UK Mobile Phones (uk.telecom.mobile) Mobile telephone equipment and networks.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old October 18th 18, 04:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Aug 2008
Posts: 489
Default PAC transfers getting slower?


Recently my wife and daughter transferred to different mobile providers
and moved their existing phone numbers. One to plusnet and one to
idmobile, and both were told that it would take over a day (id say 2-3
days). Plusnet don't even do PAC transfers over the weekend; we
initiated the transfer on saturday, but it didn't go through until
Tuesday! Is this normal? Why isn't it just an automatic system?

I've moved a few times over the years, but I've never had to wait more
than a few hours for the transfer. Is it me or are they slower now than
they used to be?

  #2   Report Post  
Old October 18th 18, 05:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Jul 2018
Posts: 75
Default PAC transfers getting slower?

On 18/10/2018 16:10, Chris wrote:

Recently my wife and daughter transferred to different mobile providers
and moved their existing phone numbers. One to plusnet and one to
idmobile, and both were told that it would take over a day (id say 2-3
days). Plusnet don't even do PAC transfers over the weekend; we
initiated the transfer on saturday, but it didn't go through until
Tuesday! Is this normal? Why isn't it just an automatic system?

I've moved a few times over the years, but I've never had to wait more
than a few hours for the transfer. Is it me or are they slower now than
they used to be?


Think yourself lucky..! When I first tried to move a number (from
Vodafone to Orange, IIRC) back when it was first allowed, it took a week
(7 "working" days, that is...)

--
Ria in Aberdeen

[Send address is invalid, use sipsoup at gmail dot com to reply direct]
  #3   Report Post  
Old October 18th 18, 06:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Dec 2015
Posts: 82
Default PAC transfers getting slower?

Chris wrote:

Recently my wife and daughter transferred to different mobile providers
and moved their existing phone numbers. One to plusnet and one to
idmobile, and both were told that it would take over a day (id say 2-3
days). Plusnet don't even do PAC transfers over the weekend; we
initiated the transfer on saturday, but it didn't go through until
Tuesday! Is this normal? Why isn't it just an automatic system?


Is it common to do weekend transfers? The problem is that if the transfer
goes wrong, you have to wait until Monday morning until the technical people
can look at it. That's why porting on a Friday is also a bad idea.

Theo
  #4   Report Post  
Old October 18th 18, 07:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Aug 2008
Posts: 489
Default PAC transfers getting slower?

Theo wrote:
Chris wrote:

Recently my wife and daughter transferred to different mobile providers
and moved their existing phone numbers. One to plusnet and one to
idmobile, and both were told that it would take over a day (id say 2-3
days). Plusnet don't even do PAC transfers over the weekend; we
initiated the transfer on saturday, but it didn't go through until
Tuesday! Is this normal? Why isn't it just an automatic system?


Is it common to do weekend transfers?


It is if the SIM arrives in the post on a Saturday.

The problem is that if the transfer
goes wrong, you have to wait until Monday morning until the technical people
can look at it. That's why porting on a Friday is also a bad idea.


I get that things can go wrong, but why isn't it automated?



  #5   Report Post  
Old October 18th 18, 07:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Aug 2008
Posts: 489
Default PAC transfers getting slower?

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 18/10/2018 16:10, Chris wrote:

Recently my wife and daughter transferred to different mobile providers
and moved their existing phone numbers. One to plusnet and one to
idmobile, and both were told that it would take over a day (id say 2-3
days). Plusnet don't even do PAC transfers over the weekend; we
initiated the transfer on saturday, but it didn't go through until
Tuesday! Is this normal? Why isn't it just an automatic system?

I've moved a few times over the years, but I've never had to wait more
than a few hours for the transfer. Is it me or are they slower now than
they used to be?


Think yourself lucky..! When I first tried to move a number (from
Vodafone to Orange, IIRC) back when it was first allowed, it took a week
(7 "working" days, that is...)


I can imagine! I was a late adopter and didn't get one until the 2000s.



  #6   Report Post  
Old October 19th 18, 07:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Oct 2011
Posts: 368
Default PAC transfers getting slower?

On 18/10/2018 19:11, Chris wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 18/10/2018 16:10, Chris wrote:

Recently my wife and daughter transferred to different mobile providers
and moved their existing phone numbers. One to plusnet and one to
idmobile, and both were told that it would take over a day (id say 2-3
days). Plusnet don't even do PAC transfers over the weekend; we
initiated the transfer on saturday, but it didn't go through until
Tuesday! Is this normal? Why isn't it just an automatic system?

I've moved a few times over the years, but I've never had to wait more
than a few hours for the transfer. Is it me or are they slower now than
they used to be?


Think yourself lucky..! When I first tried to move a number (from
Vodafone to Orange, IIRC) back when it was first allowed, it took a week
(7 "working" days, that is...)


I can imagine! I was a late adopter and didn't get one until the 2000s.


Well that explains why you think it's quicker - it hasn't always been.
I remember having to phone up, during working hours, and wait for my PAC
to arrive in the post - sent 2nd class of course on the last day that
they had to generate it.

It is automated, but there are reasonable chances of things going wrong
(there's a lot of interconnected systems owned by different people to
get updated in the right order) so it's generally done when people have
the chance to fix it if it goes wrong.

In any case, to your repeated "why?" question - porting is not something
operators want to do (why make it easier for customers to leave?) so why
spend the time and money to make it as easy as possible? You could
advance a counter-argument that it makes it easier to gain customers,
but you then have a process with unequal partners - one reluctant and
one insistent....
  #7   Report Post  
Old October 19th 18, 12:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Aug 2008
Posts: 489
Default PAC transfers getting slower?

Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 18/10/2018 19:11, Chris wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 18/10/2018 16:10, Chris wrote:

Recently my wife and daughter transferred to different mobile providers
and moved their existing phone numbers. One to plusnet and one to
idmobile, and both were told that it would take over a day (id say 2-3
days). Plusnet don't even do PAC transfers over the weekend; we
initiated the transfer on saturday, but it didn't go through until
Tuesday! Is this normal? Why isn't it just an automatic system?

I've moved a few times over the years, but I've never had to wait more
than a few hours for the transfer. Is it me or are they slower now than
they used to be?

Think yourself lucky..! When I first tried to move a number (from
Vodafone to Orange, IIRC) back when it was first allowed, it took a week
(7 "working" days, that is...)


I can imagine! I was a late adopter and didn't get one until the 2000s.


Well that explains why you think it's quicker - it hasn't always been.
I remember having to phone up, during working hours, and wait for my PAC
to arrive in the post - sent 2nd class of course on the last day that
they had to generate it.


I appreciate that, but in more recent history the transfers have been
quicker IME.

It is automated, but there are reasonable chances of things going wrong
(there's a lot of interconnected systems owned by different people to
get updated in the right order) so it's generally done when people have
the chance to fix it if it goes wrong.

In any case, to your repeated "why?" question - porting is not something
operators want to do (why make it easier for customers to leave?) so why
spend the time and money to make it as easy as possible? You could
advance a counter-argument that it makes it easier to gain customers,
but you then have a process with unequal partners - one reluctant and
one insistent....


Given the PAC process is pretty much the first experience you have with the
service provider it should incentivise them to make it smoother. Especially
since getting a PAC is very easy. The current system makes easier to leave
than join - the opposite of what you're suggesting.



  #8   Report Post  
Old October 19th 18, 02:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Dec 2015
Posts: 59
Default PAC transfers getting slower?

On 18/10/2018 16:10, Chris wrote:

Recently my wife and daughter transferred to different mobile providers
and moved their existing phone numbers. One to plusnet and one to
idmobile, and both were told that it would take over a day (id say 2-3
days). Plusnet don't even do PAC transfers over the weekend;


No UK network does. All PAC transfers are done during 'working days'
only. So if you send your PAC on the Friday before a Bank Holiday
Monday, nothing will happen until at least the following Tuesday


--
Mark
Please replace invalid and invalid with gmx and net to reply.
  #9   Report Post  
Old October 19th 18, 04:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Jul 2018
Posts: 75
Default PAC transfers getting slower?

On 19/10/2018 14:33, Mark Carver wrote:
On 18/10/2018 16:10, Chris wrote:

Recently my wife and daughter transferred to different mobile
providers and moved their existing phone numbers. One to plusnet and
one to idmobile, and both were told that it would take over a day (id
say 2-3 days). Plusnet don't even do PAC transfers over the weekend;


No UK network does. All PAC transfers are done during 'working days'
only. So if you send your PAC on the Friday before a Bank Holiday
Monday, nothing will happen until at least the following Tuesday


It always annoys me that people are always going on about 'working'
days. I've worked shifts all my life and weekends were just like any
other day for the vast majority of my working career.

Besides, I wasn't aware that computers only worked Monday to Friday.
When I was doing a little bit of working from home, I could still log on
to the company network over the weekend. So why can't a PAC be generated
automatically at any time, on a website or something..?


--
Ria in Aberdeen

[Send address is invalid, use sipsoup at gmail dot com to reply direct]
  #10   Report Post  
Old October 19th 18, 06:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Aug 2008
Posts: 489
Default PAC transfers getting slower?

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 19/10/2018 14:33, Mark Carver wrote:
On 18/10/2018 16:10, Chris wrote:

Recently my wife and daughter transferred to different mobile
providers and moved their existing phone numbers. One to plusnet and
one to idmobile, and both were told that it would take over a day (id
say 2-3 days). Plusnet don't even do PAC transfers over the weekend;


No UK network does. All PAC transfers are done during 'working days'
only. So if you send your PAC on the Friday before a Bank Holiday
Monday, nothing will happen until at least the following Tuesday


It always annoys me that people are always going on about 'working'
days. I've worked shifts all my life and weekends were just like any
other day for the vast majority of my working career.

Besides, I wasn't aware that computers only worked Monday to Friday.
When I was doing a little bit of working from home, I could still log on
to the company network over the weekend. So why can't a PAC be generated
automatically at any time, on a website or something..?


+1

Especially considering everything else to do with a mobile is 7 days a week



Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are e2save getting slower with cashback cheques Ken UK Mobile Phones 20 June 9th 08 09:02 PM
Transfers John[_5_] UK Mobile Phones 8 August 18th 07 07:42 PM
Getting PAC code from o2 online Stephen Haley UK Mobile Phones 0 October 27th 04 11:02 AM
Getting PAC code from T Mobile Chris Ashley UK Mobile Phones 1 October 5th 03 04:16 PM
Getting PAC code from orange? ={ Advocated }= UK Mobile Phones 3 October 3rd 03 07:25 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 Mobile Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about UK mobile phones"

 

Copyright © 2017