Old January 19th 18, 10:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Mobile in Prisons

On 19/01/2018 10:10, Martin Brown wrote:
As ever in Britain the law is a complete ass. It is illegal to use them
but *not* illegal to sell them openly to the public:

Lots of things are illegal for the public to use but can be used by
authorised users like police etc. And quite likely the intelligence and
security agencies can do even more.

Old January 19th 18, 10:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Tim+" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

It wasn’t a message directed to your phone, it was just a loudspeaker on
the box on the wall.

so was probably just programmed to make the announcement randomly

tim

Old January 19th 18, 10:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 19/01/2018 10:13, Martin Brown wrote:
It doesn't take much of a gap to let signal in.

Serious Faraday cages have beryllium copper strips on the door seal to
make sure that it makes good electrical contact and there are no leaks.
You have to test it from time to time or things deteriorate with wear.

I know a few buildings which are close to de facto Faraday cages in the
deep interior because of their method of construction.

Some of the filtering at a serious screened site.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/doffco...7648064570213/

Contact fingering all around the outer doors.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/doffco...7648064570213/

I think this was the filtering on what was probably a SCIF in the USMC
SEAL area at Machrihanish

https://www.flickr.com/photos/doffco...7659143999236/

Old January 19th 18, 12:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Thursday, 18 January 2018 18:56:49 UTC, Tweed wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
Tweed wrote:

It is constantly reported in the media that there is a problem with
smuggled mobile phones in prisons. Why is it not possible to render them
useless by a series of pico cells that connect to nothing? A local cell
with a stronger signal strength is going to capture the mobile. The pico
cells can emulate all the networks, as it is HMG that is running this and
they can pass legislation to exempt themselves from spoofing the genuine
networks. It is often argued that this will affect people nearby but
outside of the prison, but with a suitable number of low power pico cells
it should be possible tightly define the coverage area. Am I being a
conspiracy theorist in thinking that this is already done, but the cells
connect to the phone network via an intercept, and are a useful source of
intelligence?

It's too obviously simple. The powers that be simply don't understand
simple engineering solutions to things like this. Even a Faraday cage
wouldn't be all that difficult surely, when prisoners are outside you
can *see* what they're doing so just screen their rooms and indoor
areas.

Faraday cages are harder than you might imagine. I’ve used a mobile phone
inside a steel 20 foot shipping container with the doors shut. Go figure....

Likewise in a stainless steel lift in the Barbican, I couldn't work out how I was getting signal.

The basic issue is the appalling way phone calls are managed in prison. Prisoners naturally want to phone their families and keep in touch, but it is made very difficult for them. This creates a trade in 'illegal' mobiles, which also benefits serious criminals who can use them to make unscreened calls to their partners in crime...
Old January 19th 18, 12:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
news
On 19/01/2018 09:59, Clive Page wrote:
On 18/01/2018 18:56, Tweed wrote:

Faraday cages are harder than you might imagine. I’ve used a mobile
phone
inside a steel 20 foot shipping container with the doors shut. Go
figure...

Indeed. A couple of times recently I've been surprised when somebody got
in a lift with me. The lift had apparently metal floor and ceiling and
all metal walls. I expected that mobile phones simply wouldn't work in
there, but apparently not, as the people carried on chatting as if they
were they were in the open air.

It doesn't take much of a gap to let signal in.

Serious Faraday cages have beryllium copper strips on the door seal to
make sure that it makes good electrical contact and there are no leaks.
You have to test it from time to time or things deteriorate with wear.

I know a few buildings which are close to de facto Faraday cages in the
deep interior because of their method of construction.

It's quite common not to get a signal inside many of the shops in Canterbury

Not a place that I go to often but a right PITA when I do

tim

Old January 19th 18, 02:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 19/01/2018 12:21, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
Likewise in a stainless steel lift in the Barbican, I couldn't work out how I was getting signal.

The basic issue is the appalling way phone calls are managed in prison. Prisoners naturally want to phone their families and keep in touch, but it is made very difficult for them. This creates a trade in 'illegal' mobiles, which also benefits serious criminals who can use them to make unscreened calls to their partners in crime...

I believe they are allowed to make calls from a payphone but only to
certain numbers and calls are monitored.

Old January 19th 18, 03:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Tim+" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

It wasnt a message directed to your phone, it was just a loudspeaker on
the box on the wall.

so was probably just programmed to make the announcement randomly

tim

Indeed, or a jobsworth security guard spotting you on CCTV.

The mobile phone ban in hospitals was as much to protect the revenue
of Patiantline than anything else.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old January 19th 18, 03:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 19/01/2018 09:30, Andy Burns wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

There are devices that can actively block mobile phone
use but they are illegal to use in the UK and HMG can't break the law...

But they can change the law...

There are only a handful of scientists and engineers in parliament.
The rest are bean counters, lawyers and worst of all career politicians.

As ever in Britain the law is a complete ass. It is illegal to use them
but *not* illegal to sell them openly to the public:

http://www.cellphonejammers.co.uk/pr...?id_product=46

The same problem arose with CB radio totally trashing the 27MHz radio
controlled model band where people in the UK had paid for licenses.

Apart from the .co.uk domain, I see nothing on that site to suggest
it's UK based, or even exists at all as a legitimate business.

I'm doing a pretend transaction and it's currently asking for my CC
number and "issuing bank" on an unencrypted http:// page
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old January 19th 18, 03:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

tim... wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

It wasn’t a message directed to your phone, it was just a loudspeaker on
the box on the wall.

so was probably just programmed to make the announcement randomly

tim

Wouldn’t have needed an aerial to do that. No, I’m pretty sure it could
detect a switched on handset.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old January 19th 18, 03:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Friday, 19 January 2018 15:22:37 UTC, Graham. wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

It wasn’t a message directed to your phone, it was just a loudspeaker on
the box on the wall.

so was probably just programmed to make the announcement randomly

tim

Indeed, or a jobsworth security guard spotting you on CCTV.

The mobile phone ban in hospitals was as much to protect the revenue
of Patiantline than anything else.
--

Graham.

Mostly, but I got a hell of a bo**ocking of a patient loomed up in ITU when I forgot to turn mine off and it rang.

As you will have noticed mobiles interfere with TV's and PC's and certainly with the high impedance low voltage sensors used for electrocardiography!

In wards where it does not matter the staff usually turn a blind eye or encourage mobile use. In the event out calls to land lines are free, so when I was briefly in hospital, I rang everyone back.