Old May 22nd 18, 09:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Charging in the car

On 16/05/2018 15:27, Daniel James wrote:

They should be, but I have seen USB sockets used for supplying 12V.

There are some funny "USB" devices around ... I have an Asus tablet
that has a "USB" transformer plug thingie and a "USB" cable with a
proprietary Asus connector on the other end. The two bits of kit use
extra pins in the transformer to provide a 12V supply to the tablet BUT
the same transformer can be used with a normal USB sync/charge cable to
charge a normal USB device at 5V (because the 12V output doesn't
connect when using a normal USB cable).

Similarly the Asus cable can be used to connect the Asus tablet to the
USB port of a PC for data transfer, but as the PC doesn't have the 12V
supply the tablet won't charge.

Is that what you've seen?

No; that's ok because the 12v line is separate and can't be applied to a
5v device. The thing I saw was a radio which used took in 12v via a
standard USB lead. I can't find the magazine now, but I remember the
reviewer commenting that people had glued the plug into the power supply!

If I can find it, I'll post the details.

rgds
LAurence