Old October 11th 18, 08:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Mobile in Prisons

On 11/10/2018 17:13, Tweed wrote:
I suspect that the cellular networks are required to provide intercept
capability at their switches. I also suspect they are not allowed to talk
about it either. Certainly in the early days of digital exchanges it was a
requirement on BT, and I very much doubt HMG will have let this drop or be
bypassed by the cellular networks. Intercept at the air interface is as
unlikely as a bloke using a headset and a pair of croc clips on a landline.
It’s probably also very easy for them to get a court order to intercept
traffic they suspect is coming from a prison, assuming such legal niceities
bother them.

But legislation about interception has been tightened up a lot since
then, mainly because of tabloids like the Mirror and Guardian hacking phone.

I am sure some do circumvent the rules but they will be taking a big risk.

Old October 12th 18, 09:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

MB wrote:
[...]

https://publications.parliament.uk/p...#pt1-pb3-l1g21

See 21 6 b. I’m not sure if this is law yet.