UK Mobile Phones (uk.telecom.mobile) Mobile telephone equipment and networks.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old May 12th 18, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Nov 2010
Posts: 418
Default OS updates - naive question

My Moto 4G Play has still not received Android 7 (Nougat). My
understanding is that this is available (n other territories) and that
the carrier (Vodafone) is responsible for the update. Why can't the
phone connect to the Lenovo website and get the update from there?

  #2   Report Post  
Old May 12th 18, 07:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: May 2018
Posts: 1
Default OS updates - naive question

On 12/05/2018 18:39, Scott wrote:
My Moto 4G Play has still not received Android 7 (Nougat). My
understanding is that this is available (n other territories) and that
the carrier (Vodafone) is responsible for the update. Why can't the
phone connect to the Lenovo website and get the update from there?

Because Android is highly customizable and most phone companies highly
customize it.

  #3   Report Post  
Old May 12th 18, 08:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Nov 2010
Posts: 418
Default OS updates - naive question

On Sat, 12 May 2018 19:24:36 +0100, MikeS wrote:

On 12/05/2018 18:39, Scott wrote:
My Moto 4G Play has still not received Android 7 (Nougat). My
understanding is that this is available (n other territories) and that
the carrier (Vodafone) is responsible for the update. Why can't the
phone connect to the Lenovo website and get the update from there?

Because Android is highly customizable and most phone companies highly
customize it.


But was mine customised by Vodafone? I bought the phone SIM free.
  #4   Report Post  
Old May 14th 18, 07:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Aug 2008
Posts: 483
Default OS updates - naive question

Scott wrote:
On Sat, 12 May 2018 19:24:36 +0100, MikeS wrote:

On 12/05/2018 18:39, Scott wrote:
My Moto 4G Play has still not received Android 7 (Nougat). My
understanding is that this is available (n other territories) and that
the carrier (Vodafone) is responsible for the update. Why can't the
phone connect to the Lenovo website and get the update from there?

Because Android is highly customizable and most phone companies highly
customize it.


But was mine customised by Vodafone? I bought the phone SIM free.


Did you buy it from voda? Then yes.

  #5   Report Post  
Old May 14th 18, 09:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Nov 2010
Posts: 418
Default OS updates - naive question

On Mon, 14 May 2018 06:50:49 -0000 (UTC), Chris
wrote:

Scott wrote:
On Sat, 12 May 2018 19:24:36 +0100, MikeS wrote:

On 12/05/2018 18:39, Scott wrote:
My Moto 4G Play has still not received Android 7 (Nougat). My
understanding is that this is available (n other territories) and that
the carrier (Vodafone) is responsible for the update. Why can't the
phone connect to the Lenovo website and get the update from there?

Because Android is highly customizable and most phone companies highly
customize it.


But was mine customised by Vodafone? I bought the phone SIM free.


Did you buy it from voda? Then yes.


I didn't. I bought it from Carfone Warehouse and transferred the SIM
card from my previous phone. Are you suggesting this could prevent me
getting the update ever?


  #6   Report Post  
Old May 14th 18, 06:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Aug 2008
Posts: 483
Default OS updates - naive question

Scott wrote:
On Mon, 14 May 2018 06:50:49 -0000 (UTC), Chris
wrote:

Scott wrote:
On Sat, 12 May 2018 19:24:36 +0100, MikeS wrote:

On 12/05/2018 18:39, Scott wrote:
My Moto 4G Play has still not received Android 7 (Nougat). My
understanding is that this is available (n other territories) and that
the carrier (Vodafone) is responsible for the update. Why can't the
phone connect to the Lenovo website and get the update from there?

Because Android is highly customizable and most phone companies highly
customize it.

But was mine customised by Vodafone? I bought the phone SIM free.


Did you buy it from voda? Then yes.


I didn't. I bought it from Carfone Warehouse and transferred the SIM
card from my previous phone.


Was it sold as locked to voda?

Are you suggesting this could prevent me
getting the update ever?


It could. If you buy a network-locked phone it'll have a custom ROM that
only they can update regardless of any available updates from google or the
phone manufacturer.

The moto 4G is quite an old phone now. I doubt there are any updates for it
now. Where do so you see that there might be updates available elsewhere ?



  #7   Report Post  
Old May 15th 18, 10:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Nov 2010
Posts: 418
Default OS updates - naive question

On Mon, 14 May 2018 17:16:06 -0000 (UTC), Chris
wrote:

Scott wrote:
On Mon, 14 May 2018 06:50:49 -0000 (UTC), Chris
wrote:

Scott wrote:
On Sat, 12 May 2018 19:24:36 +0100, MikeS wrote:

On 12/05/2018 18:39, Scott wrote:
My Moto 4G Play has still not received Android 7 (Nougat). My
understanding is that this is available (n other territories) and that
the carrier (Vodafone) is responsible for the update. Why can't the
phone connect to the Lenovo website and get the update from there?

Because Android is highly customizable and most phone companies highly
customize it.

But was mine customised by Vodafone? I bought the phone SIM free.


Did you buy it from voda? Then yes.


I didn't. I bought it from Carfone Warehouse and transferred the SIM
card from my previous phone.


Was it sold as locked to voda?


No, but it came with a SIM card that I did not use. I transferred my
existing SIM on the advice of Carphone. The SIM in the 'deal' may
have been EE but is it not the case that had the phone been locked to
EE it would not be working now [with a Vodafone SIM]?

Are you suggesting this could prevent me
getting the update ever?


It could. If you buy a network-locked phone it'll have a custom ROM that
only they can update regardless of any available updates from google or the
phone manufacturer.


Can I assume it has worked with Vodafone for more than a year it
cannot be locked to EE?

The moto 4G is quite an old phone now. I doubt there are any updates for it
now. Where do so you see that there might be updates available elsewhere ?


https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...Z2D7xc5jR_zC2t

https://www.motorola.com/us/software-and-apps/android

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...XW7uiDvnyYCYdZ
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...xqt4-Aq2mDfaPp

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...Q1ty1jIa_RQ-NQ

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...Hts2VeT_hRxfa4
  #8   Report Post  
Old May 16th 18, 08:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Aug 2008
Posts: 483
Default OS updates - naive question

Scott wrote:
On Mon, 14 May 2018 17:16:06 -0000 (UTC), Chris
wrote:

Scott wrote:
On Mon, 14 May 2018 06:50:49 -0000 (UTC), Chris
wrote:

Scott wrote:
On Sat, 12 May 2018 19:24:36 +0100, MikeS wrote:

On 12/05/2018 18:39, Scott wrote:
My Moto 4G Play has still not received Android 7 (Nougat). My
understanding is that this is available (n other territories) and that
the carrier (Vodafone) is responsible for the update. Why can't the
phone connect to the Lenovo website and get the update from there?

Because Android is highly customizable and most phone companies highly
customize it.

But was mine customised by Vodafone? I bought the phone SIM free.


Did you buy it from voda? Then yes.

I didn't. I bought it from Carfone Warehouse and transferred the SIM
card from my previous phone.


Was it sold as locked to voda?


No, but it came with a SIM card that I did not use. I transferred my
existing SIM on the advice of Carphone. The SIM in the 'deal' may
have been EE but is it not the case that had the phone been locked to
EE it would not be working now [with a Vodafone SIM]?

Are you suggesting this could prevent me
getting the update ever?


It could. If you buy a network-locked phone it'll have a custom ROM that
only they can update regardless of any available updates from google or the
phone manufacturer.


Can I assume it has worked with Vodafone for more than a year it
cannot be locked to EE?


Yes. A locked phone will never work with a foreign SIM.

Check this site https://support.motorola.com/uk/en/softwareupgrade

You need to check whether your phone iOS genuinely a retail version:
"Go to your device’s Settings menu and select About Phone. If you don’t see
Retail (or RET) under System Version, go back and select your carrier."


The moto 4G is quite an old phone now. I doubt there are any updates for it
now. Where do so you see that there might be updates available elsewhere ?


https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...Z2D7xc5jR_zC2t


Most of these links are hearsay. I also got burned with my Moto 4G with a
promise of an update to nougat from Three/Motorola which never
materialised.

That was my last android phone. Until all Android devices get all relevant
updates direct from Google for a decent amount of time- two years minimum
from last day of availability- I'm not going to consider them as a viable
product.

  #9   Report Post  
Old May 16th 18, 09:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Nov 2010
Posts: 418
Default OS updates - naive question

On Wed, 16 May 2018 07:37:35 -0000 (UTC), Chris
wrote:

Scott wrote:
On Mon, 14 May 2018 17:16:06 -0000 (UTC), Chris
wrote:

Scott wrote:
On Mon, 14 May 2018 06:50:49 -0000 (UTC), Chris
wrote:

Scott wrote:
On Sat, 12 May 2018 19:24:36 +0100, MikeS wrote:

On 12/05/2018 18:39, Scott wrote:
My Moto 4G Play has still not received Android 7 (Nougat). My
understanding is that this is available (n other territories) and that
the carrier (Vodafone) is responsible for the update. Why can't the
phone connect to the Lenovo website and get the update from there?

Because Android is highly customizable and most phone companies highly
customize it.

But was mine customised by Vodafone? I bought the phone SIM free.


Did you buy it from voda? Then yes.

I didn't. I bought it from Carfone Warehouse and transferred the SIM
card from my previous phone.

Was it sold as locked to voda?


No, but it came with a SIM card that I did not use. I transferred my
existing SIM on the advice of Carphone. The SIM in the 'deal' may
have been EE but is it not the case that had the phone been locked to
EE it would not be working now [with a Vodafone SIM]?

Are you suggesting this could prevent me
getting the update ever?

It could. If you buy a network-locked phone it'll have a custom ROM that
only they can update regardless of any available updates from google or the
phone manufacturer.


Can I assume it has worked with Vodafone for more than a year it
cannot be locked to EE?


Yes. A locked phone will never work with a foreign SIM.

Check this site https://support.motorola.com/uk/en/softwareupgrade

You need to check whether your phone iOS genuinely a retail version:
"Go to your devices Settings menu and select About Phone. If you dont see
Retail (or RET) under System Version, go back and select your carrier."

I can't find 'system version'.

The moto 4G is quite an old phone now. I doubt there are any updates for it
now. Where do so you see that there might be updates available elsewhere ?


https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...Z2D7xc5jR_zC2t


Most of these links are hearsay. I also got burned with my Moto 4G with a
promise of an update to nougat from Three/Motorola which never
materialised.

That was my last android phone. Until all Android devices get all relevant
updates direct from Google for a decent amount of time- two years minimum
from last day of availability- I'm not going to consider them as a viable
product.


What about Google Pixel? Does this not guarantee latest updates?
  #10   Report Post  
Old May 16th 18, 10:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: May 2018
Posts: 8
Default OS updates - naive question

On Wed, 16 May 2018 09:58:26 +0100, Scott wrote:

What about Google Pixel? Does this not guarantee latest updates?


Google devices do get very timely updates. However, there comes a point
when they stop doing that as they can't realistically be back compatible
with older hardware.

I bought a Nexus 5 four years ago - I still use it, and am happy with it.
It was updated through multiple versions but has now stuck on Android
Marshmallow, which isn't too bad, and certainly better than what Samsung
ever managed.


Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Naive questions Bill UK Mobile Phones 1 October 24th 04 11:25 AM
P900 SW updates \(_8\(|\) UK Mobile Phones 10 December 11th 03 08:33 AM
P900 firmware updates Chris Boyd UK Mobile Phones 10 November 14th 03 02:10 PM
SE P800 firmware updates David Glover UK Mobile Phones 0 September 17th 03 04:33 PM
Orange Upgrade 3 SIM Updates Adrian UK Mobile Phones 4 August 22nd 03 12:51 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 Mobile Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about UK mobile phones"

 

Copyright © 2017