Old August 7th 18, 11:44 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.telecom.mobile

Default National Rail Enquiries

I hope this cross-posting is appropriate.

Norton Mobile reports that National Rail Enquiries is responsible for
high battery usageon my smartphone. I went through the settings to
see if there is anything I can adjust (eg location?) but without
success. Does anyone have an issue with NRE or any suggestions?

Old August 7th 18, 07:58 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.telecom.mobile

"Scott" wrote in message
I hope this cross-posting is appropriate.

Norton Mobile reports that National Rail Enquiries is responsible
for
high battery usageon my smartphone. I went through the settings to
see if there is anything I can adjust (eg location?) but without
success. Does anyone have an issue with NRE or any suggestions?

Either turn off data on your phone which may or may not be practical
depending how you use it or, if you are using an app delete said app
and use the web pages instead.

If you have an app it may be getting new timetable data constantly -
which you probably don't need.

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old August 8th 18, 05:21 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.telecom.mobile

On 07/08/18 20:58, Woody wrote:
"Scott" wrote in message
I hope this cross-posting is appropriate.

Norton Mobile reports that National Rail Enquiries is responsible
for
high battery usageon my smartphone. I went through the settings to
see if there is anything I can adjust (eg location?) but without
success. Does anyone have an issue with NRE or any suggestions?

Either turn off data on your phone which may or may not be practical
depending how you use it or, if you are using an app delete said app
and use the web pages instead.

If you have an app it may be getting new timetable data constantly -
which you probably don't need.

You could try deleting the NRE app and installing one from one of the
ToCs. Personally I use Real Time Trains in a browser.

Old August 8th 18, 07:39 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.telecom.mobile

martin.coffee wrote:
On 07/08/18 20:58, Woody wrote:
"Scott" wrote in message
I hope this cross-posting is appropriate.

Norton Mobile reports that National Rail Enquiries is responsible
for
high battery usageon my smartphone. I went through the settings to
see if there is anything I can adjust (eg location?) but without
success. Does anyone have an issue with NRE or any suggestions?

Either turn off data on your phone which may or may not be practical
depending how you use it or, if you are using an app delete said app
and use the web pages instead.

If you have an app it may be getting new timetable data constantly -
which you probably don't need.

You could try deleting the NRE app and installing one from one of the
ToCs. Personally I use Real Time Trains in a browser.

On the evening of the York signalling centre lightning strike I was in
Manchester trying to get home to West Yorkshire. Real time trains was
showing cancelled trains as running, i.e. duff information. I used the NRE
web page in a browser on my phone to get the relevant information about
what trains they were intending to run (although this turned out to be
inaccurate, too).

By the way, battery usage is much higher when travelling outside urban
areas, because much more power is used when the phone has a weak signal.
It can be worthwhile to switch the phone to airplane mode (or airplane mode
with WiFi enabled, if you’re using the train’s WiFi) to conserve battery
power when the signal is weak (as experienced on long stretches of the
ECML).

--
Jeremy Double
Old August 8th 18, 08:03 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.telecom.mobile

On 08/08/18 08:39, Jeremy Double wrote:
martin.coffee wrote:
On 07/08/18 20:58, Woody wrote:
"Scott" wrote in message
[...]

Last time I travelled on the ECML (Virgin) they wanted me to pay to use
the WiFi.

Since this was the morning after the Manchester atrocity there were
quite a few passengers unhappy about this.

Has the present company changed this policy?

Old August 8th 18, 08:09 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.telecom.mobile

martin.coffee wrote:
On 07/08/18 20:58, Woody wrote:
"Scott" wrote in message
[...]

VTEC provided free WiFi in First. It was also free in Standard if you
pre-registered. I doubt that the policy has changed with the new branding
(it's still the same company).

Old August 8th 18, 08:23 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.telecom.mobile

On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 20:58:04 +0100, "Woody"
wrote:

"Scott" wrote in message
.. .
I hope this cross-posting is appropriate.

Norton Mobile reports that National Rail Enquiries is responsible
for
high battery usageon my smartphone. I went through the settings to
see if there is anything I can adjust (eg location?) but without
success. Does anyone have an issue with NRE or any suggestions?

Either turn off data on your phone which may or may not be practical
depending how you use it or, if you are using an app delete said app
and use the web pages instead.

I think I can minimise the date then tturn it back on again for
selected applications. I will try that.

If you have an app it may be getting new timetable data constantly -
which you probably don't need.

This was my concern - or geolocating - so I wanted to tweak the
settings if a can. I find it a very useful app, much better than the
ScotRail one.
Old August 8th 18, 10:58 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.telecom.mobile

"Scott" wrote in message
On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 20:58:04 +0100, "Woody"
wrote:

"Scott" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

You mention geo-locating. GPS reception drinks battery power like
there's no tomorrow!

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old August 8th 18, 11:12 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.telecom.mobile

In message , at 09:03:48 on Wed, 8 Aug 2018,
martin.coffee remarked:
Last time I travelled on the ECML (Virgin) they wanted me to pay to use
the WiFi.

Since this was the morning after the Manchester atrocity there were
quite a few passengers unhappy about this.

Has the present company changed this policy?

It's now free in Standard, if you buy the ticket through the LNER
website (which means they keep the 9% commission they'd otherwise have
paid to a third party seller).
--
Roland Perry
Old August 8th 18, 03:22 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.telecom.mobile

On 08/08/18 09:09, Recliner wrote:

VTEC provided free WiFi in First. It was also free in Standard if you
pre-registered. I doubt that the policy has changed with the new branding
(it's still the same company).

It's supposedly free in standard if you pre-register, which we did when
we last travelled with them in May, but the system was so slow and
erratic that we gave up in the end.