Old October 26th 18, 08:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Roaming charges port Brexit

"Chris in Makati" wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Oct 2018 12:35:12 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

"Chris in Makati" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 09:43:59 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Chris wrote:

I'd be reasonably confident that free roaming would still
be a thing. However, with a no-deal brexit all bets are off!

None of the networks would one to be seen to be first to re-introduce
roaming charges, especially as you say when they don't apply them in
places outside the EU.

If the networks tried to re-introduce charges at the same time to avoid
customers jumping ship to competitors who hadn't back-tracked, you'd
like to think they'd be investigated for collusion ...

Also, there are other options available now, at least for data
roaming, that are similarly priced to UK domestic data charges. For
example, I use a Pokefi device, which actually costs less than many UK
networks charge for data.

If the networks tried to go back to their extortionate rates for data
roaming I'd just stop using them when I travel overseas.

you will

Mr and Mrs (or Miss) Average will not.

they'll have no idea (as I haven't) what Pokefi is

Google is your friend.

only if you already know that it exists

if you've never heard of it, as I hadn't, you are Google-ing for information
on "blank"

tim

Old October 27th 18, 10:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 08:35:22 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

Chris wrote:

[...]

Anyone who has never heard of Google is unlikely to be someone who
would need any kind of mobile roaming service.
Old October 27th 18, 10:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

Chris wrote:

[...]

You're missing the point. People only google for something if they know (or
suspect) if the something exists e.g pokefi. TBH I'd never heard of it and
probably wouldn't have tried googling for it either. How would you even?

Google searches are so full of ads these days that trying to find something
niche is challenging.

Old October 27th 18, 10:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

Chris wrote:

[...]

But he does know what to search for. I told him the name of the
product and he said he'd never heard of it. That's when I suggested he
use Google.
Old October 27th 18, 12:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

m...
wrote:

Chris wrote:

[...]

very funny

heard of "Pokefi"

Old October 27th 18, 12:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

Chris wrote:

[...]

I don't want to Google for it, to know what it is, now that you have told me
about it, that isn't the point. I believe you when you tell me it solves
the problem.

I am saying that if it does just happen to solve some problem that I want
solved (and it's now so long ago I've forgotten what that problem was).

I wont, at that earlier point, know to Google for information on it as the
solution to that problem, because I don't then know that it's the solution
to that problem.

tim

Old October 27th 18, 04:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 27/10/2018 10:58, Chris in Makati wrote:
But he does know what to search for. I told him the name of the
product and he said he'd never heard of it. That's when I suggested he
use Google.

I have often searched for something when I did not know its name.
Old October 27th 18, 07:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"MB" wrote in message news
On 27/10/2018 10:58, Chris in Makati wrote:
But he does know what to search for. I told him the name of the
product and he said he'd never heard of it. That's when I suggested he
use Google.

I have often searched for something when I did not know its name.

but you don't always get the answer

I'm currently engaged in such an exercise, and have failed to find that
which I want.

tim

Old October 27th 18, 08:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 27/10/2018 12:51, tim... wrote:

very funny

heard of "Pokefi"

Personally, I try to stay clear of things that poke me..!

Old October 28th 18, 05:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

Chris wrote:

[...]

Fine. I really couldn't care less whether you believe me or not. I'm
not selling anything. I was just passing on a suggestion for a cheaper
data roaming service that I've found useful.