Old October 15th 18, 11:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default PAYG number porting +?

On Saturday, 13 October 2018 14:16:32 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 09:31:28 -0700 (PDT), "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:

<snip

So, that then got me looking around at alternative PAYG tariffs and it
looks like the O2 3p/m deal could be good (especially compared with
the 40p/m 'Everyday' tariff she's currently on) but that would either
mean a new number (not the EOTW) or getting the old number ported?

<snip

p.s. £20, even on the expensive Tariff lasts her a year or so. ;-)

Just noticed - you have to top up every six months, not just make a call :-(

Firstly, thanks to all who offered help and advice re this question.

I'm pleased to say 'she' is now using the new Doro 6030 phone on her
old T-Mob number on O2 PAYG 'Classic'. That's the good news. ;-)

OOI, during the porting transition it seemed that both phones were
online to varying degrees (voice / text etc) but it all seemed to be
working on her new phone / service by lunchtime the next day.

I am growing ever more frustrated as she seems to be getting less
confident / switched_on how a phone supposedly aimed at pensioners can
appear so complicated to configure?

I even downloaded, printed and bound the owners handbook for her to
help her see if she could adjust the text message tone ... along with
prompts like 'it might be under 'Settings Sounds / Tones but a good
time later it looked like it was impossible.

I asked her for the phone, Settings Sounds / Tones and there they
were? ;-(

We even had a 'moment' around how she turned it off ... even though it
was the exact same way as on the Samsung she's had for years
previously? Of course I could do it all (and often do) but hows she
ever going to learn that way?

Anyroadup, re the requirement to TopUp the O2 'Classic' PAYG tariff
every 6 months ...

From what I can ascertain, you have to make a chargeable call once
every 6 months but you may only *actually* need to apply a TopUp every
999 days (25 years)??

just under three years.

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Mo...Cs/td-p/114811

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-As...1/td-p/1134400

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com....php?t=3250102

Even if it is £10 every 6 months, she might be more inclined to use
her mobile instead the house phone, especially for short calls as even
with 18185 on the land line, I think it costs 5p per call setup +
1.6p/m after that, so it may well not be an issue in any case.

On the phone O2 gave different advice. I have a SIM that was topped up a lot in 2010 to get 500 free minutes each time (used in an election) and has not been topped up since and is still working, but only switched to Classic in the summer.

Now, the question is do I port my old T-Mob number (that I've had from
the beginning) over to someone cheaper or is one of the advantages of
that old PAYG (40/m) tariff that there was no requirement for regular
topups?

The 6310i the SIM sits in is starting to show it's age <g so I've
picked up a Nokia 105 because it has 30+ days standby (I leave the old
phone on for those people who can't get I've got a new number /
phone). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Old October 15th 18, 01:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 09/10/2018 21:29, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 09/10/2018 11:50, T i m wrote:

Hmm ...* it's just that 120 day topup thing that's could make it a
dealbreaker David? ;-(

I had the same thought, as I have a little-used O2 PAYG SIM. I checked
with the local O2 shop here and that isn't an issue. As long as you make
a call/send a message every 6 months it will stay live.

Well done T i m in spotting that 120 day thing - as you say, that's a
dealbreaker.

Chargeable event every 6 months is much easier to achieve.

O2 looks a bit strict in definition of data session for the unit of data
usage for my liking, but I don't think that this is an issue for you -
my reading of the O2 T&C is that for my usage pattern O2 could be 3 to
10 times what I pay with 3 (each time your phone calls home it cost 1p,
rather than when you've used 1 MB).

Kind regards,

Dave
Old October 15th 18, 01:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 09/10/2018 11:16, Theo wrote:
David Sankey wrote:
Thing to watch out for with low usage is how long your top-up lasts.
Can't find any mention of this in the O2 T&C, but I vaguely remember it
being an issue back when I used O2.

Did you actually have a problem with it?

There's a bit of wording on the O2 site that says you have to topup every 6
months, but it's not in the T&C and O2 admit it's a mistake on the website:
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-As.../1117693#M8291

The T&C just say you have to make a chargeable event every 6 months, just
like most other networks.

I'm not sure that I had a problem, I just remember considering it - it
was most likely a chargeable event/credit expiry/top-up frequency issue
that has been left behind by how things have evolved in the intervening
10 years!
Old October 15th 18, 10:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 09/10/2018 11:50, T i m wrote:

Hmm ...* it's just that 120 day topup thing that's could make it a
dealbreaker David? ;-(

I had the same thought, as I have a little-used O2 PAYG SIM. I checked
with the local O2 shop here and that isn't an issue. As long as you
make a call/send a message every 6 months it will stay live.

Well done T i m in spotting that 120 day thing - as you say, that's a
dealbreaker.

Chargeable event every 6 months is much easier to achieve.

O2 looks a bit strict in definition of data session for the unit of data
usage for my liking, but I don't think that this is an issue for you -
my reading of the O2 T&C is that for my usage pattern O2 could be 3 to
10 times what I pay with 3 (each time your phone calls home it cost 1p,
rather than when you've used 1 MB).

Kind regards,

Dave

From an earlier post:

ASDA mobile:
"if you choose not to use the Services for a continuous period of 180
days (‘use the Services’ means (i) making any chargeable outbound calls
(excluding calls to 2732, see Price Plan for prices), or (ii) any
topping up of your account); "

But ASDA is not the cheapest.

Networks vary.

Note - 120 days is four(4) months.

--

Flop

I find it ironic that the colours red, white, and blue stand for freedom
until they are flashing behind you
Old October 16th 18, 09:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 09/10/2018 11:50, T i m wrote:

Hmm ...* it's just that 120 day topup thing that's could make it a
dealbreaker David? ;-(

I had the same thought, as I have a little-used O2 PAYG SIM. I
checked with the local O2 shop here and that isn't an issue. As long
as you make a call/send a message every 6 months it will stay live.

Well done T i m in spotting that 120 day thing - as you say, that's a
dealbreaker.

Chargeable event every 6 months is much easier to achieve.

O2 looks a bit strict in definition of data session for the unit of
data usage for my liking, but I don't think that this is an issue for
you - my reading of the O2 T&C is that for my usage pattern O2 could
be 3 to 10 times what I pay with 3 (each time your phone calls home it
cost 1p, rather than when you've used 1 MB).

Kind regards,

Dave

From an earlier post:

ASDA mobile:
"if you choose not to use the Services for a continuous period of 180
days (‘use the Services’ means (i) making any chargeable outbound calls
(excluding calls to 2732, see Price Plan for prices), or (ii) any
topping up of your account); "

But ASDA is not the cheapest.

Networks vary.

Note - 120 days is four(4) months.

Which is why GiffGaff (on O2 infrastructure) is a better bargain. This link
https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/He.../td-p/15529371
shows how to keep the SIM active - rather more flexible than the O2
offer methinks?

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old October 16th 18, 08:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 09:00:38 +0100, Woody
wrote:

<snip

But ASDA is not the cheapest.

Networks vary.

Note - 120 days is four(4) months.

Which is why GiffGaff (on O2 infrastructure) is a better bargain. This link
https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/He.../td-p/15529371
shows how to keep the SIM active - rather more flexible than the O2
offer methinks?

I have an old phone on T-Mobile PAYG (Everyday plan 40 / 15p) and the
Mrs has a note in her dairy to us to send a text inside 180 days to
keep it active. I can't remember the last time we topped it up (the
only outgoing activity it sees is the 15p activation text every 180
days). ;-)

I have a later old phone with a GiffGaff PAYG sim and every so often I
also have to send a text every 6 months from that to keep it active. I
get reminder texts and emails from them though. Again, not topped it
up since the initial 10 and I think most of it is still on there
(15/5p). If there is no requirement to top up if in credit, 10 pounds
should last 10/.05 = 200 years in activation texts. ;-)

O2 Classic SIM / tariff is on a new basic phone, ready to take the
T-Mobile number if I want to port it over. I understand I need to make
a 'Chargeable call' (I think they use 'call' to mean anything that
costs, inc texts etc) every 6 months and it needs topping up (min 10)
every 999 days. For a 'spare phone' that means ~3/ year so not really
that bad, considering the call costs (3/2p, should I actually need to
use it etc).

I mentioned 25 years on the topup interval earlier because I read that
someone had checked with O2 and they said it was 25 years (not 999
days). Probably 9999 days (~27 years)?

If that is the case, that makes it the best straight deal (cheapest
activation text costs)?

Cheers, T i m

Old October 16th 18, 08:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 03:47:59 -0700 (PDT), "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:

<snip

Even if it is 10 every 6 months, she might be more inclined to use
her mobile instead the house phone, especially for short calls as even
with 18185 on the land line, I think it costs 5p per call setup +
1.6p/m after that, so it may well not be an issue in any case.

On the phone O2 gave different advice. I have a SIM that was topped up a lot in 2010 to get 500 free minutes each time (used in an election) and has not been topped up since and is still working, but only switched to Classic in the summer.

I wonder if it really is 9999 days between topups then?

Cheers, T i m