Old October 20th 18, 07:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default PAC transfers getting slower?

On 19/10/2018 16:08, MissRiaElaine wrote:

Besides, I wasn't aware that computers only worked Monday to Friday.
When I was doing a little bit of working from home, I could still log on
to the company network over the weekend. So why can't a PAC be generated
automatically at any time, on a website or something..?

A PAC can be, and often is, generated and issued 24/7,

I presume because the transfer has to involve two parties to administer,
then the networks only initiate on working days (points noted about your
working hours)

It's the same with some bank transactions, all electronic these days,
but often not cleared funds until 9am on the next working day.

--
Mark

Old October 21st 18, 10:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 20/10/2018 19:45, Mark Carver wrote:
On 19/10/2018 16:08, MissRiaElaine wrote:

Besides, I wasn't aware that computers only worked Monday to Friday.
When I was doing a little bit of working from home, I could still log
on to the company network over the weekend. So why can't a PAC be
generated automatically at any time, on a website or something..?

A PAC can be, and often is, generated and issued 24/7,

I presume because the transfer has to involve two parties to administer,
then the networks only initiate on working days (points noted about your
working hours)

It's the same with some bank transactions, all electronic these days,
but often not cleared funds until 9am on the next working day.

I suspect that as IBM boasts many bank systems are Mainframe based, they
may still involve the dreaded overnight batch runs.

Dave
Old October 21st 18, 06:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 21/10/2018 10:42, David Wade wrote:

I suspect that as IBM boasts many bank systems are Mainframe based, they
may still involve the dreaded overnight batch runs.

Dave

I wouldn't be surprised. When I worked for British Rail in the 80's and
early 90's we had a lot of processes that ran on mainframes and a lot of
processes worked on the overnight batch processing system.

I remember there was a big cluster controller box in a little side room
that connected to all the 3270 terminals by coax cable and then linked
to the synchronous modem that in turn linked to the mainframe itself. It
had an 8-inch floppy drive with the operating system it used on it..!

Are e2save getting slower with cashback cheques Ken UK Mobile Phones 20 June 9th 08 09:02 PM
Transfers John[_5_] UK Mobile Phones 8 August 18th 07 07:42 PM
Getting PAC code from o2 online Stephen Haley UK Mobile Phones 0 October 27th 04 11:02 AM
Getting PAC code from T Mobile Chris Ashley UK Mobile Phones 1 October 5th 03 04:16 PM
Getting PAC code from orange? ={ Advocated }= UK Mobile Phones 3 October 3rd 03 07:25 PM