Old May 18th 18, 08:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Connectivity and phone masts

Java Jive wrote:
On 18/05/2018 09:19, Chris wrote:

Nope. It's actually quite close to the truth. All research councils who
fund uk science have themes (e.g. Climate change) they wish to support. In
order to get funding your proposal must match one or more of the themes. If
it doesn't you can guarantee you won't get funded. Thus you need to make
your area of interest fit fundable themes.

Funding rates are at 20% so you need use every opportunity to get the
funding.

I note that you don't link to any documentation supporting your
assertion, so it's clear that you're just peddling a stereotype.

I'm talking on the basis of 15 years of experience.

https://epsrc.ukri.org/funding/calls/
https://bbsrc.ukri.org/research/food-security/
https://mrc.ukri.org
https://nerc.ukri.org/funding/applic...opportunities/
https://ahrc.ukri.org/funding/apply-...opportunities/

UKRI has just had a relaunch so many of the calls are quite generic at the
moment.

Old May 18th 18, 09:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 18/05/2018 21:49, Chris wrote:

I'm talking on the basis of 15 years of experience.

https://epsrc.ukri.org/funding/calls/
https://bbsrc.ukri.org/research/food-security/
https://mrc.ukri.org
https://nerc.ukri.org/funding/applic...opportunities/
https://ahrc.ukri.org/funding/apply-...opportunities/

UKRI has just had a relaunch so many of the calls are quite generic at the
moment.

Those links seem to support my arguments better than yours, there are no
noticeable biases in any of them.
Old July 10th 18, 11:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 12/05/2018 20:26, David Higton wrote:
In message
Scott wrote:

I have just watched the BBC report about all the complaints about poor
mobile connectivity and fhe 'failure' of networks to install masts. I
wonder how many of these come from the same people who 10 years ago
spent their time objecting to mobile phone masts because of
'radiation'.

Question - are you more likely to be irradiated by your own phone
having to up its power output than by the mast?

Yes.

There's a lot of pseudo-scientific BS spouted about the dangers of
radio signals.

To irradiate yourself to any dangerous level, the only practical
way is to expose yourself to sunshine, which has both energy
density and quantum energy that are orders of magnitude higher
than radio signals. And sure enough, sunshine is a well known
cause of skin cancers.

(Yes, you can in theory stand in front of a microwave dish with
a high transmitter power, but I dismiss that as not practical
because of the safeguards normally in place to prevent people
doing so.)

Dave

---
https://www.avg.com

Anyone can stand in front of a microwave dish with a "high" transmitter
power - but actually doing yourself any harm is another matter. Most of
the microwave links in the UK use relatively low transmit power - a
tenth of a watt would be a powerful one. I admit that EIRP figures are
much higher.
Even when they are installed on rooftops, they are put above head
height, but that's to keep the link going, rather that to protect the
head. In most cases I believe that ICNIRP compliance requires that the
exclusion zone is fulled enclosed within the radome

AT
Old July 10th 18, 01:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 10/07/2018 12:48, Abandoned Trolley wrote:
Anyone can stand in front of a microwave dish with a "high" transmitter
power - but actually doing yourself any harm is another matter. Most of
the microwave links in the UK use relatively low transmit power - a
tenth of a watt would be a powerful one. I admit that EIRP figures are
much higher.
Even when they are installed on rooftops, they are put above head
height, but that's to keep the link going, rather that to protect the
head. In most cases I believe that ICNIRP compliance requires that the
exclusion zone is fulled enclosed within the radome

And no one would hold a UHF / microwave transmitter of even low power
against the side of their head! Or would they?

A friend was sent to investigate one complaint about a transmitter site.
He was sent high accuracy measuring equipment. He could hardly detect
the transmission at ground level. I asked if he tried measuring his
mobile phone - he did not give me a figure but said it was VERY high
when measured closed to the phone.

Old July 10th 18, 02:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 10/07/2018 14:18, MB wrote:
[...]

... which is why I cannot understand schools in the UK being reluctant
to host mobile phone base stations on their roofs (although plenty of
installations were allowed in the early days)

Having the base station close to the kids means that their phones will
be transmitting at the lowest power - but wiser counsel prevails :-\

AT

Old July 10th 18, 04:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Tuesday, 10 July 2018 15:35:53 UTC+1, Abandoned Trolley wrote:
On 10/07/2018 14:18, MB wrote:
[...]

Difficult to overcome superstitious science :-(
Old July 10th 18, 06:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 10/07/2018 14:18, MB wrote:
[...]

I think you mean "superstitious pesudo-science".

Dave
Old July 10th 18, 08:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 19:13:19 +0100
David Higton wrote:

In message
"R. Mark Clayton" wrote:

Difficult to overcome superstitious science :-(

I think you mean "superstitious pesudo-science".

But that's good, because it allows people to make special radiation
shields to protect your brain cells from your phone - I've seen them on
eBay so it must be true.

Old July 11th 18, 09:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 10/07/2018 21:36, Rob Morley wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 19:13:19 +0100
David Higton wrote:

In message
"R. Mark Clayton" wrote:

Difficult to overcome superstitious science :-(

I think you mean "superstitious pesudo-science".

But that's good, because it allows people to make special radiation
shields to protect your brain cells from your phone - I've seen them on
eBay so it must be true.

---
https://www.avg.com

OTOH, the shift towards "social media" data use, and the collapse in
voice telephony traffic means that the little darlings will hardly ever
hold a mobile "device" to their ears - resulting in a lower incidence of
brain scrambling.

How long will it be before we stop calling them "phones" ?

(that's PROPER science !)

AT
Old July 12th 18, 12:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

********** Scott wrote:

[...]

I well remember mucking about with 10GHz microwaves when I first got my
amateur radio licence back in the early 80's (oh dear, showing my age
now..!). A lot of us at our club often used to go out to local hilltop
sites with quite low power kit (10mW or so) to see how far we could get.

One friend told me of a time he was up on top of Clee Hill or some such
similar place when he was approached by a local copper. Apparently
somebody had reported him for acting suspiciously..! (Well he was rather
a suspicious type..!).

My friend patiently explained to the cop what he was doing, and he
seemed quite satisfied and was just turning round to leave when he
happened to glance over the edge of the hill and spotted a dead dog
lying in a ditch..! Now this poor pooch had obviously been there for
quite some time, but it didn't immediately register. Turning to my mate,
he said with a wide open mouth, "did you do that..?!"

My friend, who had been quite unaware of the dead pooch, couldn't reply
for quite some time, he was too busy laughing..!