Old October 8th 18, 08:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default PAYG number porting +?

Mrs has got a new Doro 6030 (well, she is a pensioner <g) and was
hoping to transfer the std SIM from her old mini Nokia to the new Doro
(hopefully inc contacts etc).

I punched the Std into a micro SIM but it doesn't seem to work in the
Doro (but is ok back in the Nokia in an adaptor).

Are there older SIMs out there that aren't compatible with newer
phone?

So, that then got me looking around at alternative PAYG tariffs and it
looks like the O2 3p/m deal could be good (especially compared with
the 40p/m 'Everyday' tariff she's currently on) but that would either
mean a new number (not the EOTW) or getting the old number ported?

So, is generally possible to get PAYG numbers ported please?

I think I might have read I might have to get T-Mobile to put the
number on EE and then maybe move it from there later?

Cheers, T i m

p.s. 20, even on the expensive Tariff lasts her a year or so. ;-)

Old October 8th 18, 08:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Mon, 08 Oct 2018 20:31:19 +0100, T i m wrote:
So, is generally possible to get PAYG numbers ported please?

Sure, I actually ported a number to O2 PAYG just a few weeks ago
(keep in mind that you'll lose any credit on the old SIM card)

Christof

http://cmeerw.org sip:cmeerw at cmeerw.org
mailto:cmeerw at cmeerw.org xmpp:cmeerw at cmeerw.org
Old October 8th 18, 09:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Mon, 8 Oct 2018 19:47:24 +0000 (UTC), Christof Meerwald
wrote:

On Mon, 08 Oct 2018 20:31:19 +0100, T i m wrote:
So, is generally possible to get PAYG numbers ported please?

Sure,

Cool. ;-)

I actually ported a number to O2 PAYG just a few weeks ago

Even better.

(keep in mind that you'll lose any credit on the old SIM card)

Good point but not the end of the world etc (I think she said it was
less than a tenner).

Cheers, T i m

Old October 8th 18, 09:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

T i m wrote:
Are there older SIMs out there that aren't compatible with newer
phone?

Yes, that's quite possible. It's also possible to get bad connections on
punched SIMs.

You can ask your network to give you a new SIM of the right size - usually
it's free.

So, that then got me looking around at alternative PAYG tariffs and it
looks like the O2 3p/m deal could be good (especially compared with
the 40p/m 'Everyday' tariff she's currently on) but that would either
mean a new number (not the EOTW) or getting the old number ported?

You might be able to call O2 and ask to change tariff. You could do that at
the same time as asking for a new SIM.

So, is generally possible to get PAYG numbers ported please?

Officially, it's not guaranteed within the same network (ie you'd have to
port out and port in again). But if it's the same network they can often
change your tariff while keeping the same account set up. So porting out
and then in is only needed in particular cases (eg PAYG to contract, or to
get some special deal not available to existing customers).

Theo
Old October 8th 18, 11:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 08 Oct 2018 21:28:03 +0100 (BST), Theo
wrote:

T i m wrote:
Are there older SIMs out there that aren't compatible with newer
phone?

Yes, that's quite possible. It's also possible to get bad connections on
punched SIMs.

Understood.

You can ask your network to give you a new SIM of the right size - usually
it's free.

And that would carry the same number?

So, that then got me looking around at alternative PAYG tariffs and it
looks like the O2 3p/m deal could be good (especially compared with
the 40p/m 'Everyday' tariff she's currently on) but that would either
mean a new number (not the EOTW) or getting the old number ported?

You might be able to call O2 and ask to change tariff. You could do that at
the same time as asking for a new SIM.

Sorry Theo. She's currently with T-Mobile on the 'Everyday' tariff (I
think it's called). I was thinking if she couldn't carry her old
number onto a new SIM or provider then she might as well go to someone
cheaper (O2)

So, is generally possible to get PAYG numbers ported please?

Officially, it's not guaranteed within the same network (ie you'd have to
port out and port in again).

Ah.

But if it's the same network they can often
change your tariff while keeping the same account set up.

I think EE have been trying to get her across from T-Mobile so that
might help.

So porting out
and then in is only needed in particular cases (eg PAYG to contract, or to
get some special deal not available to existing customers).

Ok thanks. So this would be (specifically) T-Mob PAYG to O2 PAYG (and
retaining her old T-Mob number)?

Cheers, T i m

Old October 9th 18, 12:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

You can ask your network to give you a new SIM of the right size - usually
it's free.

And that would carry the same number?

If it's a simple reissue, yes.

Ok thanks. So this would be (specifically) T-Mob PAYG to O2 PAYG (and
retaining her old T-Mob number)?

Should be straightforward:

Put SIM back in old phone, call T-Mob CS
Asking for your porting authentication code (PAC)

Obtain new O2 SIM:
https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards/pay-as-you-go
(or a pound shop/newsagents should have them)

Follow the instructons he
https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sim...-mobile-number
or call O2 CS with your PAC and the number on the new SIM card

- takes 1-2 working days.

Theo
Old October 9th 18, 10:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 08/10/2018 21:31, T i m wrote:
Mrs has got a new Doro 6030 (well, she is a pensioner <g) and was
hoping to transfer the std SIM from her old mini Nokia to the new Doro
(hopefully inc contacts etc).

I punched the Std into a micro SIM but it doesn't seem to work in the
Doro (but is ok back in the Nokia in an adaptor).

Are there older SIMs out there that aren't compatible with newer
phone?

There are, similarly new phones that aren't compatible with old networks
- I have certainly been through the 'get new SIM and port number'
rigmarole. First time I did this back in 2007 it was a bit of a faff,
but the recent times have just worked.

So, that then got me looking around at alternative PAYG tariffs and it
looks like the O2 3p/m deal could be good (especially compared with
the 40p/m 'Everyday' tariff she's currently on) but that would either
mean a new number (not the EOTW) or getting the old number ported?

Thing to watch out for with low usage is how long your top-up lasts.
Can't find any mention of this in the O2 T&C, but I vaguely remember it
being an issue back when I used O2.

Check out <https://payg.pythonanywhere.com, looks like T-Mobile
undercut this with their 1pMobile, and this doesn't expire.

So, is generally possible to get PAYG numbers ported please?

Yes, you request a PAC from your current provider.

I think I might have read I might have to get T-Mobile to put the
number on EE and then maybe move it from there later?

Sounds like you just need to ask T-Mobile to change you to 1pMobile and
possibly send you a new SIM.

Kind regards,

Dave

Old October 9th 18, 11:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

You can ask your network to give you a new SIM of the right size - usually
it's free.

And that would carry the same number?

If it's a simple reissue, yes.

Ok thanks. So this would be (specifically) T-Mob PAYG to O2 PAYG (and
retaining her old T-Mob number)?

Should be straightforward:

Put SIM back in old phone, call T-Mob CS
Asking for your porting authentication code (PAC)

Obtain new O2 SIM:
https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards/pay-as-you-go
(or a pound shop/newsagents should have them)

Follow the instructons he
https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sim...-mobile-number
or call O2 CS with your PAC and the number on the new SIM card

- takes 1-2 working days.

Thanks very much for that Theo.

I think I have read most of that pre posting but am always wary of
mistakenly reading INTO what is(n't) there, rather than what it
actually says. Like, the instructions are only for contract phones or
not the particular combination I'm hoping.

Like, the O2 link doesn't actually state PAYG to PAYG across providers
but *could* be covered in the:

"Switching from another network to O2"

It's the sort of thing I'd try and then find out it's (obviously?)
'contract only' as 'everyone knows' it doesn't apply to PAYG. ;-(

The other options don't help confirm the first option to be the valid
one:

"Moving from Pay As You Go to Pay Monthly

Moving from Pay Monthly to Pay As You Go"

etc.

Anyone here on the O2 PAYG (3/2/1p) and are there any gotchas?

Cheers, T i m
Old October 9th 18, 11:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

David Sankey wrote:
Thing to watch out for with low usage is how long your top-up lasts.
Can't find any mention of this in the O2 T&C, but I vaguely remember it
being an issue back when I used O2.

Did you actually have a problem with it?

There's a bit of wording on the O2 site that says you have to topup every 6
months, but it's not in the T&C and O2 admit it's a mistake on the website:
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-As.../1117693#M8291

The T&C just say you have to make a chargeable event every 6 months, just
like most other networks.

Theo
Old October 9th 18, 11:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 11:55:17 +0200, David Sankey
wrote:

On 08/10/2018 21:31, T i m wrote:
Mrs has got a new Doro 6030 (well, she is a pensioner <g) and was
hoping to transfer the std SIM from her old mini Nokia to the new Doro
(hopefully inc contacts etc).

I punched the Std into a micro SIM but it doesn't seem to work in the
Doro (but is ok back in the Nokia in an adaptor).

Are there older SIMs out there that aren't compatible with newer
phone?

There are, similarly new phones that aren't compatible with old networks

Ah.

- I have certainly been through the 'get new SIM and port number'
rigmarole. First time I did this back in 2007 it was a bit of a faff,
but the recent times have just worked.

Good to know it's better nowadays.

So, that then got me looking around at alternative PAYG tariffs and it
looks like the O2 3p/m deal could be good (especially compared with
the 40p/m 'Everyday' tariff she's currently on) but that would either
mean a new number (not the EOTW) or getting the old number ported?

Thing to watch out for with low usage is how long your top-up lasts.
Can't find any mention of this in the O2 T&C, but I vaguely remember it
being an issue back when I used O2.

Check out <https://payg.pythonanywhere.com, looks like T-Mobile
undercut this with their 1pMobile, and this doesn't expire.

But I read it as needing a topup every 4 months (10 min) and that
means it's going to cost her 30/pa min?

https://www.1pmobile.com/tariff-and-charges.taf

If calls go from 40p/min to even 3p/min then her 20 topups should
last years! ;-)

So, is generally possible to get PAYG numbers ported please?

Yes, you request a PAC from your current provider.

Understood.

I think I might have read I might have to get T-Mobile to put the
number on EE and then maybe move it from there later?

Sounds like you just need to ask T-Mobile to change you to 1pMobile and
possibly send you a new SIM.

Hmm ... it's just that 120 day topup thing that's could make it a
dealbreaker David? ;-(

Cheers, T i m