Old November 19th 18, 11:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband

Default 5G will let users ditch fixed-line home broadband, says Three

On 19/11/2018 10:32, Chris in Makati wrote:

On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 09:17:05 +0000, Java Jive
wrote:

* Cost

By using mobile phone technology, they're using off-the-shelf technology
and modifying it to their requirements. This is much cheaper and more
reliable than developing a bespoke technology from scratch.

I wasn't suggesting there should be any development of new technology.
In fact quite the opposite. I said there were more solutions already
available than just using public mobile networks.

I suggest that you read the government announcement that I've already
linked.

* Coverage

While coverage is a problem, solving it will also help mobile phone
users in remote locations, thus killing two birds with one stone.

Will it?

Just because they're using 4G doesn't necessarily mean the network
will be available for public use. I haven't read anything that says
the general public will have access to their network.

AIUI, they are basing it on off-the-shelf 4G, the network for which they
are paying to have extended into remote areas. While the emergency
services will have priority, in normal non-emergency situations citizens
will be able to use the network the same as they already do now.
Elsewhere I've posted about a new mast in our neighbourhood constructed
as part of the emergency services rollout, which we managed to get moved
from its original intended location in the middle of a much photographed
view, and here at home my mobile now locks onto to that, rather than the
more distant one that it did before.

Old November 19th 18, 11:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 09/11/2018 20:10, NY wrote:
No, even in the villages of Ryedale, away from any planning restrictions
of Dales and Moors national parks, reception is bloody awful. It is
common to lose a call or get garbled, intermittent phone calls when
driving around - even on the main A64 trunk road, let alone in villages.
I accept that where there are three cottages and a farm - and nothing
for several miles - reception may be bad. But in areas where there's no
more than a mile or so in any direction between one village and the
next, and in a market town of several thousand people, there ought to be
good coverage. And there's not. I know well that there is no coverage on
one side of our house (but fairly good on the other) so I have to
constrain myself to one side of the house when I make receive a mobile
call. And if I go shopping, there is no coverage whatsoever at the
supermarket if I ever need to phone my wife to say "they haven't got X,
so will Y do instead". And I'm *very* used to the "not registered on
network" error :-(

I wonder if one day, a mobile maker will have the brilliant idea of
designing their phones so they can drop into a mount in the car that has
a proper connection to a cable going to an aerial on the roof of the
car! At work, when we still good Nokia GSM phones, we used to specify
that we wanted a high gain (I think that was the term) aerial on the
vehicles. You would then get a 6" or 1' antenna rather than one around
1" at the most. Now most use Bluetooth to a phone in their pocket and
wonder why the signal is poor!

Old November 19th 18, 11:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 18/11/2018 00:49, Chris in Makati wrote:
In both cases, they need to chose an alternative method of
communication that's more suited to the remote areas in which they
work and operate in.

I thought the specification of Airwave was cover all roads? Airwave
have vehicles that can take to major incidents requiring better comms
and most emergency service command vehicles have a satellite dish on the
roof.

TETRA can operate in a mode where a normal set can act as a relay but I
don't think Airwave ever used it. In the previous analogue world, many
police vehicles and all ambulances could act as a repeater so they could
talk to their control from a handheld set away from the vehicle.
Old November 19th 18, 12:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

Tweed wrote:
Java Jive wrote:
On 18/11/2018 13:22, Tweed wrote:

I can’t remember who on this thread is struggling with coverage, but I
think you were on Vodafone. Would O2 be any better, or are you one of the
unlucky 2/5%?

No, t'weren't me. I'm on Virgin (EE). My gripe is the lack of decent
data plans at an affordable price that would allow me to discontinue my
land line.

I doubt that will ever be the case. Mobile broadband uses a scarce resource
(spectrum) so it gets rationed by price. Even 5G, which improves capacity
by beam forming (ie spatially) and by going up in frequency (ie more cell
sites) is only reckoned to increase capacity by 3 to 5 times according to
Three. Heavy users aren’t really wanted by the mobile networks. Users who
contract to largish chunk of data each month but don’t use much of it are
the ideal customer. Whenever the marketing folk have triumphed over reality
and an unlimited plan has been put in the market it only seems to last a
short while before it either gets withdrawn or heavily restricted. Three
will do 40Gb for £23/month, but they seem reluctant to offer capacities
beyond that.

Which is nowhere near enough for many households. We'd use that up in a
week!

Landline internet is here to stay.

Old November 19th 18, 04:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband

On 19/11/2018 08:53, Chris in Makati wrote:

But, AIUI, the simple fact is, they haven't, they've chosen 4G.

You asked if I was saying they shouldn't be able to communicate. Now
you say it's their choice to use a system that may not be suitable. If
it's their choice then it's not something that's forced on them.

It's more than likely that the choice was made by the accountants and
holders of the purse-strings rather than the operational officers, who
simply want a system that works.