or
never enabled it). Does the control page not have an option to cinfigure
the account settings? Usually in this situation the only thing you can
do is browse the ISPs own "configure your device " website pages.

If they have a smartphone that may be easier to set to be a Mifi
provider. I only use my Mifi when travelling if I have burnt through all
the free contract GB on the phone(s).

Martin Brown