Old November 13th 18, 11:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Phone slowing down - any ideas?

My Motorola G4 Play seems to be getting slower to start, slower to
shut down and generally running slower. Is there any 'best practice'
I should be following, such as clearing caches or disabling slow
programs, or any diagnostic app? Thanks.

Old November 13th 18, 12:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Scott wrote:
My Motorola G4 Play seems to be getting slower to start, slower to
shut down and generally running slower. Is there any 'best practice'
I should be following, such as clearing caches or disabling slow
programs, or any diagnostic app? Thanks.

Disable all updates! :-) If you don't the program space steadily
fills up and (it seems to me anyway) everything gets slower.

--
Chris Green
·
Old November 13th 18, 03:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 13/11/2018 12:15, Chris Green wrote:
Scott wrote:
My Motorola G4 Play seems to be getting slower to start, slower to
shut down and generally running slower. Is there any 'best practice'
I should be following, such as clearing caches or disabling slow
programs, or any diagnostic app? Thanks.

Disable all updates! :-) If you don't the program space steadily
fills up and (it seems to me anyway) everything gets slower.

Root the phone and get rid of all the bloatware.

Old November 14th 18, 09:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 12:15:36 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

Scott wrote:
My Motorola G4 Play seems to be getting slower to start, slower to
shut down and generally running slower. Is there any 'best practice'
I should be following, such as clearing caches or disabling slow
programs, or any diagnostic app? Thanks.

Disable all updates! :-) If you don't the program space steadily
fills up and (it seems to me anyway) everything gets slower.

Thanks. Is it sensible to disable updates of apps in use? I agree it
is a good idea to disable apps not in use. The internal memory is
only half full (I have an SD card) so I'm not sure memory is the
problem. I tried clearing caches and some data but this seems to have
made little difference.
Old November 14th 18, 09:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Scott wrote:
My Motorola G4 Play seems to be getting slower to start, slower to
shut down and generally running slower. Is there any 'best practice'
I should be following, such as clearing caches or disabling slow
programs, or any diagnostic app? Thanks.

Disable all updates! :-) If you don't the program space steadily
fills up and (it seems to me anyway) everything gets slower.

Root the phone and get rid of all the bloatware.

The last time I rooted a phone the camera never worked properly again
and the battery life got worse.

Old November 14th 18, 11:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Scott wrote:
My Motorola G4 Play seems to be getting slower to start, slower to
shut down and generally running slower. Is there any 'best practice'
I should be following, such as clearing caches or disabling slow
programs, or any diagnostic app? Thanks.

Deleting anything big that you don't really use might help. The
pedometer I quite like is responsible for a fair proportion of my
battery use but it doesn't slow things down noticeably.

Disable all updates! :-) If you don't the program space steadily
fills up and (it seems to me anyway) everything gets slower.

Thanks. Is it sensible to disable updates of apps in use? I agree it
is a good idea to disable apps not in use. The internal memory is
only half full (I have an SD card) so I'm not sure memory is the
problem. I tried clearing caches and some data but this seems to have
made little difference.

As they get older some phones at least throttle back the CPU speed to
extend battery life as the battery capacity fades. Apple have had to
offer at cost replacement batteries for phones badly affected by this.

ISTR the battery swap offer expires either end of this month or year.

My Moto G4 is slowly losing battery capacity at four years old.

Martin Brown
Old November 14th 18, 04:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

Root the phone and get rid of all the bloatware.

The last time I rooted a phone the camera never worked properly again
and the battery life got worse.

Hmm, that's never happened here. What phone..?

Old November 15th 18, 04:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Scott wrote:
[...]

I knew about Apple.

ISTR the battery swap offer expires either end of this month or year.

My Moto G4 is slowly losing battery capacity at four years old.

If I replace my battery will this reset, or is there a way of
resetting it?