Old November 14th 18, 03:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Old Orange plans disappearing

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 15:40:57 +0000, Tony Mountifield wrote:

In article , Chris wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
I have an old legacy Orange SIM that was sold on the basis of getting 5
free SMS messages a day for life. The other day I got a message stating
that the plan is closing and all users are going to be migrated to
wonderful new EE plans.

Not impressed. Fortunately it is now only a spare number I use if I want
to send a message to someone I don't want to know my main number, but
it's still annoying.

You can use #31# on mobiles to hide your number like 141 on landlines.

You can use 141 on mobiles too. Just tried it.

But I've found you can't do the reverse with 1470 - you need *31#

Old November 14th 18, 05:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Tony Mountifield wrote:
In article , Chris wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
I have an old legacy Orange SIM that was sold on the basis of getting 5
free SMS messages a day for life. The other day I got a message stating
that the plan is closing and all users are going to be migrated to
wonderful new EE plans.

Not impressed. Fortunately it is now only a spare number I use if I want
to send a message to someone I don't want to know my main number, but
it's still annoying.

You can use #31# on mobiles to hide your number like 141 on landlines.

You can use 141 on mobiles too. Just tried it.

Must be network specific as it didn't work for my wife on Idmobile.

Old November 14th 18, 08:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 14/11/2018 18:19, Chris wrote:
Tony Mountifield wrote:
In article , Chris wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
I have an old legacy Orange SIM that was sold on the basis of getting 5
free SMS messages a day for life. The other day I got a message stating
that the plan is closing and all users are going to be migrated to
wonderful new EE plans.

Not impressed. Fortunately it is now only a spare number I use if I want
to send a message to someone I don't want to know my main number, but
it's still annoying.

You can use #31# on mobiles to hide your number like 141 on landlines.

You can use 141 on mobiles too. Just tried it.

Must be network specific as it didn't work for my wife on Idmobile.

Didn't work for me, either.

Old November 15th 18, 01:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Tony Mountifield wrote:
In article , Chris wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
I have an old legacy Orange SIM that was sold on the basis of getting 5
free SMS messages a day for life. The other day I got a message stating
that the plan is closing and all users are going to be migrated to
wonderful new EE plans.

Not impressed. Fortunately it is now only a spare number I use if I want
to send a message to someone I don't want to know my main number, but
it's still annoying.

You can use #31# on mobiles to hide your number like 141 on landlines.

You can use 141 on mobiles too. Just tried it.

Must be network specific as it didn't work for my wife on Idmobile.

Didn't work for me, either.

That's odd. 141 has worked on every mobile phone I've ever had. It's
a prefix, not a stand-alone command.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old November 15th 18, 01:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Tony Mountifield wrote:
In article , Chris wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
I have an old legacy Orange SIM that was sold on the basis of getting 5
free SMS messages a day for life. The other day I got a message stating
that the plan is closing and all users are going to be migrated to
wonderful new EE plans.

Not impressed. Fortunately it is now only a spare number I use if I want
to send a message to someone I don't want to know my main number, but
it's still annoying.

You can use #31# on mobiles to hide your number like 141 on landlines.

You can use 141 on mobiles too. Just tried it.

Must be network specific as it didn't work for my wife on Idmobile.

Didn't work for me, either.

That's odd. 141 has worked on every mobile phone I've ever had. It's
a prefix, not a stand-alone command.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Pretty sure it depends on the network.

Old December 22nd 18, 07:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 20/12/2018 23:18, Pamela wrote:
On 23:15 13 Nov 2018, Nick wrote in
:

In ,
wrote:
I have an old legacy Orange SIM that was sold on the basis of getting 5
free SMS messages a day for life. The other day I got a message stating
that the plan is closing and all users are going to be migrated to
wonderful new EE plans.

EE are price gouging b*st*rds. They already effectively "cancelled"
a whole load of Orange contracts - the Virgin EQ and other EQ packages -
by increasing the prices to ten times what they had been. Since that's
what EE think of long term customer loyalty, they can go swivel.

On the plus side, it drove me to Three who are even cheaper than the
Virgin EQ tariff was, it's just that the billing is much less convenient.

Nick

A friend of mine still uses the Virgin EQ tariff on Orange. Which is the
tariff on Three you mention that might match it?

Do you mean the one which charged 15ppm for the first 5 minutes in a day
and then 5ppm for the rest of the day?

I don't see how your friend can still be on that - they did away with it
yonks ago.

The Three tariff referred to is probably their PAYG 3-2-1 deal where
voice calls are 3ppm, texts are 2p and data is 1p per MB - and I think
you still get some free data every time you top up, but not as much as
you used to get. Presumably less convenient because you have to make
sure you've always got some credit, rather than being billed in arrear.
Also, you need a phone which is at least 3G capable to be able to use
it, whereas Orange EQ Virgin only needed 2G.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old December 29th 18, 03:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 29/12/2018 15:22, Pamela wrote:

Does this tariff temrinate if you don't use it after a few months? I
lookd here but it doesn't show the small prints with such terms.

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/Pay_As_You_Go_Price_Plans

No, it doesn't. We have three SIM cards on that tariff. Two are used
regularly as our normal everyday phones, but the third is a spare that
was originally bought to be used as a contact number for a charity that
my other half volunteered for. When that (sadly) went bust through loss
of funding, the SIM got put to one side. I just tried it out and it's
still live, even though it hasn't been used in anger for at least 6 months.

Old December 29th 18, 05:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Sat 29/12/2018 15:22, Pamela wrote:
On 20:01 22 Dec 2018, Roger Mills wrote in
:

wrote:
[...]

That's the one. Orange honoured existing OVP-VM contracts but in recent
years they put up the price of calls until they became punitive.
However after 0800 became free once more, the OVP-VM had a new lease of
life. My friend uses it mainly for incoming calls,

The Three tariff referred to is probably their PAYG 3-2-1 deal where
voice calls are 3ppm, texts are 2p and data is 1p per MB - and I think
you still get some free data every time you top up, but not as much as
you used to get. Presumably less convenient because you have to make
sure you've always got some credit, rather than being billed in
arrear. Also, you need a phone which is at least 3G capable to be able
to use it, whereas Orange EQ Virgin only needed 2G.

Does this tariff temrinate if you don't use it after a few months? I
lookd here but it doesn't show the small prints with such terms.

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/Pay_As_You_Go_Price_Plans

ISTR somewhere that 3 say they never cut anyone off. For family reasons
I am having to use a spare phone at the moment which had/has a 3 SIM in
it - and the last time I used it was early 2016 and it still works.

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old December 29th 18, 08:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 29/12/2018 18:34, Woody wrote:
On Sat 29/12/2018 15:22, Pamela wrote:

Does this tariff temrinate if you don't use it after a few months?* I
lookd here but it doesn't show the small prints with such terms.

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/Pay_As_You_Go_Price_Plans

ISTR somewhere that 3 say they never cut anyone off. For family reasons
I am having to use a spare phone at the moment which had/has a 3 SIM in
it - and the last time I used it was early 2016 and it still works.

Looking again, it does say on that page that you should make a call,
send a text or use some data once every 6 months to keep it active,
which is fairly standard. I've left them for longer than that, though.

Old December 31st 18, 04:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Mon 31/12/2018 17:15, Pamela wrote:
On 16:39 29 Dec 2018, MissRiaElaine wrote in
:

On 29/12/2018 15:22, Pamela wrote:

Does this tariff temrinate if you don't use it after a few months? I
lookd here but it doesn't show the small prints with such terms.

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/Pay_As_You_Go_Price_Plans

No, it doesn't. We have three SIM cards on that tariff. Two are used
regularly as our normal everyday phones, but the third is a spare that
was originally bought to be used as a contact number for a charity that
my other half volunteered for. When that (sadly) went bust through loss
of funding, the SIM got put to one side. I just tried it out and it's
still live, even though it hasn't been used in anger for at least 6
months.

Would this work? ....

I get a Three PAYG SIM, buy £10 of credit and port my cherished Orange
contract number to it.

That way I still get incoming calls and texts to my old number.

In return, I need to make a call every six months or so.

Better still port it to GiffGaff which is all done on line and takes 24 hrs.

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com