Old October 23rd 18, 01:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Roaming charges port Brexit

Hopefully leaving most of the politics aside, does anyone have a feel for
how Brexit might affect roaming charges in Europe?

Asking because I plan to travel abroad next summer.

I realise that this is a "piece of string" question complicated by hard/
soft and perhaps a 2 year transition period.

Just attempting a bit of forward planning.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old October 23rd 18, 01:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

David wrote:

Hopefully leaving most of the politics aside, does anyone have a feel for
how Brexit might affect roaming charges in Europe?

Asking because I plan to travel abroad next summer.

I realise that this is a "piece of string" question complicated by hard/
soft and perhaps a 2 year transition period.

Here are several pieces of string ...

<https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/mobile-roaming-if-theres-no-brexit-deal/mobile-roaming-if-theres-no-brexit-deal
Old October 23rd 18, 03:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Tuesday, 23 October 2018 13:48:21 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
David wrote:

Hopefully leaving most of the politics aside, does anyone have a feel for
how Brexit might affect roaming charges in Europe?

Asking because I plan to travel abroad next summer.

I realise that this is a "piece of string" question complicated by hard/
soft and perhaps a 2 year transition period.

Here are several pieces of string ...

<https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/mobile-roaming-if-theres-no-brexit-deal/mobile-roaming-if-theres-no-brexit-deal

You will probably be OK if you have an existing contract with an actual network provider (O2, Voda, EE, 3).

You may well get ripped off if you take out a new contract or get service through an MVNO.

It might be worth investigating getting an Irish SIM...
Old October 23rd 18, 04:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

David wrote:

Hopefully leaving most of the politics aside, does anyone have a feel for
how Brexit might affect roaming charges in Europe?

Asking because I plan to travel abroad next summer.

I realise that this is a "piece of string" question complicated by hard/
soft and perhaps a 2 year transition period.

Here are several pieces of string ...

<https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/mobile-roaming-if-theres-no-brexit-deal/mobile-roaming-if-theres-no-brexit-deal

You will probably be OK if you have an existing contract with an actual network provider (O2, Voda, EE, 3).

You may well get ripped off if you take out a new contract or get service through an MVNO.

It might be worth investigating getting an Irish SIM...

.... or Isle of Man or Channel Island although it will then cost more for
people to ring you.

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old October 23rd 18, 05:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"David" wrote in message
Hopefully leaving most of the politics aside, does anyone have a feel for
how Brexit might affect roaming charges in Europe?

Asking because I plan to travel abroad next summer.

I realise that this is a "piece of string" question complicated by hard/
soft and perhaps a 2 year transition period.

Just attempting a bit of forward planning.

There's chatter that the companies wont want to upset the apple cart by
reintroducing charges.

But I don't believe that argument holds water

If there was a business case for making more money from people using their
phone aboard by allowing people to roam free rather than hitting them with
big charges and seeing 90% turn their phone off.

Then they would introduce free roaming in all countries that Brits regularly
travel to

but as an industry they don't (some see a marketing advantage from targeting
this market but the industry as whole doesn't follow them)

expect to see a move back to roaming charges, but probably not immediately

tim

Old October 23rd 18, 06:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 23/10/2018 17:08, tim... wrote:
There's chatter that the companies wont want to upset the apple cart by
reintroducing charges.

I would think that if any of the big companies decide to not make a
roaming charge then the others will follow.

But it will allow smaller companies to offer a cheaper rate with roaming
charges for those with no interest in going abroad and not wishing to
subsidise those who do.

Old October 23rd 18, 06:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Tuesday, 23 October 2018 17:10:02 UTC+1, tim... wrote:
"David" wrote in message
Hopefully leaving most of the politics aside, does anyone have a feel for
how Brexit might affect roaming charges in Europe?

Asking because I plan to travel abroad next summer.

I realise that this is a "piece of string" question complicated by hard/
soft and perhaps a 2 year transition period.

Just attempting a bit of forward planning.

There's chatter that the companies wont want to upset the apple cart by
reintroducing charges.

as discussed they probably won't for existing customers, especially as the nets now have their own back haul in Europe.

But I don't believe that argument holds water

If there was a business case for making more money from people using their
phone aboard by allowing people to roam free rather than hitting them with
big charges and seeing 90% turn their phone off.

Then they would introduce free roaming in all countries that Brits regularly
travel to

OTOH do not expect to see this concession on new contract / PAYG SIMs, nor on MVNO's (like Virgin, Talk Talk etc.) who do not have the infrastructure to insulate them from high foreign termination charges.

but as an industry they don't (some see a marketing advantage from targeting
this market but the industry as whole doesn't follow them)

expect to see a move back to roaming charges, but probably not immediately

Indeed. Sadly Brexit will give loads of opportunities for British consumers to be ripped off, whether it is customs duty, or just compliance and handling charges...

tim

Old October 23rd 18, 08:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 23/10/2018 17:08, tim... wrote:

expect to see a move back to roaming charges, but probably not immediately

tim

They can do what they like as far as I'm concerned. I rarely travel
abroad (unless you count visiting relatives in England) and even if I
did I'd get a local SIM in the country I was visiting.

Old October 24th 18, 07:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

tim... wrote:

"David" wrote in message
[...]

I'd agree with that. Just to add that Three's "feel at home" covers more
than the EU so it is possible for the status quo to remain IF the
termination charges don't change significantly. And that's a big 'if'. We
won't know for sure until the end of the transition period.

For next summer, I'd be reasonably confident that free roaming would still
be a thing. However, with a no-deal brexit all bets are off!

Old October 24th 18, 09:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Chris wrote:

I'd be reasonably confident that free roaming would still
be a thing. However, with a no-deal brexit all bets are off!

None of the networks would one to be seen to be first to re-introduce
roaming charges, especially as you say when they don't apply them in
places outside the EU.

If the networks tried to re-introduce charges at the same time to avoid
customers jumping ship to competitors who hadn't back-tracked, you'd
like to think they'd be investigated for collusion ...