Old October 9th 18, 01:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default PAYG number porting +?

T i m wrote:
Mrs has got a new Doro 6030 (well, she is a pensioner <g) and was
hoping to transfer the std SIM from her old mini Nokia to the new Doro
(hopefully inc contacts etc).

I punched the Std into a micro SIM but it doesn't seem to work in the
Doro (but is ok back in the Nokia in an adaptor).

Are there older SIMs out there that aren't compatible with newer
phone?

So, that then got me looking around at alternative PAYG tariffs and it
looks like the O2 3p/m deal could be good

There's always the Three 3-2-1 PAYG deal which is very good value.

(especially compared with
the 40p/m 'Everyday' tariff she's currently on)

That's an extortionate deal these days. You should certainly change it. I
did it for my FIL - he went from spending £10-20pm to a tenner lasting
several months.

but that would either
mean a new number (not the EOTW) or getting the old number ported?

Porting numbers is routine. I've just done it for my daughter from PAYG to
contract. I've also done it in the other direction. I've had my number 20+
years.

So, is generally possible to get PAYG numbers ported please?

Yes.

I think I might have read I might have to get T-Mobile to put the
number on EE and then maybe move it from there later?

It's already on EE, despite you being on a T-mobile tariff.

Cheers, T i m

p.s. £20, even on the expensive Tariff lasts her a year or so. ;-)

As long as she sends a text or makes a call every 6 months there shouldn't
be any problem.

Old October 9th 18, 03:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Mon 08/10/2018 20:31, T i m wrote:
Mrs has got a new Doro 6030 (well, she is a pensioner <g) and was
hoping to transfer the std SIM from her old mini Nokia to the new Doro
(hopefully inc contacts etc).

I punched the Std into a micro SIM but it doesn't seem to work in the
Doro (but is ok back in the Nokia in an adaptor).

Are there older SIMs out there that aren't compatible with newer
phone?

So, that then got me looking around at alternative PAYG tariffs and it
looks like the O2 3p/m deal could be good (especially compared with
the 40p/m 'Everyday' tariff she's currently on) but that would either
mean a new number (not the EOTW) or getting the old number ported?

So, is generally possible to get PAYG numbers ported please?

I think I might have read I might have to get T-Mobile to put the
number on EE and then maybe move it from there later?

Cheers, T i m

p.s. £20, even on the expensive Tariff lasts her a year or so. ;-)

A better suggestion - get her onto GiffGaff which uses the O2
infrastructure.

If you use GG go to their web site and order a SIM card. When you get
it, register it, then get the PAC code from T-Mob, forward it to GG
following the on-screen instructions and a couple of days later your GG
SIM will be changed to herself's old number. Very quick, simple, and
reliable.

The only downside of GG is that to get the calls rates you would need to
do a minimum top-up of £5p/m automated.

DO NOT whatever you do moved SWMBO from T-Mob to EE as they will insist
on you having a new SIM (although they can transfer the number) but the
call rate will be 35p per min against probably less than half that that
you are paying on the current deal.

If you just want to go onto the basic O2 package, get the PAC code and
take it along with herself's phone to a BT shop and they should be able
to do it almost while you wait. My experience is that they are very helpful.

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old October 9th 18, 05:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Monday, 8 October 2018 20:31:18 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
Mrs has got a new Doro 6030 (well, she is a pensioner <g) and was
hoping to transfer the std SIM from her old mini Nokia to the new Doro
(hopefully inc contacts etc).

I punched the Std into a micro SIM but it doesn't seem to work in the
Doro (but is ok back in the Nokia in an adaptor).

Are there older SIMs out there that aren't compatible with newer
phone?

So, that then got me looking around at alternative PAYG tariffs and it
looks like the O2 3p/m deal could be good (especially compared with
the 40p/m 'Everyday' tariff she's currently on) but that would either
mean a new number (not the EOTW) or getting the old number ported?

IIRC just text CLASSIC to 202 or similar (Googel it up).

So, is generally possible to get PAYG numbers ported please?

Yes.

I think I might have read I might have to get T-Mobile to put the
number on EE and then maybe move it from there later?

EE is T-Mobile and Orange.

Old October 9th 18, 05:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Monday, 8 October 2018 21:28:06 UTC+1, Theo wrote:
T i m wrote:
Are there older SIMs out there that aren't compatible with newer
phone?

Yes, that's quite possible. It's also possible to get bad connections on
punched SIMs.

Very.

You can ask your network to give you a new SIM of the right size - usually
it's free.

They give you a multi-SIM

So, that then got me looking around at alternative PAYG tariffs and it
looks like the O2 3p/m deal could be good (especially compared with
the 40p/m 'Everyday' tariff she's currently on) but that would either
mean a new number (not the EOTW) or getting the old number ported?

You might be able to call O2 and ask to change tariff. You could do that at
the same time as asking for a new SIM.

So, is generally possible to get PAYG numbers ported please?

Officially, it's not guaranteed within the same network (ie you'd have to
port out and port in again). But if it's the same network they can often
change your tariff while keeping the same account set up. So porting out
and then in is only needed in particular cases (eg PAYG to contract, or to
get some special deal not available to existing customers).

Theo

Old October 9th 18, 05:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Tuesday, 9 October 2018 17:28:45 UTC+1, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
[...]

Just noticed - you have to top up every six months, not just make a call :-(

Old October 9th 18, 07:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 15:44:01 +0100, Woody
wrote:

<snip

A better suggestion - get her onto GiffGaff which uses the O2
infrastructure.

I have GiffGaff in a spare phone and the only time I've used it so far
was to stop it timing out. ;-)

If you use GG go to their web site and order a SIM card. When you get
it, register it, then get the PAC code from T-Mob, forward it to GG
following the on-screen instructions and a couple of days later your GG
SIM will be changed to herself's old number. Very quick, simple, and
reliable.

Unfortunately (?) I've already done just that with O2 (following the
previous advice here) and it suggests it should be going over
tomorrow.

The only downside of GG is that to get the calls rates you would need to
do a minimum top-up of 5p/m automated.

Ok.

DO NOT whatever you do moved SWMBO from T-Mob to EE

I think she's had many texts from EE suggesting that's what she might
do (and she's ignored). ;-)

as they will insist
on you having a new SIM (although they can transfer the number) but the
call rate will be 35p per min against probably less than half that that
you are paying on the current deal.

I'm not exactly sure what tariff she's on worth T-Mob, unless it's
what they are currently showing for the 'Everyday' tariff? (She just
sent a text and it cost her 15p and a call just over 1 min for 80p so
40p/m)?

If you just want to go onto the basic O2 package, get the PAC code and
take it along with herself's phone to a BT shop and they should be able
to do it almost while you wait. My experience is that they are very helpful.

We nearly did.

Long-short. Picked up a O2 PAYG SIM, put it in the new phone, checked
it worked.

I contacted T-Mobile using her phone and got the PAC (after they
offered to put us on a cheaper tariff).

Back to O2 ... Concerned it wasn't the 'Classic' tariff, used the O2
online chat to confirm. They said it would have to be topped up /
activated before they (or I) could change over from the Big Bundles
tariff to Classic. I created an online O2 account, linked it to the
new O2 number (got a confirmation text) tried to top up online with a
Debit card but it failed, twice (different cards, contact your bank)?

Went round in circles with several 'This number is no longer in use'
numbers till I selected a random option from the automated options
(faulty SIM or some such) and finally spoke to a human (in India by
the sound of it) and I started with 'I was going to select cancel my
account but I haven't managed to register yet ...' and the very nice
lady credited the account with 10 and changed it to the Classic
tariff. ;-)

I the filled in the online porting your number form and we are now
sitting here with our fingers crossed.

One thing we aren't too sure about from the various emails / texts
received is what we *actually* need to do with the phones to allow the
changeover to work? One instruction was to leave both phones off on
the day of the changeover (tomorrow) but I'm not sue if that is
essential or not?

Another instruction was to turn the new phone off and on a few times
(tomorrow) and also to make a call to register it?

We were thinking of who to ring for ~18 minutes on the old phone to
use up the 7+ credit. ;-)

Or, do you think T-Mobile would be able to transfer the credit to my
T-Mobile Pointer WiFi access point?

Cheers, T i m
Old October 9th 18, 07:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

T i m wrote:
One thing we aren't too sure about from the various emails / texts
received is what we *actually* need to do with the phones to allow the
changeover to work? One instruction was to leave both phones off on
the day of the changeover (tomorrow) but I'm not sue if that is
essential or not?

Another instruction was to turn the new phone off and on a few times
(tomorrow) and also to make a call to register it?

It doesn't matter - the only thing that can happen is there's a time where
phones won't register, or where outgoing calls come from one and incoming to
the other, or wierd things like that. It'll sort itself out eventually.
If you think it might be confusing (eg to people who call you), turn them
off.

We were thinking of who to ring for ~18 minutes on the old phone to
use up the £7+ credit. ;-)

You can donate to charity via SMS, which is probably more useful than giving
the money to T-Mob. eg for those who use JustGiving:
https://help.justgiving.com/hc/en-us...nate-via-text-
Lots of charities have similar setups.

(Do this before the port goes through because the old SIM will stop working
after)

Or, do you think T-Mobile would be able to transfer the credit to my
T-Mobile Pointer WiFi access point?

No idea, but worth a try I suppose.

Theo
Old October 9th 18, 08:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 09 Oct 2018 19:37:50 +0100 (BST), Theo
wrote:

T i m wrote:
One thing we aren't too sure about from the various emails / texts
received is what we *actually* need to do with the phones to allow the
changeover to work? One instruction was to leave both phones off on
the day of the changeover (tomorrow) but I'm not sue if that is
essential or not?

Another instruction was to turn the new phone off and on a few times
(tomorrow) and also to make a call to register it?

It doesn't matter - the only thing that can happen is there's a time where
phones won't register, or where outgoing calls come from one and incoming to
the other, or wierd things like that. It'll sort itself out eventually.
If you think it might be confusing (eg to people who call you), turn them
off.

Ah, thanks. As long as the phones being on won't prevent something
going through (like an open file) then that's cool.

We were thinking of who to ring for ~18 minutes on the old phone to
use up the 7+ credit. ;-)

You can donate to charity via SMS, which is probably more useful than giving
the money to T-Mob. eg for those who use JustGiving:
https://help.justgiving.com/hc/en-us...nate-via-text-
Lots of charities have similar setups.

Damn. I might have done that ...

(Do this before the port goes through because the old SIM will stop working
after)

Or, do you think T-Mobile would be able to transfer the credit to my
T-Mobile Pointer WiFi access point?

No idea, but worth a try I suppose.

And I did and they did, so now my Pointer has 16 on it. ;-)

The (another) very nice lady at EE CS transferred 6 of the remaining
7.08 because the Pointer uses 2/day and that also leaves a bit on
the phone 'on case'. ;-)

As I said to CS, I wish they did a better low user PAYG tariff (even
5p/min) as we would have stayed with them for the (recent especially)
quality of support. ;-(

Both times, straight through to someone who was willing and able to
help and in my case, without me being able to furnish her with the
Pointer phone number etc (but it was registered at my address).

Calling them on my all you can eat EE contact phone may have helped.
;-)

Cheers, T i m
Old October 9th 18, 09:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 09/10/2018 11:50, T i m wrote:

Hmm ... it's just that 120 day topup thing that's could make it a
dealbreaker David? ;-(

I had the same thought, as I have a little-used O2 PAYG SIM. I checked
with the local O2 shop here and that isn't an issue. As long as you make
a call/send a message every 6 months it will stay live.

Old October 13th 18, 02:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 09:31:28 -0700 (PDT), "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:

<snip

So, that then got me looking around at alternative PAYG tariffs and it
looks like the O2 3p/m deal could be good (especially compared with
the 40p/m 'Everyday' tariff she's currently on) but that would either
mean a new number (not the EOTW) or getting the old number ported?

<snip

p.s. 20, even on the expensive Tariff lasts her a year or so. ;-)

Just noticed - you have to top up every six months, not just make a call :-(

Firstly, thanks to all who offered help and advice re this question.

I'm pleased to say 'she' is now using the new Doro 6030 phone on her
old T-Mob number on O2 PAYG 'Classic'. That's the good news. ;-)

OOI, during the porting transition it seemed that both phones were
online to varying degrees (voice / text etc) but it all seemed to be
working on her new phone / service by lunchtime the next day.

I am growing ever more frustrated as she seems to be getting less
confident / switched_on how a phone supposedly aimed at pensioners can
appear so complicated to configure?

I even downloaded, printed and bound the owners handbook for her to
help her see if she could adjust the text message tone ... along with
prompts like 'it might be under 'Settings Sounds / Tones but a good
time later it looked like it was impossible.

I asked her for the phone, Settings Sounds / Tones and there they
were? ;-(

We even had a 'moment' around how she turned it off ... even though it
was the exact same way as on the Samsung she's had for years
previously? Of course I could do it all (and often do) but hows she
ever going to learn that way?

Anyroadup, re the requirement to TopUp the O2 'Classic' PAYG tariff
every 6 months ...

From what I can ascertain, you have to make a chargeable call once
every 6 months but you may only *actually* need to apply a TopUp every
999 days (25 years)??

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Mo...Cs/td-p/114811

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-As...1/td-p/1134400

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com....php?t=3250102

Even if it is 10 every 6 months, she might be more inclined to use
her mobile instead the house phone, especially for short calls as even
with 18185 on the land line, I think it costs 5p per call setup +
1.6p/m after that, so it may well not be an issue in any case.

Now, the question is do I port my old T-Mob number (that I've had from
the beginning) over to someone cheaper or is one of the advantages of
that old PAYG (40/m) tariff that there was no requirement for regular
topups?

The 6310i the SIM sits in is starting to show it's age <g so I've
picked up a Nokia 105 because it has 30+ days standby (I leave the old
phone on for those people who can't get I've got a new number /
phone). ;-)

Cheers, T i m