Old November 1st 18, 09:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Texts to Italy fail on Giffgaff / O2

We have UK mobiles with Giffgaff SIMs. We have auto-top-ups. We don't have Goody bags because we don't 'do' data. Our phones make calls and send texts. However whenever we send texts to such as Italy they fail to arrive. Calls are OK.

Experimenting we have found that texts sent by friends on Virgin, Vodafone and EE always get through.

Texts sent on O2 and Giffgaff always fail to get through.

Giffgaff customer agents refuse to escalate this issue to O2. They always and invariably want a SIM swap first. Not sure why because the issue is with the O2 and Giffgaff networks not just the one phone. Scam?

BTW texts FROM Italy always arrive. So its a one-way block. It started on or around Sept. 10.

Any advice please? Thanks - CJB

Old November 1st 18, 10:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Thursday, 1 November 2018 09:01:34 UTC, C wrote:
We have UK mobiles with Giffgaff SIMs. We have auto-top-ups. We don't have Goody bags because we don't 'do' data. Our phones make calls and send texts. However whenever we send texts to such as Italy they fail to arrive. Calls are OK.

Experimenting we have found that texts sent by friends on Virgin, Vodafone and EE always get through.

Texts sent on O2 and Giffgaff always fail to get through.

Giffgaff customer agents refuse to escalate this issue to O2. They always and invariably want a SIM swap first. Not sure why because the issue is with the O2 and Giffgaff networks not just the one phone. Scam?

BTW texts FROM Italy always arrive. So its a one-way block. It started on or around Sept. 10.

Any advice please? Thanks - CJB

True text SMS should get through. I have noticed that [heavily chargeable] MMS messages with pictures require mobile data to be switched on and this is probably the problem.
Old November 1st 18, 12:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Thu, 1 Nov 2018 02:01:32 -0700 (PDT), C
wrote:

We have UK mobiles with Giffgaff SIMs. We have auto-top-ups. We don't have Goody bags because we don't 'do' data. Our phones make calls and send texts. However whenever we send texts to such as Italy they fail to arrive. Calls are OK.

Experimenting we have found that texts sent by friends on Virgin, Vodafone and EE always get through.

Texts sent on O2 and Giffgaff always fail to get through.

Giffgaff customer agents refuse to escalate this issue to O2. They always and invariably want a SIM swap first. Not sure why because the issue is with the O2 and Giffgaff networks not just the one phone. Scam?

BTW texts FROM Italy always arrive. So its a one-way block. It started on or around Sept. 10.

Any advice please? Thanks - CJB

I can't recall the outcome but I had similar issues with texts to an
Asian country - consistently couldn't send, but could receive and
could send via a different provider. It was a few years back and I
think the issue turned out to be Giffgaffs partner in the overseas
country.

Everyone (me included) now use WhatsApp.

--
AnthonyL
Old November 1st 18, 03:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Thursday, 1 November 2018 10:05:42 UTC, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
[...]

Not MMS texts - just simple SMS texts!! CJB
Old November 2nd 18, 04:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Thu, 01 Nov 2018 12:56:51 GMT
(AnthonyL) wrote:

Everyone (me included) now use WhatsApp.

...owned by Zuck's Networking Emporium Inc. which, going on their MO of
the past few years, is happily building up a profile of your social
network.

I couldn't say it better than Mark himself: "They trust me - dumb
****s."

I think that's what they call a “Ratnerism”.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old November 2nd 18, 08:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Fri, 02 Nov 2018 16:06:26 +0000
Graham. wrote:

On Thu, 01 Nov 2018 12:56:51 GMT
(AnthonyL) wrote:

Everyone (me included) now use WhatsApp.

...owned by Zuck's Networking Emporium Inc. which, going on their MO
of the past few years, is happily building up a profile of your
social network.

I couldn't say it better than Mark himself: "They trust me - dumb
****s."

I think that's what they call a “Ratnerism”.

Indeed, and in both cases the general public continue[d] to buy it.

I'm going to launch an anti-social medium. I'm going to call it
TangledWeb. I'll make a fortune.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old November 2nd 18, 08:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 02/11/2018 20:12, Graham. wrote:

I'm going to launch an anti-social medium. I'm going to call it
TangledWeb. I'll make a fortune.

I'll sign up for that.