Old May 12th 18, 06:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Connectivity and phone masts

I have just watched the BBC report about all the complaints about poor
mobile connectivity and fhe 'failure' of networks to install masts. I
wonder how many of these come from the same people who 10 years ago
spent their time objecting to mobile phone masts because of
'radiation'.

Question - are you more likely to be irradiated by your own phone
having to up its power output than by the mast?

Old May 12th 18, 08:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In message
Scott wrote:

I have just watched the BBC report about all the complaints about poor
mobile connectivity and fhe 'failure' of networks to install masts. I
wonder how many of these come from the same people who 10 years ago
spent their time objecting to mobile phone masts because of
'radiation'.

Question - are you more likely to be irradiated by your own phone
having to up its power output than by the mast?

Yes.

There's a lot of pseudo-scientific BS spouted about the dangers of
radio signals.

To irradiate yourself to any dangerous level, the only practical
way is to expose yourself to sunshine, which has both energy
density and quantum energy that are orders of magnitude higher
than radio signals. And sure enough, sunshine is a well known
cause of skin cancers.

(Yes, you can in theory stand in front of a microwave dish with
a high transmitter power, but I dismiss that as not practical
because of the safeguards normally in place to prevent people
doing so.)

Dave
Old May 13th 18, 01:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Saturday, 12 May 2018 18:35:50 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
I have just watched the BBC report about all the complaints about poor
mobile connectivity and fhe 'failure' of networks to install masts. I
wonder how many of these come from the same people who 10 years ago
spent their time objecting to mobile phone masts because of
'radiation'.

Question - are you more likely to be irradiated by your own phone
having to up its power output than by the mast?

Yes they have an output of 0.6W and are 0m away from your head, whereas the mast can be miles away with a power of tens of watts.

Lots of superstitious science about this - one claim was the the number of brain neoplasms had increased in Sweden by a dramatic amount. I looked it up for the UK and six people died from that cause in a year, five of them over 85!
Old May 13th 18, 10:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Sat, 12 May 2018 20:26:11 +0100
David Higton wrote:

There's a lot of pseudo-scientific BS spouted about the dangers of
radio signals.

To irradiate yourself to any dangerous level, the only practical
way is to expose yourself to sunshine, which has both energy
density and quantum energy that are orders of magnitude higher
than radio signals. And sure enough, sunshine is a well known
cause of skin cancers.

It's also very frequency (wavelength) dependent. Ultraviolet, the cause
of burns and most skin cancers, is more energetic than visible light.
That is in the range of 400nm (nanometres) whereas even the highest 4G
band has a wavelength of centimetres, orders of magnitude less
energetic.

Everything has its resonant frequency. Most of these are higher up in
the spectrum than RF, which is how mass spectrometry using visible
light works. One of the exceptions is water which, due to its odd
shaped molecule, resonates at 2.4GHz which is the frequency 802.11bgn
uses. Water is a conundrum, one of the few compounds to resonate so
low down which actually expands in the transition from liquid to solid.

2.4GHz is also the frequency "microwave" ovens use (although 2.4GHz is
actually 13cm, nowhere near m) and this is how they work, by exciting
water molecules. However, to generate sufficient activity for this
effect, the magnetron runs at around a kilowatt into a resonant chamber
that traps the energy. The anecdotes about birds dropping cooked from
the sky above large dish antennas is just that: An amusing fantasy.
Without the trapping effect, inverse square law applies.

In summary, as David so eloquently says, there is hogwash coming down
the hill over this non-issue. You're more likely to get irradiated
in any meaningful way by a fluorescent lamp.

2450MHz being the resonant frequency of water molecules, is a widely
held myth.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old May 13th 18, 10:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In article , Scott
scribeth thus
I have just watched the BBC report about all the complaints about poor
mobile connectivity and fhe 'failure' of networks to install masts. I
wonder how many of these come from the same people who 10 years ago
spent their time objecting to mobile phone masts because of
'radiation'.

Two things AIUI the reduction of masts. I know of a local landowner who
used to have six he's now down to two.

Also..

I hear that theres a type of cell enhancer booster repeater gubbins that
it seems collects a lot of noise around 900 odd MHz from LED lights and
in turn re-transmits this and jams up the inputs of mobile phone base
stations.

That info from a decent source...

Old May 13th 18, 10:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Sun, 13 May 2018 22:10:26 +0100, Graham. wrote:

2450MHz being the resonant frequency of water molecules, is a widely
held myth.

As an undergraduate (nearly 50 years ago) I was told that it's just over
22GHz, inasmuch as it can be said to have a single resonent frequency.
Old May 14th 18, 11:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 12/05/18 20:26, David Higton wrote:
In message
Scott wrote:

I have just watched the BBC report about all the complaints about poor
mobile connectivity and fhe 'failure' of networks to install masts. I
wonder how many of these come from the same people who 10 years ago
spent their time objecting to mobile phone masts because of
'radiation'.

Question - are you more likely to be irradiated by your own phone
having to up its power output than by the mast?

Yes.

There's a lot of pseudo-scientific BS spouted about the dangers of
radio signals.

Probably so. And yet, I seem to remember something a few years back
about so-called "suicide alleys" across the US, which correlated well
with the national power distribution grid. There was an alleged link
between 60Hz EM fields and depression, IIRC.

But a very quick google turns up nothing. Anyone remember this?

--
Mike Scott (unet2 <at [deletethis] scottsonline.org.uk)
Harlow Essex
Old May 14th 18, 11:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Scott wrote:

I have just watched the BBC report about all the complaints about poor
mobile connectivity and fhe 'failure' of networks to install masts. I
wonder how many of these come from the same people who 10 years ago
spent their time objecting to mobile phone masts because of
'radiation'.

Question - are you more likely to be irradiated by your own phone
having to up its power output than by the mast?

Yes.

There's a lot of pseudo-scientific BS spouted about the dangers of
radio signals.

Probably so. And yet, I seem to remember something a few years back
about so-called "suicide alleys" across the US, which correlated well
with the national power distribution grid. There was an alleged link
between 60Hz EM fields and depression, IIRC.

But a very quick google turns up nothing. Anyone remember this?

I seem to remember the same claims made about 50kHz. It may have been
in a TV documentary. I thought it was discredited.
Old May 14th 18, 06:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Scott wrote:

I have just watched the BBC report about all the complaints about poor
mobile connectivity and fhe 'failure' of networks to install masts. I
wonder how many of these come from the same people who 10 years ago
spent their time objecting to mobile phone masts because of
'radiation'.

Question - are you more likely to be irradiated by your own phone
having to up its power output than by the mast?

Yes.

There's a lot of pseudo-scientific BS spouted about the dangers of
radio signals.

Probably so. And yet, I seem to remember something a few years back
about so-called "suicide alleys" across the US, which correlated well
with the national power distribution grid. There was an alleged link
between 60Hz EM fields and depression, IIRC.

But a very quick google turns up nothing. Anyone remember this?

This?
http://oem.bmj.com/content/57/4/258.info

I remember the panic there was over pylons and leukaemia in the 80s. Turned
out if you looked at the data properly there was no increased incidence
above the norm.

Old May 14th 18, 11:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 13/05/2018 13:18, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
Yes they have an output of 0.6W and are 0m away from your head, whereas the mast can be miles away with a power of tens of watts.

But the point is that the output power of a mobile phone is variable, and larger when you are a long way from a base station. So if there is any effect from the transmissions from mobile phones (which is open to doubt) then you are most likely to get it when using one in the middle of nowhere than when close to a transmission mast.

The nimbys who object to mobile phone masts on or near school buildings don't seem to realise that it reduces the effective overall density of electromagnetic radiation in the area, especially for mobile phone users themselves.

--
Clive Page