Old October 31st 18, 08:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default "Mobile phone shop staff 'enabling Sim swap scams'"

"Mobile phone shop staff 'enabling Sim swap scams'

Staff in mobile phone shops have become key to the execution of "Sim
swap" scams, Watchdog Live has discovered.

Undercover filming revealed that O2 and Vodafone employees are bypassing
basic ID checks and handing over replacement Sim cards to potential
criminals.

Once fraudsters gain control of a mobile number, they can intercept SMS
text messages from banks containing security codes.

Scammers have drained thousands of pounds from victims' bank accounts."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46047714

Old November 1st 18, 08:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Wednesday, 31 October 2018 20:01:32 UTC, Java Jive wrote:
"Mobile phone shop staff 'enabling Sim swap scams'

Staff in mobile phone shops have become key to the execution of "Sim
swap" scams, Watchdog Live has discovered.

Undercover filming revealed that O2 and Vodafone employees are bypassing
basic ID checks and handing over replacement Sim cards to potential
criminals.

Once fraudsters gain control of a mobile number, they can intercept SMS
text messages from banks containing security codes.

Scammers have drained thousands of pounds from victims' bank accounts."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46047714

Whenever we have an issue with Giffgaff - which uses the O2 network - they ALWAYS suggest a SIM swap even if issues relate to the network. Now we know why. What a fraud. CJB
Old November 1st 18, 09:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
SB SB is offline

On Thursday, November 1, 2018 at 8:13:34 AM UTC, C wrote:
On Wednesday, 31 October 2018 20:01:32 UTC, Java Jive wrote:
"Mobile phone shop staff 'enabling Sim swap scams'

Staff in mobile phone shops have become key to the execution of "Sim
swap" scams, Watchdog Live has discovered.

Undercover filming revealed that O2 and Vodafone employees are bypassing
basic ID checks and handing over replacement Sim cards to potential
criminals.

Once fraudsters gain control of a mobile number, they can intercept SMS
text messages from banks containing security codes.

Scammers have drained thousands of pounds from victims' bank accounts."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46047714

Whenever we have an issue with Giffgaff - which uses the O2 network - they ALWAYS suggest a SIM swap even if issues relate to the network. Now we know why. What a fraud. CJB

Giffgaff (run on O2) allow SIMs to be ordered online - no questions asked. Wide open to fraudsters. CJB
Old November 1st 18, 09:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Thu, 1 Nov 2018 02:13:29 -0700 (PDT)
SB wrote:

Giffgaff (run on O2) allow SIMs to be ordered online - no questions
asked. Wide open to fraudsters. CJB

Not to a SIM swap attack though.

Martin Nicholas.

E-mail:

Old November 1st 18, 10:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

SB wrote:

Giffgaff (run on O2) allow SIMs to be ordered online - no questions
asked. Wide open to fraudsters. CJB

Not to a SIM swap attack though.

Martin Nicholas.

E-mail:

The issue is providers dishing out new SIM's on existing numbers, which are then 'hi-jacked' by the fraudster.

A lot of SIM's have needed swapping recently because either a new phone has a smaller slot or to gain access to 4G.

I would have thought however that the real subscriber would notice when service ceased on the old SIM and their phone stopped working.

I suspect the real issue here is that it is very easy to obtain a working [P&G] SIM on any network without any ID checks. Crim's can then put them in second hand phones bought in market stalls etc. and no-one knows who is using the phone. So probably a preamble to requiring full ID when buying a phone or SIM so that the state can keep tabs on you...

Old November 1st 18, 10:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 01/11/2018 08:13, C wrote:
On Wednesday, 31 October 2018 20:01:32 UTC, Java Jive wrote:
"Mobile phone shop staff 'enabling Sim swap scams'

Staff in mobile phone shops have become key to the execution of "Sim
swap" scams, Watchdog Live has discovered.

Undercover filming revealed that O2 and Vodafone employees are bypassing
basic ID checks and handing over replacement Sim cards to potential
criminals.

Once fraudsters gain control of a mobile number, they can intercept SMS
text messages from banks containing security codes.

Scammers have drained thousands of pounds from victims' bank accounts."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46047714

Whenever we have an issue with Giffgaff - which uses the O2 network - they ALWAYS suggest a SIM swap even if issues relate to the network. Now we know why. What a fraud. CJB

Or it could be because it can help (apart from with your paranoia) and
if they do need to replace the SIM they are better off starting the
process sooner rather than later to cover shipping times and how long it
takees you to find out how to replace the SIM in your phone.

I don't believe that Giffgaff are deliberately aiding and abetting this
as a policy - particularly as they don't have traditional shops where
local relationsships could come into play.
Old November 1st 18, 11:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 01/11/2018 08:10, Chronos wrote:
On Wed, 31 Oct 2018 20:01:25 +0000
Java Jive wrote:

Once fraudsters gain control of a mobile number, they can intercept
SMS text messages from banks containing security codes.

Which then leads to the question of why the hell the banks are still
using SMS for security purposes when it is clearly unsuitable. Even if
you take the clickbait "employees are bypassing basic ID checks" from
the equation, SMS is woefully inadequate as a two factor authentication
mechanism.

Yes, I once saw in a newsgroup, probably either uk.telecom.broadband or
uk.tech.digital-tv, a description of how open the system is, but cannot
find the thread now. However, I did find these, among the first of many
other hits for "sms security vulnerabilities":

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/18/1...ssword-bitcoin

https://securityintelligence.com/wha...ecommendation/
Old November 1st 18, 10:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Thu, 1 Nov 2018 03:04:12 -0700 (PDT), just as I was about to take a
herb, "R. Mark Clayton" disturbed my reverie

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/green...27s_apostrophe
--
Cheers,

DrT

"The best argument against democracy
is a five-minute conversation with
the average voter." - Winston Churchill
Old November 2nd 18, 02:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Wednesday, 31 October 2018 20:01:32 UTC, Java Jive wrote:
"Mobile phone shop staff 'enabling Sim swap scams'

Staff in mobile phone shops have become key to the execution of "Sim
swap" scams, Watchdog Live has discovered.

Undercover filming revealed that O2 and Vodafone employees are bypassing
basic ID checks and handing over replacement Sim cards to potential
criminals.

Once fraudsters gain control of a mobile number, they can intercept SMS
text messages from banks containing security codes.

Scammers have drained thousands of pounds from victims' bank accounts."

For PAYG there's no point in asking for photo ID if you don't know who
originally purchased the SIM. Anyone can walk into a supermarket, buy
a SIM, and use it without having to register their name.

Old November 2nd 18, 02:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 02/11/2018 02:01, Chris in Makati wrote:

For PAYG there's no point in asking for photo ID if you don't know who
originally purchased the SIM. Anyone can walk into a supermarket, buy
a SIM, and use it without having to register their name.

They should require registration before enabling a PAYG SIM. Orange used
to do this when they first started, after getting a phone you could only
ring CS to register, they then told you your number. This would also
stop the ludicrous business of millions of numbers sitting on shop
shelves that may well end up never being used.