Old August 9th 18, 10:50 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.telecom.mobile

Default National Rail Enquiries

In message , at 11:23:03 on Thu, 9 Aug
2018, MissRiaElaine remarked:
Last time I travelled on the ECML (Virgin) they wanted me to pay to use
the WiFi.

Since this was the morning after the Manchester atrocity there were
quite a few passengers unhappy about this.

Has the present company changed this policy?

It's now free in Standard, if you buy the ticket through the LNER
website (which means they keep the 9% commission they'd otherwise have
paid to a third party seller).

What about if you buy it from an LNER ticket counter or machine?

It's a "web-only" thing, partly to drive people to their garish website,
but also don't they need to issue a code?

Yes, they email you a password.

Password or no, when we last tried to use it, the connection was so
slow it was constantly dropping out and was unusable.

Not much changes, then. The very first time I tried it (probably back in
GNER days) it took the whole journey from Kings Cross to Peterborough
(where I alighted) to sign into the damn thing.
--
Roland Perry

Old August 9th 18, 11:07 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.telecom.mobile

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 20:26:44 on Wed, 8 Aug 2018,
Anna Noyd-Dryver remarked:

You mention geo-locating. GPS reception drinks battery power like
there's no tomorrow!

It finds the nearest station, which is concerning. I think I have
disabled this feature.

I find that one of the most useful features of the app!

Cellsite/wifi location is adequate for finding the nearest station.

On iPhone you can’t select which method individual apps are allowed to use.

In any case, if insufficient GPS signal is available, presumably that’s
what the location-determining system falls back to?

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Old August 9th 18, 11:07 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.telecom.mobile

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 22:21:08 on Wed, 8 Aug 2018,
Anna Noyd-Dryver remarked:

Also if you’re in the middle of nowhere it can be quite interesting to see
what the nearest ‘as the crow flies’ stations are!

Of course, where I live "Shippea Hill" comes up quite a lot in that
context. They really need a filter 'and has more than one train a day'.

I said interesting rather than useful. Pilning shows up among my nearest
stations.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Old August 9th 18, 11:07 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.telecom.mobile

Scott wrote:
On Wed, 8 Aug 2018 22:21:08 -0000 (UTC), Anna Noyd-Dryver
wrote:

Basil Jet wrote:
On 08/08/2018 21:26, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Scott wrote:

It finds the nearest station, which is concerning. I think I have
disabled this feature.

I find that one of the most useful features of the app!

I've now got this image of you hurtling into Paddington at 125mph
looking at your phone and scratching your head.

ROTFL

Not when driving, obviously, the phone is firmly switched off and out of
reach!

But when trying to find my best train home from wherever I’ve ended up that
day, ‘from - stations - nearest’ is far easier than typing the station
name.

Similarly at home, it’s easier to pick my local station like that than by
typing.

Also if you’re in the middle of nowhere it can be quite interesting to see
what the nearest ‘as the crow flies’ stations are!

Have you considered battery consumption? I am trying to limit mine
and wondering whether turning off this feature would make a
significant difference. I have done this and changed location to
battery saving but this does not seem to make any difference to
Norton'a assessement that the app is responsible for high power
consumption. I would be interested to know whether the locating
function is demanding on resources.

I use iPhone mostly, and I’ve never had a problem with battery consumption
by this app; but then I don’t use it that much, and it closes itself after
a while sitting in the background unused anyway.

The only app I’ve really noticed being a battery-drain is the FirstBus
M-ticket app, so I make sure I close that app once I’m aboard.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Old August 9th 18, 11:26 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.telecom.mobile

In message , at 11:07:58 on Thu, 9 Aug 2018,
Anna Noyd-Dryver remarked:
You mention geo-locating. GPS reception drinks battery power like
there's no tomorrow!

It finds the nearest station, which is concerning. I think I have
disabled this feature.

I find that one of the most useful features of the app!

Cellsite/wifi location is adequate for finding the nearest station.

On iPhone you can’t select which method individual apps are allowed to use.

In any case, if insufficient GPS signal is available, presumably that’s
what the location-determining system falls back to?

I'm suggesting turning off GPS altogether, if this is the sort of App
being run.
--
Roland Perry

Old August 9th 18, 03:54 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.telecom.mobile

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:07:58 on Thu, 9 Aug 2018,
Anna Noyd-Dryver remarked:
You mention geo-locating. GPS reception drinks battery power like
there's no tomorrow!

It finds the nearest station, which is concerning. I think I have
disabled this feature.

I find that one of the most useful features of the app!

Cellsite/wifi location is adequate for finding the nearest station.

On iPhone you can’t select which method individual apps are allowed to use.

In any case, if insufficient GPS signal is available, presumably that’s
what the location-determining system falls back to?

I'm suggesting turning off GPS altogether, if this is the sort of App
being run.

I often use apps like google maps and speedometer which require GPS; but
then as I said I’ve never had a problem with excessive battery consumption
by the NR app.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Old August 9th 18, 09:21 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.telecom.mobile

On Thu, 9 Aug 2018 07:38:44 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 20:26:44 on Wed, 8 Aug 2018,
Anna Noyd-Dryver remarked:

You mention geo-locating. GPS reception drinks battery power like
there's no tomorrow!

It finds the nearest station, which is concerning. I think I have
disabled this feature.

I find that one of the most useful features of the app!

Cellsite/wifi location is adequate for finding the nearest station.

Not on my phone it isn't. It is convinced it's in Euston anywhere near
a Pendolino.

---
https://www.avg.com

Old August 11th 18, 12:00 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.telecom.mobile

On 07/08/2018 12:44, Scott wrote:
Norton Mobile reports that National Rail Enquiries is responsible for
high battery usageon my smartphone. I went through the settings to
see if there is anything I can adjust (eg location?) but without
success. Does anyone have an issue with NRE or any suggestions?

I think I found this with an earlier version, and it's true of other apps too (on my Android phone). I have installed an app called "Active Applications" which reports how much cpu they are currently using and allows one to stop execution of any or all apps. Not all Apps stop using cpu when you think you have finished using them, and stopping them via the Settings menu structure is possible but complicated. So periodically I check what's still active and kill all those I don't need at the present time. I think this helps.

Others have pointed out that enabling GPS is a huge battery drain on many phones, including mine, so I use that as sparingly as possible. Unfortunately an increasing number of apps make it difficult or even impossible to use them with location disabled.

--
Clive Page
Old August 11th 18, 12:19 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.telecom.mobile

In message , at 13:00:36 on Sat, 11
Aug 2018, Clive Page remarked:

Others have pointed out that enabling GPS is a huge battery drain on
many phones, including mine, so I use that as sparingly as possible.
Unfortunately an increasing number of apps make it difficult or even
impossible to use them with location disabled.

'Location' is also available via cellsite and wifi hotspots. Despite
there being a few edge cases where wifi gives a funny answer [I once was
told I was in Norwich when my phone picked up what was presumably a
Greater Anglia hotspot which at the time was at Stansted Airport
station].

But that doesn't mean that mostly you can turn of GPS for those apps
which claim to need to know where you are within a few hundred yards (or
in some cases I know, simply which country).
--
Roland Perry