Old October 24th 18, 02:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Roaming charges port Brexit

On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 09:43:59 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Chris wrote:

I'd be reasonably confident that free roaming would still
be a thing. However, with a no-deal brexit all bets are off!

None of the networks would one to be seen to be first to re-introduce
roaming charges, especially as you say when they don't apply them in
places outside the EU.

If the networks tried to re-introduce charges at the same time to avoid
customers jumping ship to competitors who hadn't back-tracked, you'd
like to think they'd be investigated for collusion ...

Also, there are other options available now, at least for data
roaming, that are similarly priced to UK domestic data charges. For
example, I use a Pokefi device, which actually costs less than many UK
networks charge for data.

If the networks tried to go back to their extortionate rates for data
roaming I'd just stop using them when I travel overseas.

Old October 24th 18, 08:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Andy Burns wrote:
Chris wrote:

I'd be reasonably confident that free roaming would still
be a thing. However, with a no-deal brexit all bets are off!

None of the networks would one to be seen to be first to re-introduce
roaming charges, especially as you say when they don't apply them in
places outside the EU.

If the networks tried to re-introduce charges at the same time to avoid
customers jumping ship to competitors who hadn't back-tracked, you'd
like to think they'd be investigated for collusion ...

None of those arguments work with the energy firms. When one hikes prices
they all do, citing increased wholesale costs. Mobile networks could do
exactly the same.

The only reason roaming costs dropped as significantly and quickly as they
did was due to the EU commissioner setting caps and threats of fines. Ofcom
has no teeth so can't do the same post brexit.

Old October 25th 18, 12:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"MB" wrote in message news
On 23/10/2018 17:08, tim... wrote:
There's chatter that the companies wont want to upset the apple cart by
reintroducing charges.

I would think that if any of the big companies decide to not make a
roaming charge then the others will follow.

But it will allow smaller companies to offer a cheaper rate with roaming
charges for those with no interest in going abroad and not wishing to
subsidise those who do.

the point is that international roaming should be self financing

It doesn't cost any more to provide nowadays.

Old October 25th 18, 12:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Chris wrote:

I'd be reasonably confident that free roaming would still
be a thing. However, with a no-deal brexit all bets are off!

None of the networks would one to be seen to be first to re-introduce
roaming charges,

I don't agree

I doubt "being first" would bother Voda in the slightest

tim

Old October 25th 18, 12:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

Chris wrote:

I'd be reasonably confident that free roaming would still
be a thing. However, with a no-deal brexit all bets are off!

None of the networks would one to be seen to be first to re-introduce
roaming charges, especially as you say when they don't apply them in
places outside the EU.

If the networks tried to re-introduce charges at the same time to avoid
customers jumping ship to competitors who hadn't back-tracked, you'd
like to think they'd be investigated for collusion ...

Also, there are other options available now, at least for data
roaming, that are similarly priced to UK domestic data charges. For
example, I use a Pokefi device, which actually costs less than many UK
networks charge for data.

If the networks tried to go back to their extortionate rates for data
roaming I'd just stop using them when I travel overseas.

you will

Mr and Mrs (or Miss) Average will not.

they'll have no idea (as I haven't) what Pokefi is

tim

Old October 25th 18, 08:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 25/10/2018 12:32, tim... wrote:
the point is that international roaming should be self financing

It doesn't cost any more to provide nowadays.

Depends if the foreign network is the same company then probably not
much more just slightly higher administrative and billing charges. But
if you are not limited to your own company when abroad then I would
expect administrative and billing costs which could exceed other costs.

Old October 26th 18, 02:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Thu, 25 Oct 2018 12:35:12 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Chris wrote:

[...]

Google is your friend.
Old October 26th 18, 02:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Thu, 25 Oct 2018 20:37:11 +0100, MB wrote:

On 25/10/2018 12:32, tim... wrote:
the point is that international roaming should be self financing

It doesn't cost any more to provide nowadays.

Depends if the foreign network is the same company then probably not
much more just slightly higher administrative and billing charges. But
if you are not limited to your own company when abroad then I would
expect administrative and billing costs which could exceed other costs.

Even with different companies the administrative costs are fairly
marginal. Telecommunications companies have been dealing with
interconnection charges for decades now, and they refined their
systems long ago to the point where the whole process runs smoothly
and efficiently.

I can use my credit and debit cards anywhere in the world and the
additional charge for overseas transactions are not more than a
fraction of 1%. That's because all this kind of thing is completely
automated. There's very little practical difference between processing
a domestic transaction compared to an international one.

I'd be quite happy to pay 1 or 2% additional charges for roaming
anywhere in the world, which should easily cover any additional costs.
Old October 26th 18, 04:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 26/10/2018 02:55, Chris in Makati wrote:

Google is your friend.

No it's not, it tracks me too much. I prefer Duck Duck Go.

Old October 26th 18, 07:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Chris in Makati wrote:

I'd be quite happy to pay 1 or 2% additional charges for roaming
anywhere in the world, which should easily cover any additional costs.

Yet even now there are extortionate roaming charges when outside the EU.
So, regardless of what you believe don't ignores the desire of companies to
maximise profits through fair means or foul.