Old December 31st 18, 10:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Old Orange plans disappearing

On 31/12/2018 17:15, Pamela wrote:

Would this work? ....

I get a Three PAYG SIM, buy £10 of credit and port my cherished Orange
contract number to it.

That way I still get incoming calls and texts to my old number.

In return, I need to make a call every six months or so.

It should do, yes. My main number, currently on Three PAYG, has in its
time been on just about every network going..!

Old December 31st 18, 10:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 31/12/2018 17:44, Woody wrote:
On Mon 31/12/2018 17:15, Pamela wrote:

Would this work? ....

I get a Three PAYG SIM, buy £10 of credit and port my cherished Orange
contract number to it.

That way I still get incoming calls and texts to my old number.

In return, I need to make a call every six months or so.

Better still port it to GiffGaff which is all done on line and takes 24
hrs.

But what is the cost per minute etc. on that..?

Old January 1st 19, 09:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

MissRiaElaine writes:

On 31/12/2018 17:44, Woody wrote:
On Mon 31/12/2018 17:15, Pamela wrote:

Would this work? ....

I get a Three PAYG SIM, buy £10 of credit and port my cherished Orange
contract number to it.

That way I still get incoming calls and texts to my old number.

In return, I need to make a call every six months or so.

Better still port it to GiffGaff which is all done on line and takes
24 hrs.

But what is the cost per minute etc. on that..?

GiffGaff is 15p/min, though free to GG numbers if it is 3 months or less
since your last top up. Three is 3p/min to all numbers. You can find
rates for all UK PAYG tariffs on my web site (see sig).

Nearly all operators allow you to port in your old number. The big thing
to watch for is that you must request the PAC from your old plan. If you
cancel an old contract without or before requesting a PAC you can lose
your number.

There might be an issue using a PAC to change plans within the same
operator. If you are considering using EE it would be worth asking them
if you can keep your Orange number. That issue should be moot as EE PAYG
is expensive and you can use their network on other MVNOs such as Asda
and 1pMobile.

Most plans require you to use them at least every six months. There are
exceptions with more stringent requirements:

https://payg.pythonanywhere.com/#inactivity

--
Pete Forman
https://payg.pythonanywhere.com
Old January 2nd 19, 07:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 31/12/2018 17:15, Pamela wrote:
On 16:39 29 Dec 2018, MissRiaElaine wrote in
:

On 29/12/2018 15:22, Pamela wrote:

Does this tariff temrinate if you don't use it after a few months? I
lookd here but it doesn't show the small prints with such terms.

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/Pay_As_You_Go_Price_Plans

No, it doesn't. We have three SIM cards on that tariff. Two are used
regularly as our normal everyday phones, but the third is a spare that
was originally bought to be used as a contact number for a charity that
my other half volunteered for. When that (sadly) went bust through loss
of funding, the SIM got put to one side. I just tried it out and it's
still live, even though it hasn't been used in anger for at least 6
months.

Would this work? ....

I get a Three PAYG SIM, buy £10 of credit and port my cherished Orange
contract number to it.

You can top up on Three for less than a tenner. Definitely £5 (online)
and possibly as little as £2

[snip]
Old January 3rd 19, 09:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 19:43:53 +0000, Mark wrote:
You can top up on Three for less than a tenner. Definitely £5 (online)
and possibly as little as £2

AFAIK only the data reward SIMs can be topped up with £2:
https://www.three.co.uk/Free_SIM_MBB/Order

Christof

http://cmeerw.org sip:cmeerw at cmeerw.org
mailto:cmeerw at cmeerw.org xmpp:cmeerw at cmeerw.org

Old January 7th 19, 08:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Pamela writes:

On 21:52 1 Jan 2019, Pete Forman wrote in
:

MissRiaElaine writes:

[...]

That site of yours is very useful. Thanks for maintaining it.

How come calls from Three PAYG are so cheap?

It used to cost more to call Three numbers. Is this still the case and
is this how Three keep their PAYG charges so low?

A better question is why are so many plans so expensive.

All UK mobile networks cost the same to call. Not all 07 numbers are UK
mobiles.

https://payg.pythonanywhere.com/#mobile
| Numbers starting 07 are mostly UK mobile and will be charged at the
| rate shown in the same or other column depending on whether the number
| shares your operator. There is no way of knowing that as the 5 digit
| prefix only indicates the original operator. Many numbers have been
| ported to different operators.
|
| 070 and 076 numbers are for personal numbers and pagers. They attract
| higher charges for PAYG customers and are not included in contracts or
| bundles.
|
| There are more complicated exceptions. More than 40 prefixes are for
| Jersey, Guernsey or the Isle of Man; they are not part of the United
| Kingdom. Again they cost more from PAYG and are excluded from
| contracts. There may be other exceptions for niche services. The
| exceptions are not standard, you have to look in the fine print of
| each operator to see exactly which prefixes are excluded.

The other exception is that some plans offer free calls and texts to
other numbers using their service ("on net"). Those free calls generally
last for 30 days after a top up. Giffgaff are better at 90 days.

Termination charges used to be more significant. They are currently
capped by Ofcom at 0.49p/min and so that is why we no longer see a
difference.

--
Pete Forman
https://payg.pythonanywhere.com
Old January 7th 19, 03:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 07/01/2019 08:00, Pete Forman wrote:

The other exception is that some plans offer free calls and texts to
other numbers using their service ("on net"). Those free calls generally
last for 30 days after a top up. Giffgaff are better at 90 days.

Termination charges used to be more significant. They are currently
capped by Ofcom at 0.49p/min and so that is why we no longer see a
difference.

I refuse to pay money to any service that expires before I've spent all
of it. If I pay for £10 of calls then I expect to get £10 of calls,
whether I take 30 days or 30 years over it.

Old January 7th 19, 10:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

MissRiaElaine writes:

I refuse to pay money to any service that expires before I've spent
all of it. If I pay for £10 of calls then I expect to get £10 of
calls, whether I take 30 days or 30 years over it.

All PAYG operators have an inactivity time out after which they cut you
off and you forfeit any credit. For most that is 180 days but the worst
is 30 days. Anecdotally the strict terms are not always applied and you
may get away with longer periods. Obviously you cannot rely on that and
in any case it is good practice to use your phone at least every month
or two. Contract termination is just one thing that can go wrong. Your
phone battery may die or your operator can go under (I list 50 who
are now defunct).

--
Pete Forman
https://payg.pythonanywhere.com