Old February 24th 18, 05:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default wifi calling

IDmobile have just informed my that wifi calling is now available, which is
great. However, it doesn't work abroad. Is there any technical
justification for this? Surely it doesn't matter where in the world the
Wi-Fi is.

Old February 24th 18, 06:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Chris" wrote in message
news

IDmobile have just informed my that wifi calling is now available,
which is
great. However, it doesn't work abroad. Is there any technical
justification for this? Surely it doesn't matter where in the world
the
Wi-Fi is.

Wi-fi calling - or Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) - will work in
the UK as it is using ID's infrastructure to connect, but overseas
operators will not recognise it as you will be using an IP address
that is internal to the ID system (a.k.a. 3). Most SP VoIP apps (BT
ESPECIALLY!) take your phone over which is a nuisance.

If you want to use VoIP properly get an account with one of the VoIP
SPs such as Sipgate or DiscountVoIP. You can then download CSPSimple
which is a free VoIP app for your Android phone or Zoiper for an
iPhone, set it up (Sipgate have a wealth of detail on their web site
once you have logged in) and away you go. Wherever you are on a wi-fi
network you just start the app and if it shows as registered you can
make calls (assuming you have credit in your account) for (Sipgate)
about 1p a minute to UK numbers and 2p for international. As far as
the system is concerned you are calling from the UK and it will
display your UK CLI. Sipgate to Sipgate calls are free everywhere, and
with either a network-connected phone or with a domestic phone in an
analogue telephone adapter you can use VoIP over your domestic
Internet connection to give you an extra line. Sipgate does not
recognise any difference between VoIP on a broadband connection and
VoIP via a VoIP app on a mobile.

I say 'if' it registers as sometimes it is blocked. For instance in
French towns you will often find free wi-fi advertised (around the
Mairie's office is very common) but the 'free' service is actually
provided by Orange France and as they will loose revenue if you make
VoIP calls they block the ports that VoIP uses. This also applies IME
to many restaurants but not McD's and usually not the Tourist
Infromation Office.

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old February 24th 18, 06:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.voip

[...]

Information Office.

I would add that if you want to learn more about it you should try
uk.telecom.voip where I have also cross posted this reply.

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old February 24th 18, 06:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.voip

"Woody" wrote in message
news

[...]

Tourist Information Office.

I would add that if you want to learn more about it you should try
uk.telecom.voip where I have also cross posted this reply.

I should also have added that Sipgate will give you a UK phone number
as soon as you register with them on which you can receive incoming
calls from anywhere/anyone and can make outgoing calls to any other
Sipgate user anywhere with zero credit on your account.

They will also supply a pre-configured copy of X-Phone, a free Windoze
phone programme that works with a headset/mic plugged into you
computer so you don't even need a phone!

Otherwise look on fleabay for an ATA such as a Cisco PAPT2 or a Sipura
SPA200 or SPA300 series, or any SIPphone (that is what they are known
as) so long as you are brave enough to sit down for an hour or so and
configure them! (It isn't difficult and there is shed loads of help on
line.)

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old February 24th 18, 08:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 19:14:49 +0000, Woody wrote:

"Chris" wrote in message
news

IDmobile have just informed my that wifi calling is now available,
which is great. However, it doesn't work abroad. Is there any technical
justification for this? Surely it doesn't matter where in the world the
Wi-Fi is.

Wi-fi calling - or Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) - will work in
the UK as it is using ID's infrastructure to connect, but overseas
operators will not recognise it as you will be using an IP address that
is internal to the ID system (a.k.a. 3). Most SP VoIP apps (BT
ESPECIALLY!) take your phone over which is a nuisance.

If you want to use VoIP properly get an account with one of the VoIP SPs
such as Sipgate or DiscountVoIP. You can then download CSPSimple which
is a free VoIP app for your Android phone or Zoiper for an iPhone,

Or Zoiper for Android, which I prefer to CSIPSimple.

Old February 24th 18, 10:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.voip

Woody wrote:

news

Thanks for all the info.

Old February 25th 18, 10:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 24/02/2018 19:14, Woody wrote:
"Chris" wrote in message
news

IDmobile have just informed my that wifi calling is now available,
which is
great. However, it doesn't work abroad. Is there any technical
justification for this? Surely it doesn't matter where in the world
the
Wi-Fi is.

Wi-fi calling - or Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) - will work in
the UK as it is using ID's infrastructure to connect, but overseas
operators will not recognise it as you will be using an IP address
that is internal to the ID system (a.k.a. 3). Most SP VoIP apps (BT
ESPECIALLY!) take your phone over which is a nuisance.

explains a lot

If you want to use VoIP properly

I don't, and I suspect many others don't. But its usefull to be able to
receive calls at home, in doors, where the 3g signal is poor at times.

[...]

again this makes real voip on the mobile pointless. I usually only want
to call other UK mobiles or local mobiles and at present those come out
of my free mobile numbers. It would be nice to have a Spanish VOIP
number but as far as I can tell every one who offers incoming VOIP to a
spanish number wants a good amount of cash..

I say 'if' it registers as sometimes it is blocked. For instance in
French towns you will often find free wi-fi advertised (around the
Mairie's office is very common) but the 'free' service is actually
provided by Orange France and as they will loose revenue if you make
VoIP calls they block the ports that VoIP uses. This also applies IME
to many restaurants but not McD's and usually not the Tourist
Infromation Office.

In Spain the free WiFi is often too slow for voip..

Dave
Old February 25th 18, 10:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Saturday, 24 February 2018 18:01:45 UTC, Chris wrote:
IDmobile have just informed my that wifi calling is now available, which is
great. However, it doesn't work abroad. Is there any technical
justification for this? Surely it doesn't matter where in the world the
Wi-Fi is.

It shouldn't, except in places, like say China, where it may be state disabled.

Certainly regular VOIP works abroad, we got a key worker up and running in Ireland on VOIP in under 24 hours over ten years ago.
Old February 25th 18, 10:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 19:14:49 +0000, Woody wrote:

"Chris" wrote in message
news

[...]

My very limited experience of Zoiper on an iPhone is that it seems to
want to be active at all times and is a beggar to switch on an off.
CSPSimple (or Sipdroid for that matter) can be switched on an off as
required very easily.

For the record, whilst I like Sipdroid as it is both easy to use and
to set up it sometimes doesn't always connect or make calls correctly
where CSPSimple works pretty well every time.

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old February 25th 18, 04:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Woody wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 19:14:49 +0000, Woody wrote:

"Chris" wrote in message
news

[...]

I've been using mobileVOIP on an iPhone on my current trip. It worked every
time.